Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    rank sentamentalist

Default Re: Just forced myself to watch Casablanca...

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    Where is that little group of posters arguing with me that art mediums don't progress for the better? lol

they should be all up your ass in this thread about how this would still hold up strong today...movie snobs
    pretty sure i argued that with you. art mediums don't necessarily progress for the better. the best movies today are hardly better than the best movies of the 70s... only argument you could make is that more good (and bad) movies are made, but that's a matter of quantity not quality. and while graphics and special effects edge closer and closer to the real thing, that is not artistic progress, merely technological progress.

but no, casablanca would not hold up at all today, as if that 70 year gap even warrants the comparison, considering 95% of cinematic history has taken place over that span. still, it's not a good fit for what modern public audiences have become accustomed to.

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RaininTwos
    gtjo
    I like Clint, and I enjoy a good western now and again. In fact, I have most of his movies in my library.

I just don't think it belongs at #5 on the top 250.

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    my favorite "old movie" is The Hustler

but I'm not going to pretend like it would be an Oscar winner if it were released today...lol
    If I put my 10 favorite movies from before the 60's up against my 10 favorite movies since the 80's, I know the former 10 would average out to a better score than the latter. You can conclude that that means I think many movies from 50+ years ago would be more deserving of an Oscar today than modern candidates.

It's all a matter of opinion. Sure, we can deduce that most people of our generation prefer modern films, but there is no proof at all out there that can convince me that the best modern films are better than the best films from half a century ago and further.

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    pretty sure i argued that with you. art mediums don't necessarily progress for the better. the best movies today are hardly better than the best movies of the 70s... only argument you could make is that more good (and bad) movies are made, but that's a matter of quantity not quality. and while graphics and special effects edge closer and closer to the real thing, that is not artistic progress, merely technological progress.

but no, casablanca would not hold up at all today, as if that 70 year gap even warrants the comparison, considering 95% of cinematic history has taken place over that span. still, it's not a good fit for what modern public audiences have become accustomed to.
    on average today's movies are MUCH better than the 70s...it's not even close either

if the shitty ass remake of Friday the 13th came out instead of the "classic" black and white original that resembles a home movie then people would declare it to be the greatest thing ever created.

and the art technique that goes alone with that technology progresses...for SURE...along with the amount of people that know the trade...it is a progression in art technique.

anyway...I don't care to get into that again...we can just agree to disagree

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin
    If I put my 10 favorite movies from before the 60's up against my 10 favorite movies since the 80's, I know the former 10 would average out to a better score than the latter. You can conclude that that means I think many movies from 50+ years ago would be more deserving of an Oscar today than modern candidates.

It's all a matter of opinion. Sure, we can deduce that most people of our generation prefer modern films, but there is no proof at all out there that can convince me that the best modern films are better than the best films from half a century ago and further.
    if you put your 10 favs from pre 60 and your 10 favs from today all in a movie theater full of people that aren't familiar...the 10 from today would be the leading sellers...I'm sure of it

unless your 10 favorite modern films are just awful

a movie like Pulp Fiction couldn't even exist pre 1960...art taboos have progressed as well...it's just better, period

and it will continue to get better...regardless of how many crappy remakes Hollywood pumps out

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Speaking of overrated movies, Bram Stoker's Dracula was not just overrated, but one of the worst movies I've ever seen period.

How that movie got any praise, let alone award nominations and awards baffles the shit outta me.

It's even bad for a B-movie which I believe this movie was trying to be.

Only one performance worth noting, and even then it wasn't anything spectacular. What a piece of shit that was.

My favorite pre-1960 movie off the top of my head would probably be Bicycle Thieves (1948).

In general I prefer more modern movies though, mostly due to quality/technology advances.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Speaking of overrated movies, Bram Stoker's Dracula was not just overrated, but one of the worst movies I've ever seen period.

How that movie got any praise, let alone award nominations and awards baffles the shit outta me.

It's even bad for a B-movie which I believe this movie was trying to be.

Only one performance worth noting, and even then it wasn't anything spectacular. What a piece of shit that was.
    Disagree. I loved that movie. The Cinematography was amazing for it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
    My favorite pre-1960 movie off the top of my head would probably be Bicycle Thieves (1948).

In general I prefer more modern movies though, mostly due to quality/technology advances.
    Better than Vertigo?....not so sure about that. lol

Disagree. I loved that movie. The Cinematography was amazing for it's time.
    It was shot in the 90s!!!!

The acting was horrible!

Was I the only one laughing at the cheesy dialogue and horrendous accents? those English accents were a travesty.

The effects appeared to be some 1960s acid trip kind. At first I thought I was watching a parody, but it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin
    Better than Vertigo?....not so sure about that. lol
    I said my favorite, not best. Best is a matter of opinion anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Hmm, lol. Maybe I remember it being better than it actually was. Guilty pleasure from my childhood I guess.

I said my favorite, not best. Best is a matter of opinion anyways.
    Sorry, not trying to argue. I meant favorite as well. Have you seen both?