Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415

Default Re: Wade vs Kobe: Better prime.

Quote Originally Posted by havoc33
    Why would you though? A players prime usually start in their mid to late 20s, and lasts no more than 4-5 years. They might still perform at a high level after this, but physically they have started a noticeable decline. Magic's peak was 86-90. MJ was 89-93.

Now let's compare Kobe and Wade. Kobe's peak is 06-10. Wade is 2008-2012. I don't have time to look up the numbers, but I'm quite sure they are somewhat similar, as both Kobe and Wade had great individual seasons in this period. However, if you look beyond the stats, Wade was injured several times throughout his prime, while Kobe played almost every game. Furthermore, here are the accolades for Kobe in this period: 1 x regular season MVP, won 2/3 Finals as first option, 2xFMVP, 5 x All NBA First Team and 5 x All NBA Defensive First team. Now look at Wade: won 1/2 Finals as second option, only 2 x All NBA First Team and never made the All NBA Defensive First Team.

So it's kinda interesting to think about how Kobe won three chips early on outside his prime as the second option (or 1b as you might call it in 01 and 02), while Wade's was the first option on his one title outside of his prime. You can't say that 2006 was part of Wade's prime, it was just a great individual year early on, much like Kobe had in 2001. Either way you look at it, Kobe beats Wade both when comparing primes and their careers as a whole.
    It's a semantics issue. I thought we were discussing absolute peaks. In that case, it's 2009 Wade vs 2006 Kobe and I'll take Wade everytime. Defensively, he's a tier above. Kobe, in my opinion, stopped playing lockdown defense after the 2004 season. I don't blame him. It is energy consuming and he had to preserve much of it to carry the Lakers offensively. But I'd take Wade. At their absolute peaks, Wade was a better playmaker and defensive player. Like I said, over their careers (or even a long stretch) maybe you would take Kobe. But that's because of Wade's injuries. Basketball wise, I don't see any argument here is we are talking peak vs peak.

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Feeny
    It's a semantics issue. I thought we were discussing absolute peaks. In that case, it's 2009 Wade vs 2006 Kobe and I'll take Wade everytime. Defensively, he's a tier above. Kobe, in my opinion, stopped playing lockdown defense after the 2004 season. I don't blame him. It is energy consuming and he had to preserve much of it to carry the Lakers offensively. But I'd take Wade. At their absolute peaks, Wade was a better playmaker and defensive player. Like I said, over their careers (or even a long stretch) maybe you would take Kobe. But that's because of Wade's injuries. Basketball wise, I don't see any argument here is we are talking peak vs peak.
    2006 wasn't even Kobe's best season? There's more to the game than PER and PPG will ever tell you. In the end it's subjective of course, but I do think you are overrating Wade and underrating Kobe. While Kobe wasn't deserving of all his defensive first team selections, he certainly still played good D when it mattered during 06-10, and could still lock down in the Playoffs, which he did on Westbrook in 2010. I also don't consider Wade a much better playmaker. Their offensive games are just molded a bit differently, but as Kobe showed during the first threepeat, and in spurts during the 09 and 10 runs, he was a very good floor leader and could rack up the assists when needed. If you want to talk about allround game, it is no coincidence that Kobe has 17 career triple doubles while Wade has only four.

Wade had one sensational year where you could arguably make a case for him being as good or better as Kobe, but much like in T-Mac's case, clinging on to that one magical year just doesn't cut it overall. Wade has never been considered a better player than prime Kobe, and it's not really close when you look at it. Unless you wanna cherry pick seasons like you are doing of course, and put a heavy emphasis on advanced statistics.
    Last edited by havoc33; 03-07-2014 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by havoc33
    2006 wasn't even Kobe's best season? There's more to the game than PER and PPG will ever tell you. In the end it's subjective of course, but I do think you are overrating Wade and underrating Kobe. While Kobe wasn't deserving of all his defensive first team selections, he certainly still played good D when it mattered during 06-10, and could still lock down in the Playoffs, which he did on Westbrook in 2010. I also don't consider Wade a much better playmaker. Their offensive games are just molded a bit differently, but as Kobe showed during the first threepeat, and in spurts during the 09 and 10 runs, he was a very good floor leader and could rack up the assists when needed. If you want to talk about allround game, it is no coincidence that Kobe has 17 career triple doubles while Wade has only four.

Wade had one sensational year where you could arguably make a case for him being as good or better as Kobe, but much like in T-Mac's case, clinging on to that one magical year just doesn't cut it overall. Wade has never been considered a better player than prime Kobe, and it's not really close when you look at it. Unless you wanna cherry pick seasons like you are doing of course, and put a heavy emphasis on advanced
    I'd argue the exact opposite. Whether it is 2008-2010 Kobe, 2003 Kobe, or 2006 Kobe, none of them were as good as 2009-2010 Wade. It's all about opinion so you can't be wrong if you think Kobe is better. I just don't think Kobe was ever as good as 2009-2010 Wade. That's all the argument is about really. Peak for peak.

NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

Ni99as straight talk out of their ass on ISH.

HCJ in this thread = Pure comedy.

i take kobe.

1. Wade only in the EC, putting up those numbers in the EC has to be put in relation.

2. kobe is not a ***** who needs a wheelchair for a shoulder injury, cry me a river-like whining....only to appear few minutes later, like there was nothing.
    kobe didnt need to joke in a nba final about the opponents best man like childish biatches

Peak play is close, but in terms of prime? Kobe and it's not even close, due to his prime lasting for much longer.

Kobe's prime was much longer than Wades. Kobe for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by pastis
    i take kobe.

1. Wade only in the EC, putting up those numbers in the EC has to be put in relation.

2. kobe is not a ***** who needs a wheelchair for a shoulder injury, cry me a river-like whining....only to appear few minutes later, like there was nothing.
    kobe didnt need to joke in a nba final about the opponents best man like childish biatches

Wade does and always has tended to put up bigger numbers against Western Conference teams - so enough with that nonsense. It is not harder to put up numbers in the Western Conference, harder to win yes, but to put up good stats? Don't be absurd.

Wade has even scored 20,000 points yet

Is Wade even in the 20k/4k/4k club? Let alone the 30k/6k/6k club.

Prime Wade over Kobe. Wade would actually shut Kobe down 1 versus 1 and Wade is without a doubt the better playmaker and teammate.

Give me the playmaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    Is Wade even in the 20k/4k/4k club? Let alone the 30k/6k/6k club.
    What do aggregated career stats have to do with a player's prime?

Peak Wade was better. Prime Kobe was better. /end thread

Cali Love

Quote Originally Posted by derb2k2
    Prime Wade over Kobe. Wade would actually shut Kobe down 1 versus 1 and Wade is without a doubt the better playmaker and teammate.

Give me the playmaker.
    oh please

late-prime kobe was dropping gamewinners on peak wade's ass like it was nothing.

08 kobe>09 d wade all day