Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Re: Draft Busts For 2012

I only caught a few UConn games, but Drummond was invisible.

I rule the local playground ukfan22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AAckley1
    Rivers = Tyreke Evans...he's essentially a scrub if the ball isn't in his hands. He checks out on plays drawn up for Curry

MKG & Davis are the only two players in the draft who will earn All-NBA honors in this draft.

Davis will have a 15/10/3/3 season at least once in his career. He's as close to a lock for at least one DPOY as I've ever seen. He comes in and adds 15 wins to a team next year strictly because of his effort and defensive acumen.

MKG has that "it" factor that is just visible when watching some players. His performance in the title game really impressed me on multiple levels. He was getting HAMMERED in the post with no fouls getting called & didn't appear flustered once. He's a Top 20 on-ball wing defender by his second season in the NBA. I see no situation where MKG doesn't at least = Gerald Wallace.
    Davis could average that as a rookie

I am Chris Wilcox

Drummond needs to do what Greg Monroe did and stay in college for another year. He can go pro after 1 year, but it's not a smart decision, he needs another year to develop his game.

Don't understand the hate for Davis, he is ready I think. He's smart, he can dribble extremely well, he can run with the ball, he's insanely long and can rebound and block shots like nobody else.

The only problem I see is that he just doesn't have enough strength or weight behind him. That's gonna cost him at the NBA level. Sure, he's got quickness and agility, but the guy is still pencil thin. That quickness is not going to do anything for him in the post in the NBA, unless he gets stronger.

I don't think he's going to become anything spectacular on the offensive end, but I can see him becoming one of the best defensive players in the league for a long time to come.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

People're hating on Davis so they can bump threads in 3 years if he blows out his knee like they knew something no one else did. Then they remember he turned 19 like 3 weeks ago and that whole "HOLY SHIT HE DOESN'T WEIGHT 250!" shit sounds even stupider. This time of year is what sucks for the draft prospects. People watch 4 games of Player X andhe's not current Dwight or Lebron so he must not be any good.

Davis is a legitimate franchise maker. If it weren't for Jordan being a complete moron I'd be incredibly happy for Bobcats fans. The fans absolutely deserve him, the management doesn't at all.

drummond the next bigman with raw game but massive potential

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    People're hating on Davis so they can bump threads in 3 years if he blows out his knee like they knew something no one else did. Then they remember he turned 19 like 3 weeks ago and that whole "HOLY SHIT HE DOESN'T WEIGHT 250!" shit sounds even stupider. This time of year is what sucks for the draft prospects. People watch 4 games of Player X andhe's not current Dwight or Lebron so he must not be any good.

Davis is a legitimate franchise maker. If it weren't for Jordan being a complete moron I'd be incredibly happy for Bobcats fans. The fans absolutely deserve him, the management doesn't at all.
    agreed. i think some people aren't understanding growth spurts. it takes time to fill out. your bones grow while your muscles, tendons and ligaments get stretched. ask anybody who had a big growth spurt...it can be painful and not fun. you're basically all gangly and all limbs.

anyway, look at camby in college. he wasn't much bigger than davis is now. davis has broad shoulders so i think he has the frame to add weight. and if he becomes wiry strong like KG or crash wallace, is that such a major downfall? he'll be fine in this era of big men. it's not like he's going to be facing shaqs and ewings and tons of guys with back to the basket games. he'll get backed down early in his career as he gains weight but again, i don't see much problem once he starts lifting more.

i think people are getting ahead of themselves and picturing prime duncan when any sort of comparison is made. obviously, scouts can only project and look at their games at respective ages. it's unfair to both guys otherwise.

as far as MKG, i think his high motor will always keep him relevant. do i see a high ceiling? not really. however, he seems smart enough and has the work ethic to be relevant. at the least, he can be a potential defensive stopper who should be able to rebound and get some putbacks. guys like that usually find ways to stick around.

now for busts, i'm not feeling drummond or barnes. i'm no huge fan of austin rivers or robinson either. beal could go either way - i wonder if he's able to create off the dribble enough. meeks was a great scorer in college but suffers from the same problem and its hindered his nba game

Quote Originally Posted by iDunk
    Andre Drummond - Will take a LONG time to develop, so long that teams might give up on him

Harrison Barnes - He'll be a solid player, but never an all star. Marvin Williams mold.
    Well it seems that Harrison Barnes is more NBA-ready than Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and perhaps every small forward in this draft class.

Also people have been dissing this draft class 'cause no one put up stats like Kevin Durant and Michael Beasley did. This is a joke, come on, you cant get more than 15ppg in a team like UK when your teammates have to share shots. Place any starting five of UK in a team barely making it to the NCAA tournament and you see him averaging 25ppg.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by ukfan22
    Doubtful. You guys are putting way too much stock into that guy.
    Last edited by midatlantic09; 04-04-2012 at 07:45 AM.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat
    Drummond is the Thabeet of this class.
    except drummond has an nba ready body unlike thabeet. and OP, Marcus Camby would go 1# on any of the last drafts

Local High School Star bballnoob's Avatar

Jones is my bust candidate (would he go top 10?). Skill level just isn't there as far as him sticking and defending at the 3 position and all the tweener cliches apply to him playing the 4. As mentioned, his motor is not all that impressive either.

Can't see Davis merely being a role player. With his fluidity and IQ on offense already, I don't see what makes him that much worse than most rookie big men that entered the league.

I have a feeling one of the guys who's stock has fallen since last year like Barnes, Sullinger, or Jones is going to turn out to be an absolute steal for a team later in the lottery. Really depends on the situation they end up in. Barnes on the right team could be a great piece for someone.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by ukfan22
    People on this board severely over-rate 99% of players peak & average seasons before looking at current players when doing so.

The guy who says Rivers will peak at 23/4/6... Only like 5 guys in the NBA are putting up stats like that right now & Austin Rivers isn't D-Wade or Russell Westbrook.

15/10/3/3 for Davis as a rookie is absolutely absurd. Serge Ibaka is the only player in the league currently averaging over 3 blocks a game. In addition, Davis is acquiring most of his rebounds at the college level due to understanding of rebounding angles, athleticism & his insane wingspan. Multiple times during the title game, Robinson & Withey moved Davis out of position for rebounds & that is only going to continue at the pro level until his lower body strength increases. All these factors add up to suggest that Davis will have a below expectation rookie season unless the team who drafts him puts him in a high post or triple threat oriented offense that allows him to use his guard skills in combination with his excellent height to facilitate the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by AAckley1
    People on this board severely over-rate 99% of players peak & average seasons before looking at current players when doing so.

The guy who says Rivers will peak at 23/4/6... Only like 5 guys in the NBA are putting up stats like that right now & Austin Rivers isn't D-Wade or Russell Westbrook.

15/10/3/3 for Davis as a rookie is absolutely absurd. Serge Ibaka is the only player in the league currently averaging over 3 blocks a game. In addition, Davis is acquiring most of his rebounds at the college level due to understanding of rebounding angles, athleticism & his insane wingspan. Multiple times during the title game, Robinson & Withey moved Davis out of position for rebounds & that is only going to continue at the pro level until his lower body strength increases. All these factors add up to suggest that Davis will have a below expectation rookie season unless the team who drafts him puts him in a high post or triple threat oriented offense that allows him to use his guard skills in combination with his excellent height to facilitate the offense.

That dosen't seem absurd to me at all. maybe he'll come in a little bit under 10 rebounds, but i see him getting close to 3 blocks a game as a real possibility.

Also, whatever team drafts him isn't going to have a lot going for them (see: bobcats, wizards, hornets), so they can afford to adjust their offense to accommodate him while he adjusts to the NBA.
    Last edited by ralph_i_el; 04-04-2012 at 01:01 PM.

Wroten and Nicholson are both going to be steals.