Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213
    Great college starter

Default Re: 80's MVP's vs 00's MVP's

The team with Shaq/Duncan.

I honestly don't see a team with so many unselfish players... especially Duncan and Garnett, struggling to play team basketball. We've seen Bryant play excellent team basketball when surrounded by other superstars. If the 08 Olympic tournament is any indication (where he played with inferior talent to what he would have on this MVP team) he'd have no problem passing the ball, playing within the offense, and capitalizing on his opportunities.

The notion that Bryant and LeBron would dribble on the perimeter for 16 seconds before passing or taking an off balance shot with that level of talent on the team, or that Duncan, Garnett and Shaq would suddenly turn into selfish, isolation players is poor and laughable rationale. Even funnier is that 80s Jordan was considered one of the most selfish players in the league in that era before he had a team that could win. No one, me included, believes that he would struggle to transition into a more team oriented game. Seems to be a double standard.

That 00s team would have great ball rotation and off ball movement given the skill and IQ of their players. Whether or not they can play team basketball or play it well isn't even a discussion. It's a non-starter.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFly
    I honestly don't see a team with so many unselfish players... especially Duncan and Garnett, struggling to play team basketball. We've seen Bryant play excellent team basketball when surrounded by other superstars. If the 08 Olympic tournament is any indication (where he played with inferior talent to what he would have on this MVP team) he'd have no problem passing the ball, playing within the offense, and capitalizing on his opportunities.

The notion that Bryant and LeBron would dribble on the perimeter for 16 seconds before passing or taking an off balance shot with that level of talent on the team, or that Duncan, Garnett and Shaq would suddenly turn into selfish, isolation players is poor and laughable rationale. Even funnier is that 80s Jordan was considered one of the most selfish players in the league in that era before he had a team that could win. No one, me included, believes that he would struggle to transition into a more team oriented game. Seems to be a double standard.

That 00s team would have great ball rotation and off ball movement given the skill and IQ of their players. Whether or not they can play team basketball or play it well isn't even a discussion. It's a non-starter.
    So why did they struggle at moments vs international teams which played 80s style of ball?

To lesser players at that.

Again... I'm basing my theory on what I've seen time and time again. Today's style of play is much more perimeter iso oriented, and while Bron is a willing and good passer he takes too long to make decisions at times. Kobe will pass if he's in the mood. Not denying that Duncan and KG aren't unselfish, but they don't handle the ball do they?

As I've mentioned before.... start Nash at the point, make Bron your SG, move KG to the 3, Duncan at the 4 and Shaq at the 5 and we have a ball game.