Default Next jersey number to be retired

I am sure GP's # will be retired whenever seattle gets a new team.

Do you think they will retire Ray Allen's 34 ?

Banned

Default Re: Next jersey number to be retired

Gary Payton is a definite. It would be stupid not to put Payton's jersey in the rafters.

I can see Allen's jersey being retired, but that is iffy.

The shortest tenured Sonics player that got retired to the rafters was Spencer Haywood. I think Lenny Wilkins might be shorter, but the head coach gig certainly made him a worthy candidate.

Ray Allen played for the Sonics 4.5 seasons vs Haywood's 6 seasons. According to wiki, Haywood was first All-NBA team and second All-NBA team with 1 playoff berth. Had 20/10 seasons and broke season averages.

In Ray's 4.5 seasons, there was 1 playoff berth, and Ray wasn't in the first NBA team, but he was in the 2nd All-NBA team. Made 3-pt shooting records.

Comparatively, I think Ray should get in. All-stars relatively equal incorporating Ray's shorter time with Haywood's. He broke the all-time record in most 3s in a season, and the minimum he did was at least put Sonics in the WSCF, pratically by himself. Although he hasn't been there as long as some others, his impact should be considered.

Yep. I agree. Ray's stint seemed short but his impact was tremendous in its own right.

How about Shawn Kemp?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 9512
    Yep. I agree. Ray's stint seemed short but his impact was tremendous in its own right.

How about Shawn Kemp?
    He played many years as a SuperSonic. I'm sure Kemp makes it. He owns two franchise records according to wiki (offensive rebounds and blocked shots), but that's not as important as having multiple playoff stints and reaching the finals. That final appearance is only the 3rd time in Sonics history and they made franchise history with 66 wins. It's terrible luck that they faced the best NBA record in history with 72-10 Bulls. It would have been a definite championship without them.

Gary Payton and Kemp also provided countless entertainment to the fans as one of the best, although somewhat short, duos ever to play the game. And just by accolades, Kemp was a 5-time All-star under the Sonics and reached All-NBA second team 3 times. If that does not warrant a jersey to the rafters, consider my alliance to the Sonics tainted.

Played much more years than Spencer Haywood and that Mariners (Supersonic Legends celebration) acknowledged Kemp as a legend.

IMHO the next number that should be retired is Dennis Johnson or some kind of honor for a underrated player in our history. After him, Gary Payton without a doubt. But DJ first then GP. I am not sold on Ray Allen. Yes he made great strides as a Sonic. But to have his number retired before a Shawn Kemp, Dale Ellis, John Johnson, Slick Watts, or a Lonnie Shelton would be a slap in the face.
    Last edited by JellyBean; 04-24-2012 at 07:10 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JellyBean
    IMHO the next number that should be retired is Dennis Johnson or some kind of honor for a underrated player in our history. After him, Gary Payton without a doubt. But DJ first then GP. I am not sold on Ray Allen. Yes he made great strides as a Sonic. But to have his number retired before a Shawn Kemp, Dale Ellis, John Johnson, Slick Watts, or a Lonnie Shelton would be a slap in the face.
    Ray should definitely be the last great Sonic to have his jersey in the rafter. No doubt about that. Unfair for older Sonic players to keep waiting for the acknowledgement of their achievements.

Good point about DJ. He should definitely be first. He has been far too underrated in his career (didn't enter HOF until after he died ). Should honor him first once Sonics come back. He was FMVP that helped won us the 1979 championship. Gus Williams jersey is there if I recall, so why should DJ get left out?

I think Dennis Johnson's number was already in the rafters of Key Arena. At least I think so. But I could be wrong and probably am.

Ray Allen should be honored after the greats like Lonnie Shelton or Slick Watts.

Banned

By the way, I appreciate you guys for starting up Sonics conversations. Makes me feel better inside getting to talk about the team and going back on good old memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Killbot
    By the way, I appreciate you guys for starting up Sonics conversations. Makes me feel better inside getting to talk about the team and going back on good old memories.
    And thanks to you for replying...I lived in the Seattle area from 91 through 2010 and miss not only the Sonics but also some of the physical beauty...like I-5's traffic jam.. i plan to come back in the future when Seattle gets a team back...

Saw a basketball once gegnaspNava's Avatar

Banned

Default Re:

[QUOTE=gegnaspNava]