Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Default Re: Has Kevin Durant already surpassed Scottie Pippen?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    I watched him play throughout the 90s. He's not a better player than Durant.

KD has 3 scoring titles already and is 23 years old. Pippen scored 20+ only 3 times in his entire career.

Durant is a #1 option. Pippen is a #2.
    LOL, Pippen isnt considered an all-time great because of his scoring. Thats the point. Why ignore his all-around contributions?

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

What part of NumberSix's

post did you not understand?
    I'm just showing you your stupidity when you say Durant is already better than Pippen was or has surpassed him. Durant gives you 6-7 more ppg sure.. but he's significantly worse as a passer/playmaker, defender and rebounder.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    I'm just showing you your stupidity when you say Durant is already better than Pippen was or has surpassed him. Durant gives you 6-7 more ppg sure.. but he's significantly worse as a passer/playmaker, defender and rebounder.
    Do you know what is harder than making all defensive team?

Winning a scoring title.

Those 6 or 7 points per game is what separates the elite from the mere star.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

Pippen was a far more rounded player than KD. I supposed Durant has the potential to be better, but at this juncture he's not even close.

Banned

I posted that statline due to all around stats. He had multiple seasons in between 20-22 ppg. Reality is this guy is better man. I don't think you're remembering or even know how good Pippen's defense and rebounding was for his size. Dude also was the elite playmaking point forward like Lebron.
    I was referring to how you said Pippen could score 25 ppg easily if he was the #1 option and I was telling you how Pippen was the #1 option in the stats you posted and he only scored 22 ppg. Pippen is not even close to the type of scorer Durant is at all. Pippen is not even close to Durant as a shooter either in any aspect (long range, mid-range, FT line, etc.).

Scoring is the most important attribute/aspect in the game. You act as if rebounding, playmaking, defense, etc. is worth the same and it's not. You win games by outscoring the other team and Durant is by far superior than Pippen at scoring and it's not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    I was referring to how you said Pippen could score 25 ppg easily if he was the #1 option and I was telling you how Pippen was the #1 option in the stats you posted and he only scored 22 ppg. Pippen is not even close to the type of scorer Durant is at all. Pippen is not even close to Durant as a shooter either in any aspect (long range, mid-range, FT line, etc.).

Scoring is the most important attribute/aspect in the game. You act as if rebounding, playmaking, defense, etc. is worth the same and it's not. You win games by outscoring the other team and Durant is by far superior than Pippen at scoring and it's not even close.
    dead wrong. Scoring is NOT the most important aspect in basketball. I believe rebounding, scoring, passing and defense all carry the same exact value. Kevin Durant would be lucky to average 15 points a game in a series against Pippen. If you don't see the value in that I'm not sure what to say.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Pippen is not a 20ppg scorer for his career. He is a 16ppg scorer.

Durant is a 26ppg scorer for his career. Do you know how many players score more than 26 ppg for their career? You can count them on less than 2 hands, and Pippen isn't better than any one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
    Pippen was a far more rounded player than KD. I supposed Durant has the potential to be better, but at this juncture he's not even close.
    Exactly. Not even a logical discussion. Bad enough people are saying it's close but the 3 or 4 people picking Durant .

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12

So then why is Anthony Davis the far and away number one prospect in this year's draft?

I think Scottie is still ranked ahead of Durant, and he is the more versatile and complete player. But if you asked me today who I would want if I was starting a franchise, give me Durant. Durant is a true franchise player. I know I know, people will talk about Pip and the Bulls when MJ went down and how he played great. This is true, but Durant is a player who can truly lead and take a team on his back in crunch time.

Pippen is not a 20ppg scorer for his career. He is a 16ppg scorer.

Durant is a 26ppg scorer for his career. Do you know how many players score more than 26 ppg for their career? You can count them on less than 2 hands, and Pippen is better than any one of them.
    Who said that? Scottie in his peak years let's say from 91-98... averaged about 20 ppg. Nobody said he's a career 20 ppg scorer, just that he's had multiple 20+ ppg seasons. If the guy put up 15 ppg in his prime you can knock it. To put up an average of 20 ppg over 8 seasons though as a SECOND OPTION to go with ELITE defense, ELITE playmaking, ELITE rebounding for his position? Pippen>>>>>>>Durant.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
    I think Scottie is still ranked ahead of Durant, and he is the more versatile and complete player. But if you asked me today who I would want if I was starting a franchise, give me Durant. Durant is a true franchise player. I know I know, people will talk about Pip and the Bulls when MJ went down and how he played great. This is true, but Durant is a player who can truly lead and take a team on his back in crunch time.
    Exactly. Durant definitely CAN be better and he's more suitable to build around going forward probably. That being said the BETTER PLAYER is no question Pippen.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP

So then why is Anthony Davis the far and away number one prospect in this year's draft?
    I'm assuming because there is no Kevin Durant-lite scorer in this year's draft and I don't think Anthony Davis is incapable of scoring either.

dead wrong. Scoring is NOT the most important aspect in basketball. I believe rebounding, scoring, passing and defense all carry the same exact value. Kevin Durant would be lucky to average 15 points a game in a series against Pippen. If you don't see the value in that I'm not sure what to say.
    There is a reason why star power is almost a necessity in order to win a championship in today's league. It is because star players can score at any given moment especially in the closing seconds and in the playoffs when the game slows down.

It's easier to find another defensive standout than a scorer machine.

Exactly. Durant definitely CAN be better and he's more suitable to build around going forward probably. That being said the BETTER PLAYER is no question Pippen.
    Well, in Pip's prime, I still go with Durant starting a team. Not just for the potential of the future, but because he is a true franchise player now.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
    Well, in Pip's prime, I still go with Durant starting a team. Not just for the potential of the future, but because he is a true franchise player now.
    Durant is a go to scorer and clutch player so that's understandable. Doesn't mean he's a better player though which is what OP is suggesting.