Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7141516171819 LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Default Re: Rose just ether Bayless

Stephen A Smith... I used to like him when he was on Fox Sports Radio. Damn somebody cut off his mic

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Well, Jalen was just not accurate when he called out Skip though...right?

I heard Skip say that he says things like that when he feels its about on court play. Does bosh not deserve a nick name like that? LOL...its actually perfect and perfectly sums up his weak ass play.

Skip isn't just a journalist anymore. He's an entertainer. The show first take is a debate show and isn't really the standard media platform.

Like I said, I didn't see the whole thing. But I did see SAS roast Rose on a lot of his points.
    Actually Jalen was accurate. And Skip just basically explained more of the story behind it and tried to save face by saying there was more of a story behind it.

Whether Bosh deserves or not isn't really the issue. Its that even if he does deserve it, its offensive. And the bigger observation here is that even if its okay for him to say that despite how offensive it is, Skip of all people should not get offended by something like what Jalen brought up considering all the times he's crossed the line on certain people.

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Is this up on espn.com or on youtube yet?

3-time NBA All-Star

That is the point. Former athletes are just no better than the average journalist in predicting outcomes or understanding sports. In reality, its the sports writers closest to teams that have the best feel for them.

Like Marc Stein in Dallas. He knows far more about the Mavs than any former athlete like Legler or Rose or Mullin on ESPN.

Playing a sport professionally does not make you special in this regard. You always hear the...."you wouldn't know because you didn't play"....that is fine, but anyone with two eyes can see some of this stuff and comment on it.
    Marc Stein is a reporter that regularly covers the Mavs locker room. Of course he's going to have more insight then someone like Legler or Rose who aren't around those guys every day. But him and Skip/Stephen A. are completely different. Stein is a reporter that mainly reports facts and general opinions here and there. Skip and Stephen A. go off with their opinions and are downright insulting to players. Not saying they are wrong for that, but they're not prone to rebuttals.

I'd say they are probably better at understanding sports, but not any better or worse at predicting outcomes. But thats mainly because unless its clearly obvious, its usually a thin line between outcomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Realist
    Stephen A Smith... I used to like him when he was on Fox Sports Radio. Damn somebody cut off his mic
    His mic is cut off.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    Is this up on espn.com or on youtube yet?
    http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7800877

Haven't listened, so I don't know if they took anything out.

3-time NBA All-Star

I just listened to the podcast but it cut off at the end in the middle of Skip and Stephen A.'s closing argument. No offense, but I don't think it justified the hype. Both sides made good points. Wouldn't really say anyone won the argument. If anyone, it was Jalen just cause he got Skip so damn emotional. Skip came across as someone looking for sympathy i.e. "I grew up in a tough neighborhood" and "I've had near death experiences". And then he tried to warm up to Chris Carter that he had his favorite times debating with him on the show. Lost alot of respect for him listening to him on this. I though dude was a lot tougher then that. Definitely came across as a bully thats now emotional cause someone finally punched him in the face.
    Last edited by guy; 04-11-2012 at 04:12 PM.

Decent college freshman

jalen rose had good points. he's just not eloquent at expressing them or summarizing his most effective points. jay crawford was actually helping him by making the point of skip's hypocrisy for him.

i mean it wasn't that fair for skip, a career master of rhetoric, to go against an ex professional athlete

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TonyD
    http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7800877

Haven't listened, so I don't know if they took anything out.

Appreciate the link

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by heyhey
    jalen rose had good points. he's just not eloquent at expressing them or summarizing his most effective points. jay crawford was actually helping him by making the point of skip's hypocrisy for him.

i mean it wasn't that fair for skip, a career master of rhetoric, to go against an ex professional athlete
    The main reason he couldn't express his points as eloquently was cause of Skip and Stephen A. talking over him.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    Marc Stein is a reporter that regularly covers the Mavs locker room. Of course he's going to have more insight then someone like Legler or Rose who aren't around those guys every day. But him and Skip/Stephen A. are completely different. Stein is a reporter that mainly reports facts and general opinions here and there. Skip and Stephen A. go off with their opinions and are downright insulting to players. Not saying they are wrong for that, but they're not prone to rebuttals.

I'd say they are probably better at understanding sports, but not any better or worse at predicting outcomes. But thats mainly because unless its clearly obvious, its usually a thin line between outcomes.
    That is my point. SAS and Skip are not journalists at this point...they are entertainers. They simply give their opinions....

The line would be if they start reporting something that is false...or making crap up. Which they might do...I don't listen to them much because I don't like them and I rarely agree with them.

But its entertainment. Skip isn't doing anything other than being himself on TV. He's a total jackass and an attention whore. But I don't think Skip crosses a line at all. He can do and say whatever he wants within reason.

I don't like Rose much simply because he wants to be neutral too often. And what he doesn't understand is that Skip and SAS are paid to exactly do the opposite. Never neutral.

It makes for entertaining television. Its both funny and crazy at times to hear guys like Skip and SAS just rip athletes. Especially the ones that aren't used to it.

Meh....until I hear Skip or SAS blatantly make something up about a player or person...I don't see anything wrong with it.

3-time NBA All-Star

That is my point. SAS and Skip are not journalists at this point...they are entertainers. They simply give their opinions....

The line would be if they start reporting something that is false...or making crap up. Which they might do...I don't listen to them much because I don't like them and I rarely agree with them.

But its entertainment. Skip isn't doing anything other than being himself on TV. He's a total jackass and an attention whore. But I don't think Skip crosses a line at all. He can do and say whatever he wants within reason.

I don't like Rose much simply because he wants to be neutral too often. And what he doesn't understand is that Skip and SAS are paid to exactly do the opposite. Never neutral.

It makes for entertaining television. Its both funny and crazy at times to hear guys like Skip and SAS just rip athletes. Especially the ones that aren't used to it.

Meh....until I hear Skip or SAS blatantly make something up about a player or person...I don't see anything wrong with it.
    Well it doesn't really affect me or you, but I think Jalen's point was the overuse of the name-calling and the questioning of their intentions is offensive to the players especially because they have their families and friends watching this as well. His main thing was just taking up for the athletes and also showing that its completely hypocritical of Skip to get offended by something like what Jalen brought up the day before. Skip constantly gets personal and crosses the line with players with the name calling and questioning of their intentions, so why is it an issue when someone does it to him? I think that was his point.

I don't think Jalen is neutral. He just doesn't get emotional about his opinions so they don't seem as strong and as a result they are forgettable.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

I'm not going through the whole thread, anyone GIF Bayless looking all butthurt and just broken? I don't really like Rose much, but that was wonderful.

Serious playground baller

You mean like when he wrote that Troy Aikman was gay in his book on the Dallas Cowboys? Or when he wrote the Emmitt Smith faked separating his shoulder in the game against the Giants in the 1990's?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by caliman
    You mean like when he wrote that Troy Aikman was gay in his book on the Dallas Cowboys? Or when he wrote the Emmitt Smith faked separating his shoulder in the game against the Giants in the 1990's?
    Hell, Bosh went on record to say that the Bosh Spice thing he didn't like at all, and felt disrespected from it.