Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Re: Kobe Bryant 42pts in Elimination Game Against OKC

Quote Originally Posted by BallsOut
    The only ones that claim Kobe made Gasol are delusional. Gasol was a beast in his ownright, much like Dirk, in Memphis dragging his subpar squads to the playoffs every year in the Western Conference. I don't have to tell you, but since Gasol joined the Lakers, there was a very long stretch of time (probably 2+ seasons) they had never lost 3 straight games. The Lakers overall winning percentage just skyrocketed and he played a huge part in the Lakers 3 finals appearances.

Kobe deserves a little blame for his two subpar late game performances, but Gasol does deserve some blame for tonight and for most of the series for not playing to his ability.
    Oh I agree. I'm addressing the people that claimed Kobe turned Gasol into the player he was. Of course I know this to be insane as I watched Gasol roughly his entire time in Memphis....living there for 3 years.

But they simply can't have it both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Oh I agree. I'm addressing the people that claimed Kobe turned Gasol into the player he was. Of course I know this to be insane as I watched Gasol roughly his entire time in Memphis....living there for 3 years.

gasol was kobes 2nd fiddle for 3 finals in a row and 2 chips, just let it go...

Banned

how bad would pau be playing in hous? Does he get motivated for game 7 when its not kobe pushing him?

I think kobe makes him better.. but obviously not a lot.

If you want to credit Kobe with "making Gasol" like all you morons do. Then how do you not blame Kobe when Gasol doesn't play well?

He either impacts how Gasol plays or he doesn't. You can't pick and choose when he does.
    Well for one...no one said that kobe made Gasol. That is a strawman you created.

Two, people said that Kobe got Gasol to play with more passion and hunger for a period of time. It had nothing to do with skill or talent but with approach to the game. But, that can't last for ever, you can only push so many buttons. So, if you wanna blame Kobe for not pushing the right buttons that is on you. I find that idiotic... disingenuous and self serving in your case.

National High School Star Nevaeh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oh the horror
    I dont know why some of you bother explaining it to these fu*king idiots here.

Kobe could have had 20, and 10 assists, in a losing effort, and they would have complained that he didnt score enough.

There isnt anything Kobe can do, with the exception of a 33 year old frame, beating an entire team by himself without these fools here dissecting why Kobe "sucks"

ZERO assists dude!!! In a MUST WIN GAME!! This ain't 2006 in the regular season, with scrub teammates against a sh!tty team!!

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    Well for one...no one said that kobe made Gasol. That is a strawman you created.

Two, people said that Kobe got Gasol to play with more passion and hunger for a period of time. It had nothing to do with skill or talent but with approach to the game. But, that can't last for ever, you can only push so many buttons. So, if you wanna blame Kobe for not pushing the right buttons that is on you. I find that idiotic... disingenuous and self serving in your case.
    Total and utter BS. I had to listen to that non sense about how Gasol hadn't won a playoff game in his career and how he just wasn't that good until Kobe got him.

No need to revise history. We all know plenty of Lakers/Kobe fans were spewing that BS all the time.

And I don't blame Kobe for Gasol's play. I blame him clearly being out of position and struggling to find his groove ever since Bynum became the low post option.

But again, I never credited Kobe with "making Gasol" like so many Kobe fans have.

This is good for Kobe fans and Kobe himself. He's learning how hard it is to win. You need a lot of help. Kobe and his fans have taken it for granted. Now Kobe finds himself playing on very good teams, but not great teams. And they aren't winning. Now 1-8 in the 2nd round these last two years.
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 05-22-2012 at 02:22 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nevaeh
    ZERO assists dude!!! In a MUST WIN GAME!! This ain't 2006 in the regular season, with scrub teammates against a sh!tty team!!
    He'd only have needed 12 assists on top of everything already for the lakers to have had a chance to steal it at the end!

Total and utter BS. I had to listen to that non sense about how Gasol hadn't won a playoff game in his career and how he just wasn't that good until Kobe got him.

No need to revise history. We all know plenty of Lakers/Kobe fans were spewing that BS all the time.

And I don't blame Kobe for Gasol's play. I blame him clearly being out of position and struggling to find his groove ever since Bynum became the low post option.

But again, I never credited Kobe with "making Gasol" like so many Kobe fans have.

This is good for Kobe fans and Kobe himself. He's learning how hard it is to win. You need a lot of help. Kobe and his fans have taken it for granted. Now Kobe finds himself playing on very good teams, but not great teams. And they aren't winning. Now 1-8 in the 2nd round these last two years.
    Much of that has to do with Kobe though. He damn near single-handedly cost the Lakers games 2 and 4 in crunch-time. And like someone else said, came out tonight with 0 assists. Prior to tonight, this series could have been 3-1 in LA's favor (and IMHO should have been). 42 points. Great. Fantastic scoring game - but it had zero impact on the outcome.

These people nose diving to Kobe's aid, are the same assholes that criticized Lebron in 2009 (hell, even your boy Dirk in elimination games)...after he did EVERYTHING in his power to beat Orlando. Clear double standard.

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    Much of that has to do with Kobe though. He damn near single-handedly cost the Lakers games 2 and 4 in crunch-time. And like someone else said, came out tonight with 0 assists. Prior to tonight, this series could have been 3-1 in LA's favor (and IMHO should have been). 42 points. Great. Fantastic scoring game - but it had zero impact on the outcome.

These people nose diving to Kobe's aid, are the same assholes that criticized Lebron in 2009...after he did EVERYTHING in his power to beat Orlando. Clear double standard.
    I still can't believe ANYONE gives LeBron shit for 2009. Probably the best he ever played.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    I still can't believe ANYONE gives LeBron shit for 2009. Probably the best he ever played.
    Yep. I can understand the criticism in 2010 - that game 5 was bizarre - but in 2009? The guy played his ass off, his supporting cast shot sub 30%~, Mike Brown was the coach, and yet these naysayers find a way to fault him. Same thing happened with Dirk the last few years before he and Dallas won their first title. Guy has been money in elimination games - but is labeled soft because of that nightmarish 2007 series. Winning titles/championships truly takes a team effort (and is incredibly fragile--kudos to DMAVS; quoting him here).
    Last edited by kuniva_dAMiGhTy; 05-22-2012 at 02:41 AM.

Yep. I can understand 2010 - that game 5 was bizarre - but in 2009? The guy played his ass off, his supporting cast shot sub 30%~, Mike Brown was the coach, and yet these naysayers find a way to fault. Same thing happened with Dirk the last few years. Guy has been money in elimination games, but is labeled soft because of that nightmarish 2007 series. Winning titles truly takes a team effort (and incredibly fragile--kudos to DMAVS; just quoting him).

Banned

These people nose diving to Kobe's aid, are the same assholes that criticized Lebron in 2009 (hell, even your boy Dirk in elimination games)...after he did EVERYTHING in his power to beat Orlando. Clear double standard.
    Scoring points doesn't have any impact on the outcome?

I agree with this.

I am just saying I think it is clear that Gasol not playing in the same spots he used to is the biggest factor in his declined production.

I have repeatedly also said that playing with the biggest ball hog by far in the game doesn't help either.

So I totally agree with what you are saying and that double standard is very clear.

Yes, if Lebron's stats in game 6 in 2010 were empty against the Celtics...then this sure as hell was an empty stat game. Just can't have it both ways.

Like I said. These last two years are great for Kobe stans because they are finally seeing how fans of other players/teams feel. When you see Lebron go nuts in 09 and still lose. When Dirk plays better than he ever has imo in 09 and loses in 5 in the 2nd round...etc.

In the past, Kobe fans would just dismiss how a player plays and call them a "loser"....Not now though. They are seeing just how hard it is to win and how much help even the best players need. They never really learned that I guess.

Really, would it have pleased anybody if the Lakers don't win ?

Kobe's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't, what ever his stat line was going to be.

No, I wasn't that impressed with his game (though he played well), but it would have been more impressive if he could have willed his team to victory.

To me, it also looked like this Lakers team was dis-engaged, when Westbrook made that crazy shot.

You need a team to win and after that shot it seemed they folded.

Kobe got his... but he could have done more, I feel.

As for the assists thing... Well, I still don't know if it would have been enough to change the outcome.

Yes, if Lebron's stats in game 6 in 2010 were empty against the Celtics...then this sure as hell was an empty stat game. Just can't have it both ways.
    Bad comparison