Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Could A. Davis be a bust?

He's not gonna be a bust, but I think people are expecting him to do great things. They are like, "He'll be an all star his first year then a superstar his second." It's like woah now. Is this really an all-nba talent? To me, not even close. Maybe all D first.

He's going to be a good starter; he'll get paid for his second contract, but him being a franchise savior is laughable to me.

-Smak

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

I don't like Davis as #1 overall.

My NBA team-building/draft philosophy is "never draft a one-way prospect with the top pick." I feel like with that pick you HAVE to grab a guy that is NOT a mismatch on the defensive end when facing elite players and can be a part of your offensive philosophy from day one.

I do not have a issue with Davis being ranked as the top prospect. Davis has shown flashes of offensive potential, and will be a factor as a help defender immediately.

Still because of my philosophy and how high the rest of the league is on him I'd trade out of the top slot if I was New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
    If Greg Oden can be a bust, anyone can. There is not a single thing known as guaranteed future superstar in NBA, draftees have to play hard and stay healthy.

This. The entire draft is a calculated crap shoot.

Default Re: Will Anthony Davis be a bust?

No

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    He's not gonna be a bust, but I think people are expecting him to do great things. They are like, "He'll be an all star his first year then a superstar his second." It's like woah now. Is this really an all-nba talent? To me, not even close. Maybe all D first.

He's going to be a good starter; he'll get paid for his second contract, but him being a franchise savior is laughable to me.

-Smak
    still laughable you dumb son of a bitch?

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King
    I don't like Davis as #1 overall.

My NBA team-building/draft philosophy is "never draft a one-way prospect with the top pick." I feel like with that pick you HAVE to grab a guy that is NOT a mismatch on the defensive end when facing elite players and can be a part of your offensive philosophy from day one.

I do not have a issue with Davis being ranked as the top prospect. Davis has shown flashes of offensive potential, and will be a factor as a help defender immediately.

Still because of my philosophy and how high the rest of the league is on him I'd trade out of the top slot if I was New Orleans.
    I know none of you care but I feel like sharing.....

I now scout on a freelance basis. Will be opening a full scouting service in 2017. This post is what made me change my approach to scouting.

I made this post after having watched a handful of Kentucky games. Most while in bars, some while listening to music. So I never realized that Davis had only been 6'9" for a little over a year.

Despite having basketball contacts in Chicago I never contacted any of them, so I wasn't aware that he was viewed as a probable All-City candidate when he was a 6'3" shooting guard.

I made my evaluation without even attempting to get all the info available on the prospect.

If any of you is interested in becoming a pro scout I will tell you now that it is not solely about the basketball evaluations. You need to go get every single piece of info that is out there.

Yeah, I would imagine that half the reasons scouts get paid is their network. Cultivating resources and collecting unmeasurable data is a huge advantage in every industry.

But it's a shame that Davis is going to rot in NO. He was compared to KG out of college and his career path looks similar. I bet he plays out the contract in NO and they have a semi-title contending team at the tail end of the contract on his shoulders but he will have to leave to win.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King
    I know none of you care but I feel like sharing.....

I now scout on a freelance basis. Will be opening a full scouting service in 2017. This post is what made me change my approach to scouting.

I made this post after having watched a handful of Kentucky games. Most while in bars, some while listening to music. So I never realized that Davis had only been 6'9" for a little over a year.

Despite having basketball contacts in Chicago I never contacted any of them, so I wasn't aware that he was viewed as a probable All-City candidate when he was a 6'3" shooting guard.

I made my evaluation without even attempting to get all the info available on the prospect.

If any of you is interested in becoming a pro scout I will tell you now that it is not solely about the basketball evaluations. You need to go get every single piece of info that is out there.
    Congrats and best of luck. I say that all the time about evaluations. Sometimes you have to take what you read more importantly than what you see, because for the laymen, that's as close as you're going to get to having real inside info, and then you have to filter that through other stuff, like Calipari is a guy who will blow smoke about his guys to help him recruit further, while other coaches seem to be more honest about their prospects.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    Yeah, I would imagine that half the reasons scouts get paid is their network. Cultivating resources and collecting unmeasurable data is a huge advantage in every industry.

But it's a shame that Davis is going to rot in NO. He was compared to KG out of college and his career path looks similar. I bet he plays out the contract in NO and they have a semi-title contending team at the tail end of the contract on his shoulders but he will have to leave to win.
    His track reminds me a little of Lebron's in Cleveland, when they decided to try to surround him with good but not great pieces to give the illusion of contending, when what they actually did was hamstring themselves from getting the real supporting cast they needed, which includes having a roster with cheap rookie deals that function, which is why I found it odd Lebron was so quick to give up on the Wiggins pick coming back to Cleveland.

And now that he's claimed he's been playing with a labrum that requires surgery, along with the rest of the spate of injuries this team has had, it seems like they'd need to really have a look at their training staff. And to me, that's the type of thing that could get a guy like Davis to walk, because the money is going to be similar everywhere, so the stuff the franchise does beyond that really matters.

This thread is pretty funny.

I like DA KO King, but it's pretty embarrassing to not know any of that stuff if you'd even consider being a scout. I mean, if you had watched a single UK game on ESPN or CBS you would have known all of that, because it was discussed ad nauseum before he even got to campus.