Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    Fire Dwane Casey

Default Re: MMA fighter vs Street Thug

Also something to think about: If the MMA fighter was the one who provoked the fight he damn sure would have gave the black dude a few more shots in the end after the black guy had enough along with his buddy who looked like he was ready to jump in at points of the fight.

NBA Superstar

I have absolutely zero fighting experience so any opinion I have on this matter is likely weightless, but I personally don't find an issue with using kicks in a fight. Would I kick someone if I ever were to find myself in fight? Probably not, because I know I would suck at it. And that's not to say I'd be good at throwing fists, it just seems me trying a lame kick would only open myself up to having my leg caught and then flipped head over heels or something (like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN_at9fJ1XQ#t=1m32s ).

I think the dunking analogy is a relatively fair one. Would I dunk on a pack of 3rd graders? Nah. But would I relent from dunking against a group of players in my same general age level but not necessarily at my same skill level? I think not. If someone has developed a reasonable skill within a particular endeavor, they should be able to utilize it. Then again, I guess the argument would be whether kicking should be a part of fighting to begin with, not just whether it should be used. And again, I do think it has a place in a fight (but what do I know).

Three other things:

1. I fully agree with GOBB's point about kicking and hitting someone while they're down. I think that has no place anywhere. That is well beyond the line for me.

2. The video referring to the MMA fighter's opponent simply as "Street Thug" makes it feel like we're playing Double Dragon.

3. I don't know how highly trained of a fighter the guy was, but he was solid enough to showcase he's above a regular guy's "street" level fighting technique. Sometimes I think it's neat to see the visual evidence of how good people trained in a specific craft are in comparison to normal folk. If the "street thug" was unaware of his opponent's training, I'd like to know what he was thinking when he first had a roundhouse whiz above his head.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 04-07-2012 at 10:28 PM.

Rofl so summary ive been reading here is if you train mma as a self defense tool, and you use whats given to you in a streetfight and start kicking your a woman because your not fighting the way your dad and uncle fought? while i believe you should just avoid the fight especially if your a trained fighter, i believe the only ghey stuff would be to kick the balls, pull hair and eye rake

NBA rookie of the year Styles p's Avatar

i use legs i kick and stomp, if you don't want to get kicked, punched, choked or stomped don't pick a fight with me its pretty simple. i've been in plenty of fight to know that no fight is a fair fight.

This shit is just super lame.

I abhor fighting, its just something that I dont do unless its a last resort and I'm not even fully trained, you know? I've been doing Krav Maga for a bit and I've always been a good fighter but seriously? I wish I knew the back story behind this, but I am sure that fighting wasn't necessary at all. Plus who video tapes a fight where a supposed "street thug" gets his ass whooped and taunted?? The title just seems racially driven.

Quote Originally Posted by Styles p
    i use legs i kick and stomp, if you don't want to get kicked, punched, choked or stomped don't pick a fight with me its pretty simple. i've been in plenty of fight to know that no fight is a fair fight.
    I feel you, but why do all of that when you could just drop the dude? He could have ended this early but he chose to showboat with roundhouses and shit.

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey
    i remember i was once watching discovery channel(i believe--regardless, it was a major network airing the show) and it showed marines training in hand to hand combat. the marines drill instructor leading the hand to hand combat commented that they train marines to defend themselves in life and death situations meaning it is different than mma. he said something along the lines of "get me in the octagon with rampage jackson(? or some other famous mma fighter) and he'll beat me, but outside the octagon, i'll kill him"

something along those lines. anyone with more knowledge in fighting, is this true? what is the difference between fighting styles?
    Part of the thinking is that MMA fighters train and fight with rules, so if it's a life and death situation, then they think they might hesitate or won't go for a vital spot so quickly, and partly because many people who join the military think they're Rambo and think they can take on a small army all by themselves. Maybe some would hesitate, but others won't. Some MMA fighters are also in the military like Tim Kennedy, who's a Green Beret. I'd like to see Mr. Marine fight him inside a cage or outside of one. IIRC, military training is more about either using their weapons or using hand-to-hand combat so that they can get back to their weapon to be more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Who kicks and knees in a straight up fight?
    People who know how to actually use them.

I think stomping a person out is a lame tactic. You let them get up and knuckle up again. Trying to stomp and pummel them?
    If you're defending yourself from some asshole, then why would you give that person every opportunity to kick your ass? That's just dumb.

Lame, corny. That person gets up, you put them back on that ass. Fight is over/broken up.
    That's the stupid street mentality adopted by people who don't know how to fight. Let's put everyone on equal grounds because they might get their ass kicked if someone else uses something that they don't know how to.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Kicking?

Throw your hands. If you cant throw hands, then bow out. Now if this guy was being jumped, robbed? Understood. Who kicks and knees in a straight up fight?

NOW, I agree no one knows the story behind this. So maybe the black dude provoked the fight after he knew or was told that he trained for MMA. But listening to the commentary after the FIRST KICK, the black guys friend was shocked/surprised. So I'm going to assume this was a straight up fight.

Why is this MMA fighter being billed as the good guy, and the black dude a street thug? Not so much thread title but video. They dont offer any background on the fight. Heck probably dont even own the video and got it from somewhere and decided to upload it.

I guess you can say its a fight, anything goes. But kicking, then kneeing? Come on, he knows how to punch because he caught the dude clean and backed him up a bit.

so wait....if you are in a fight your not allowed to use your legs???

most street fights end up on the ground....where hopefully one would know how to use their legs and hips to defend.

"Throwing hands" is one small aspect of fighting...."throwing hands" or "boxing" is actually just a silly agreement like this.....

"Hey I'm tough!!!...I'm gonna Fight you!!.....but were only allowed to use our hands ok?.....and hey why were at it...lets put huge pillows on our hands to make it soft!!......lets FIGHT!!"

hopefully in a fight or life and death situation you would know how to use your whole body not just hands....

as the video clearly shows..

hopefully in a fight or life and death situation you would know how to use your whole body not just hands....

as the video clearly shows..
    Wasnt nearly a death situation. In fact it was broken up after the dude got a couple knees to the grill. What are you babbling about? And the other kid knew how to throw his hands. He even could take SHOTS. What is the remake of Karate Kid part II for? D!ckhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackass18
    People who know how to actually use them.

If you're defending yourself from some asshole, then why would you give that person every opportunity to kick your ass? That's just dumb.

That's the stupid street mentality adopted by people who don't know how to fight. Let's put everyone on equal grounds because they might get their ass kicked if someone else uses something that they don't know how to.
    What are you talkin about? Obviously my replies are directed towards 2 people who agreed to fight. Atleast follow the convo.

2 idiots decided to throw hands in the field. It was already set up. Even video taped. How are any of your scenerios relevant? Oh they arent jackass.
    Last edited by GOBB; 04-08-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Meh, the video was removed. Why act like they signed a contract before the fight dictating that only punches would be used? They agreed to fight, but I doubt they sat down and discussed rules and conduct beforehand.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin
    The difference is that Marines are probably trained to use weapons and the place they're surrounded by in their favor. Let's say a BJJ fighter isn't. Watch some Bas Rutten demos on street fighting and you'll get the idea.

However I highly doubt an unarmed Marine could beat up a BJJ black belt for example.

Most marines are trained in very basic hand to hand combat...but have great training in Firing weapons and firing off rounds in standing and prone positions...so yeah..a Marine with a weapon would have a great chance to Kill anything...pretty much a no brainer..

many Marines have the oppurtunity to advance their training in hand to hand combat (witch uses BJJ and Kickboxing)

I would agree that a Marine without proper ground training vs a BJJ Blackbelt would get submitted....but one would think a Marine with Training would mop the floor with a BJJ Blk belt...especially if they have equal BJJ training..

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    I'd like to see him fight someone who can actually...fight. The n!gga has zero hands and does not move his head.

not really about the hands though...even if he boxed his whole Life, if someone trained take downs and submission , he could just take him down and choke him..

only knowing how to box is not going to help you against someone who can take you down and control you..

where can we see the video now

Quote Originally Posted by Jackass18
    Meh, the video was removed. Why act like they signed a contract before the fight dictating that only punches would be used? They agreed to fight, but I doubt they sat down and discussed rules and conduct beforehand.
    Nah there were no rules or conduct. But they were in a field recording their soon to be fight. No one was jumping in it. The round house kicks, the leg kicks were just lame. The one kid clearly has a solid chin (he ate 3-4 shots to the face) and he also showed he could throw back punches (caught the kid clean and backed him up). So whats with the stupid thigh, calf kicks. Corny.

And after the one kid gave up? Fight was over, everyone went home. Dispite the stupid kicking, I applaud both for throwing down then going home. No extra nonsense like anyone getting jumped, someone wanted to use a weapon. They rumbled and bounced. Just didnt see the point of the kicking.