Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 LastLast
    Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Just thought I'd point out that Muslims believe Jesus to be the second most important prophet after Muhammad.
    In theory that is, right? Because Muslims of the Middle East do not like the Western civilization too much, and as they find correlation between Jesus and the Western civilazation, hundreds of millions of them hate Jesus as well.

As far as I can tell at least.

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale
    In theory that is, right? Because Muslims of the Middle East do not like the Western civilization too much, and as they find correlation between Jesus and the Western civilazation, hundreds of millions of them hate Jesus as well.

As far as I can tell at least.
    Any proper Muslim, when referring to any of the prophets of the God of Abraham, will follow it by saying "peace be upon him." Or when referring to the wives of prophets, "may Allah be pleased with her."

3:45 Lo! The angels said: "O Mary! Behold, God sends thee the glad tiding, through a word from Him, [of a son] who shall become known as the Christ [32] jesus, son of Mary, of great honour in this world and in the life to come, and [shall be] of those who are drawn near unto God.

3:54 And the unbelievers schemed [against Jesus]; [44] but God brought their scheming to nought: for God is above all schemers.

3:84 Say: "We believe in God, and in that which has been bestowed from on high upon us, and that which has been bestowed upon Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac and Jacob and their descendants, and that which has been vouchsafed by their Sustainer unto Moses and Jesus and all the [other] prophets: we make no distinction between any of them. [68] And unto Him do we surrender ourselves."

(Just a few verses from the Qur'an that represent Jesus in a positive or important light.)

Muslims might not view the prophets the same way as Christians or Jews do.. but if they truly do believe in their religion, then they would not disrespect the prophets themselves.
    Last edited by reppy; 01-19-2007 at 02:02 AM.

LAKER FAN FOR LIFE lovethetriangle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rasheed1
    it was a dumb analogy not a simple concept... there is a difference

maybe because HE BROUGHT JESUS INTO A SPORTS CONVERSATION AND COMPARED HIM TO KOBE!

Dislike for a basketball player is not remotely comparable to hate for a religious figure

how f*ckin stupid do you have to be to not see where the two dont coincide with each other?

And it only takes a brain the size of a napkin to understand that dislike for a basketball player is not comparable to hate of a religion figure for which people are willing to kill and die and go to war

Kobe Bryant is a f*ckin basketball player...We are discussing why we like/dislike a baskeball player..not a religious figure... you kids need to get your heads outta your asses and get your minds right...

maybe his analogy would have made sense if he had kept it logical...like say, comparing Kobe to another sports figure...

But jesus? C'mon... thats just dumb... there is a whole culture built around jesus christ and there have already been wars fought over christ and people could have number of reasons to hate christ and christians, its not as simple as you simpletons wanna make it out to be..

Are you not aware of the word microcosm??

Quote Originally Posted by lovethetriangle
    Are you not aware of the word microcosm??
    Yes. The other day, I saw a really attractive girl and had a microcosm in my pants. It was just a few drips, hence a microcosm.

That was really lame.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFly
    I used to hate the dude, passionately. I used to be a Magic fan and an even bigger Penny fan. I'm talking about basketball card collecting... mint condition Nick Anderson, Magic Fan. The Celtics of course weren't really doing anything; Rick Fox, Dino Raja, Dana Barrows... Shaq got traded, killed the Magic, and it was instant hate for the Lakers, and everyone who played on those teams... and then Bryant got all the unncessary hype coming out of high school, and Penny was forgotten, so that compounded matters. Along the way, I grew up and realized that I had dumb, juvenile reasons for hating Shaq, Bryant and the rest of the Lakers, so I've been pretty gracious with the franchise thoughout their championship years and up to now.

I just think it's part of being a real basketball fan. The Bulls and Magic were my favorite teams growing up, but I know plenty of people who absolutely hated the Bulls and Jordan. Each and every one of them regrets it now because they never allowed themselves to enjoy what Jordan and the Bulls were doing. I never wanted that to be me That's why you'll never really hear much hate out of me... unless it's about Rick Fox... I really hate that traitor...

But yeah, I try to keep favorable opinions of most players when possible.

With these two paragraphs alone you have my utmost respect as a poster and basketball fan. Cheers man.

reppy,

you are talking about theory and purists (orthodox people in the original sense ot the word). I'm talking about everyday practice.

I know plenty of people living in our culture who hate the Islam - because they hate terrorists. Thus, when they hear the name of Allah, they hate just as well. They don't realize Allah or even 'real' faith in him has nothing to do with 9/11.

The same goes the other way round. In practice, not in theory.

reppy,

you are talking about theory and purists (orthodox people in the original sense ot the word). I'm talking about everyday practice.

I know plenty of people living in our culture who hate the Islam - because they hate terrorists. Thus, when they hear the name of Allah, they hate just as well. They don't realize Allah or even 'real' faith in him has nothing to do with 9/11.

The same goes the other way round. In practice, not in theory.
    OK well.. personally I've never talked to a Muslim that had anything bad to say about Jesus, so..

but I know plenty of people who absolutely hated the Bulls and Jordan. Each and every one of them regrets it now because they never allowed themselves to enjoy what Jordan and the Bulls were doing.
    Chalk me up. I know what you're talking about. I admired Jordan but I hated him . and at first I didn't know why. Later on I realized that I hated him because the Bulls beat the Lakers in the 1991 Finals, which turned out to be Magic Johnson's last full year, and magic was (and still is) absolute #1 on my list.

And later on I learned to appreciate Jordan and started to collect and download lots of Bulls games to make up for the ones I missed 'live'.

Chalk me up. I know what you're talking about. I admired Jordan but I hated him . and at first I didn't know why. Later on I realized that I hated him because the Bulls beat the Lakers in the 1991 Finals, which turned out to be Magic Johnson's last full year, and magic was (and still is) absolute #1 on my list.

And later on I learned to appreciate Jordan and started to collect and download lots of Bulls games to make up for the ones I missed 'live'.

Exactly my 90s. I can't believe I cheered for the Sonics vs. the Bulls and looked for everything wrong with Jordan but never could find it. Now I'm stuck with NBA's greatest games.

Quote Originally Posted by lovethetriangle
    Exactly my 90s. I can't believe I cheered for the Sonics vs. the Bulls and looked for everything wrong with Jordan but never could find it. Now I'm stuck with NBA's greatest games.
    Man, I cheered EVERYONE against the Bulls. Portland. Phoenix. Seattle. I even cheered friggin' UTAH against Jordan, with the Karl Malone I absolutely hated.... because I wanted Jordan to lose that much.

Silly me.

Man, I cheered EVERYONE against the Bulls. Portland. Phoenix. Seattle. I even cheered friggin' UTAH against Jordan, with the Karl Malone I absolutely hated.... because I wanted Jordan to lose that much.

Silly me.

We live we learn man. Better late than never. MJ was God and I wish I had realized it earlier!

I cheered everyone against Jordan, too. But I'm also a Blazers fan. So it's not like I just hated him because he was good. I hated him because he beat my team.

And he always seemed to get the lucky breaks. Or the right call. Or whatever. Pissed me off.

Quote Originally Posted by reppy
    I cheered everyone against Jordan, too. But I'm also a Blazers fan. So it's not like I just hated him because he was good. I hated him because he beat my team.

And he always seemed to get the lucky breaks. Or the right call. Or whatever. Pissed me off.
    I started to hate him for the exact same reason. He won his 1st championship by beating my team and negating my idol's chances to win (his last) championship.

And I tried to criticize everything Jordan-related. His shot selection. His selfishness. His agendas. His marriage. His alienating his teammates. I was every bit like your average Kobe hater is today. I was 17-18-19 years old at the time.

I started to hate him for the exact same reason. He won his 1st championship by beating my team and negating my idol's chances to win (his last) championship.

And I tried to criticize everything Jordan-related. His shot selection. His selfishness. His agendas. His marriage. His alienating his teammates. I was every bit like your average Kobe hater is today. I was 17-18-19 years old at the time.

Is this setting up a brilliant new thread topic? All objective fans now were once irrational jordan haters but learned from their mistakes in order to further their appreciation for the game.

Saw a basketball once

Default hate is such a strong word

I hate watching basketball with dirty players, badly reffed players and players who take too much advantage of the crappy nba rules. That's why I just largely ignored the 90's nba basketball of the bulls and jazz. Only complete bulls series I watched was vs the blazers and the rest I only watched 1 game per finals series just to check out the refs. 80's basketball is still the best the nba has offered.

There were a few bright spots in the 90's such as Hakeem, Drob's defense, Mutombo's defense, kj, penny and the emergence of the twin towers. Nowadays, I don't watch teams like the spurs and heat because of both dirty and badly reffed players just like the bulls and jazz.

So now you guys have met a guy who never cared about the 90's bulls and their bandwagon fans like knoe, aap, loki, jpr etc. (they're all the same to me). They're people who are always busy watching the same recorded basketball games over and over, but have never bothered to pick up a basketball and actually play on the playground. I'm glad because they always turn out to be retarded, loudmouth, tongue sticking fools who have no ballhandling, passing or shooting skills. I don't hate the bulls, I just wouldn't be entertained by that type of basketball. I do hate their groupie fans because they just won't shut up and allow today's fans to enjoy their generation of basketball.