Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: Ending the Kobe is clutch myth

So that must be why 98% of players, sports analysts, experts would STILL take him in the clutch.

LOL!

Michael Jordan of ISH

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    The bold has to actually be good though. Especially the regular season game winners with less than 5 seconds left. That is way above league average....
    Hardly. It's not much better than LeBron, who is shooting 24% in such situations.

Carmelo is someone who is truly clutch, albeit nowhere near as good the other 47 minutes

He is 29-61 in the final 5 seconds, or 47.5%

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 28renyoy
    Hardly. It's not much better than LeBron, who is shooting 24% in such situations.

Carmelo is someone who is truly clutch, albeit nowhere near as good the other 47 minutes

He is 29-61 in the final 5 seconds, or 47.5%
    Why wouldn't you just use the accepted game winning metric of 24 seconds or less...shots to tie or take the lead?

5 seconds or less seems too narrow. I would want more data and there is obviously a reason why the 24 seconds or less is the accepted criteria.

Or do both....

Lebronyte Kryptonite

Quote Originally Posted by talkingconch
    So that must be why 98% of players, sports analysts, experts would STILL take him in the clutch.

LOL!

Of course, OP ignores that, since it pretty much kills his so called "argument." Big surprise

Michael Jordan of ISH

Quote Originally Posted by talkingconch

LOL!
    Your point? Popularity=effectiveness? I guess you also think the person elected president is the absolute best person for the position in the country, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by LakersReign
    Of course, OP ignores that, since it pretty much kills his so called "argument." Big surprise
    That doesn't "kill" anything...that is just perception.

The facts are what the facts are.

We just now need to compare Kobe's numbers to other players. My guess is that Kobe will compare well.

I'd love to see how Wade, Dirk, Lebron, Pierce, Paul, and Carmelo compare on the same stats.

Why wouldn't you just use the accepted game winning metric of 24 seconds or less...shots to tie or take the lead?

5 seconds or less seems too narrow. I would want more data and there is obviously a reason why the 24 seconds or less is the accepted criteria.

Or do both....

because it makes kobe look bad...

5 seconds is barely enough time to get off a good shot so 30% is actually really good. Melo's percentage is just crazy good.

he is acting like this last second shots should be made with the same consistency as a normal shot. when in reality there are the hardest shots in the game.

Michael Jordan of ISH

Or do both....
    Final 24 seconds, within +2 or -3 points aka chance to ice, tie, or take the lead

59-188 31.3%

Again, 2009-10 he was 8-16 leading to the myth

Lebronyte Kryptonite

Your point? Popularity=effectiveness? I guess you also think the person elected president is the absolute best person for the position in the country, correct?

That is the single most ret**ded response to that I've EVER heard. Yeah moron, so NBA coaches/players/analysts, don't know what they're talking about, but you do....right?

GTFOH!!!!

Local High School Star SunsCaptain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LBJMVP
    because it makes kobe look bad...

5 seconds is barely enough time to get off a good shot so 30% is actually really good. Melo's percentage is just crazy good.

he is acting like this last second shots should be made with the same consistency as a normal shot. when in reality there are the hardest shots in the game.
    So what if i gave you the stats of entire 4th quarters over the course of playoffs for multiple years....Like I did and he still shoots 17-30%

Finals 24 seconds, within +2 or -3 points aka chance to ice, tie, or take the lead

59-188 31.3%

Again, 2009-10 he was 8-16 leading to the myth
    I'm not arguing for Kobe. I've repeatedly said he's overrated in the clutch. I'd just rather use the better criteria or both. I already knew it would be around 31% because ESPN did that study last year.

Can you post Dirk and Carmelo please. I'm interested to see how they compare on the 24 seconds or less criteria.

Thanks in advance.

Michael Jordan of ISH

That is the single most ret**ded response to that I've EVER heard. Yeah moron, so NBA coaches/players/analysts, don't know what they're talking about, but you do....right?

GTFOH!!!!
    You're arguing against facts with opinions. Congratulations

GTFOH!!!!
    You are an idiot. Perception is just that....perception.

Facts are just that....facts.

If perception and the facts don't go together.....then the perception is flawed. There is no doubt that Kobe is vastly overrated in the clutch. Everything proves that.

That doesn't mean he sucks. Just that he's not nearly as good as his rep. Do people really still try to pretend otherwise? Every bit of information that has come out has destroyed that notion.

Quote Originally Posted by SunsCaptain
    So what if i gave you the stats of entire 4th quarters over the course of playoffs for multiple years....Like I did and he still shoots 17-30%

because those stats don't mean kobe isn't clutch....

he shot awful in the 4th against new orleans in a game this year so what does he do, hit the game winner.

you can't just use numbers when in comes to clutch. you have to watch the games. anyone who watches the games should know that kobe is clutch

and anyone who has watched lebron should know that he was clutch when he was in cleveland and then when he went to miami he has been unclutch most of the time, especially in the biggest stage.

Lebronyte Kryptonite

You're arguing against facts with opinions. Congratulations
    Please

Haters like you say the same tired crap over and over and over and over. Yet people who know the game way better than you fools ALWAYS disagree....why is that? Oh yeah...that's right, it's cuz of popularity.

So...we're right back to haters like you supposedly knowing more than people in the NBA. Hate to be the one to tell you this. But REAL NBA fans would listen to the facts and opinions of players/coaches/GM's/analysts, over those of some nobody on the internet. So, just keep telling yourself that.