Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Default Boxing thread: Is Pacquiao/Mayweather really not going to happen?

After the Cotto fight yesterday mayweather said:

He (Mayweather) did, however, insist that boxing's dream bout between himself and Manny Pacquiao was doomed to go down in history as perhaps the sport's greatest "what if."
    "The Pacquiao fight is not going to happen," said Mayweather, who cited the Filipino superstar's financial demands, disputes over the style of random drug testing and clashes with Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum as the reasons for the impasse. "I don't have a boss. I called him direct. I offered him $40 million straight. I told him I would wire him $20 million within 48 hours. But it is not going to happen. There is too much standing in the way. He keeps changing it."
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/boxing-...7uV26tYPo5nYcB

From what I've heard so far (and it's been years) Mayweather doesn't want to do a 50-50 split, even though it's entirely within the realm of reason that both fighters would generate near equal fanbases as both are extremely popular fighters. I would say Pacquiao even more so given his international/universal appeal and also just the fact Pac-man brings something different to a sport normally dominated by african-americans and latinos.

There's also the doping allegations, in which mayweather is currently being sued by the pacquiao camp for libel/slander. I've never really seen this card pulled by any other big-name/supposed hall of fame fighter. I don't even see how this is an issue. Pac-man said he had no problems being tested the day before, of, or after the fight. It's a little weird that Mayweather specifically asked for an IV drug test when Pac-man has already publicly said that sticking a little in his arm wasn't kosher (ie: it makes him uncomfortable) yet regardless of that fact still would take a needle test all the way up to the fight. This, to me, is obviously just nit-picking/cherry picking at details just for the sake of argument.

And his third response.. that he has too much conflict with Bob Arum.. I mean seriously get over it. This would literally be the fight of the century. The only other fight that I can even imagine with as much money on the table was Holyfield/Tyson, and they were dying to fight each other.

So yea, conclusion: Pretty boy Mayweather scared of getting cut up in the ring with Pacquiao

National High School Star Abd El-Krim's Avatar

Default Re: Boxing thread: Is Pacquiao/Mayweather really not going to happen?

It will definitely happen, but only after both fighters are well past their primes and unable to make a ppv event without the other. At that point they'll probably fight 3 times, each will suck.

Get over Bob Arum? How can you simply get over the person who is handling all negotiations for the other side and has shown an unwillingness to deal with people outside of his promotion?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
    Get over Bob Arum? How can you simply get over the person who is handling all negotiations for the other side and has shown an unwillingness to deal with people outside of his promotion?
    It just seems like he's making excuses.. first the unwillingness to take a 50-50 split, saying he'll pay 40million "out of his own pocket", yet the fight alone will generate upwards of 150million dollars not to mention the insane ad contracts they will be able to garner with a super-fight such as this. It just makes no sense because for someone who's name is Money Mayweather he is leaving a massive amount of cash on the table just to duck someone he's scared of. I just don't see how such a supposed great competitor would not want to fight someone that many people think is better than him and that he's frightened of.

NBA lottery pick

40 million straight... that is good enough. That would be the most Pac has made in his entire lifetime.

I'm a huge pbf fan but the 40 mil straight isn't enough as crazy as that sounds. Floyd is clearly a bigger draw but the draw for that fight would be about both of them and PAC would be insane to take any deal without part of the backend. If I was negotiating I'd go for a 52/48 split for mayweather but short of it being something like 100 mil, no straight guarantee is enough to turn down a percentage of what could easily be a 3 mil ppv sales pot

Quote Originally Posted by raiderfan19
    I'm a huge pbf fan but the 40 mil straight isn't enough as crazy as that sounds. Floyd is clearly a bigger draw but the draw for that fight would be about both of them and PAC would be insane to take any deal without part of the backend. If I was negotiating I'd go for a 52/48 split for mayweather but short of it being something like 100 mil, no straight guarantee is enough to turn down a percentage of what could easily be a 3 mil ppv sales pot
    52/48 is damn near 50/50. I think 55/45 would be more like it.

When Floyd retires boxing will slowly die out. Michael Buffer retiring will end it for good.

In all seriousness though, this seems to be the last big super-fight that can potentially happen for quite some time. What other great draws are up-and-coming in boxing that could create this type of hype, or anywhere near it, in the near future? It's almost past the point where I even want to watch them fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Jack
    When Floyd retires boxing will slowly die out. Michael Buffer retiring will end it for good.

In all seriousness though, this seems to be the last big super-fight that can potentially happen for quite some time. What other great draws are up-and-coming in boxing that could create this type of hype, or anywhere near it, in the near future? It's almost past the point where I even want to watch them fight.
    Maybe just maybe,both fighters know what they have to do. You said boxing is dieing. What would have happened is they fought in 2008? What next ... If Floyd lost, who would want to see him fight JMM, or Sugar or Cotto. If Manny lost, who want to see him fight JMM again, Mosley, Margarito, freaking Joshua Clotty, haha?

The longer they hold off, the more they can squeeze some other fights in until they wipe the welterweight division clean. Not sure if any will fight Sergio Martinez.

Next on both list is Bradley (Manny already) and I can see him taking on the winner of Ortiz/Berto next month.

Mayweather might go for the winner of Peterson/Khan II later this month.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Maybe just maybe,both fighters know what they have to do. You said boxing is dieing. What would have happened is they fought in 2008? What next ... If Floyd lost, who would want to see him fight JMM, or Sugar or Cotto. If Manny lost, who want to see him fight JMM again, Mosley, Margarito, freaking Joshua Clotty, haha?

The longer they hold off, the more they can squeeze some other fights in until they wipe the welterweight division clean. Not sure if any will fight Sergio Martinez.

Next on both list is Bradley (Manny already) and I can see him taking on the winner of Ortiz/Berto next month.

Mayweather might go for the winner of Peterson/Khan II later this month.
    If they fought in 2008, things would be a lot different. The point, or my opinion on this rather, stays the same though. I think these two are the last BIG draws we will see for quite some time. I've been a big boxing fan since I was younger and will continue to watch it for the rest of my life but I don't see anyone for the foreseeable future bringing in huge draws like these two can.

How many fights is the average fan REALLY looking forward to? How many names that could draw potentially huge numbers are really left? I don't know if it's MMA or what, but it seems as though the popularity of boxing is slowly declining; at least here in America.

Here we go again. People said the same thing when Tyson and De La Hoya retired. Guess what, boxing is still here. And it will continue to be here long after Manny and Floyd.

Boxing will slowly die???

I know some older folks who claimed that boxing was supposed to die out when Muhammad Ali retired...

When George Foreman retired...

When Mike Tyson retired...

Now who else needs to retire for it to officially die?

the writing was on the wall from when the second contract negotiations fell apart. When everyone was like "a deal is almost reached" then one guy wants something else, the other guy counters with another crazy demand, and on and on. and it falls on everyone involved, not one guy or one camp, both are messing it up

we won't see this fight in the present form of these fighters

both guys spend way too much money way to fast. once they both hit 40 and are flat broke, we might see a shell of a fight.

don't hold your breath on a Floyd-Manny fight anytime soon

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar
    Boxing will slowly die???

I know some older folks who claimed that boxing was supposed to die out when Muhammad Ali retired...

When George Foreman retired...

When Mike Tyson retired...

Now who else needs to retire for it to officially die?
    You're forgetting there wasn't another combat sport, at the height of its popularity, going on at the same time.