Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NBA Superstar

Default What vietnamese food is similar to General Tso's chicken?

i keep seeing these Pho48, etc.'s all over the place, and i'm thinking about trying it but don't want to get something that i don't like. only thing i can gauge my tastes to thats pretty universal in terms of azn foods is chinese. i like the standard General Tso's, Orange chicken, Morengo Delight, Kung Pao type of dishes. what at Pho would be comparable to those, and how is it different? also they sell something like shrimp fried rice? just real hesitant to try vietnamese...

NBA rookie of the year Styles p's Avatar

Default Re: What vietnamese food is similar to General Tso's chicken?

general tso's dog?

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Vietnamese food is delish dude. Much lighter and healthier than Chinese for the most part. After Thai it's my favorite food. Pho is a very good soup with a light broth. Unlike Chinese food... Vietnamese won't put you on the toilet all day or make you feel like shit.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Styles p
    general tso's dog?

i said chicken, negga. if i wanted dog i'd kidnap one off the street and cook it myself altho i don't know how to make general tso's sauce...

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    Vietnamese food is delish dude. Much lighter and healthier than Chinese for the most part. After Thai it's my favorite food. Pho is a very good soup with a light broth. Unlike Chinese food... Vietnamese won't put you on the toilet all day or make you feel like shit.

thx for reply. what would you reccommend me order judging by my chinese food tastes? obviously i like meat, preferably crispy. can you give any names of dishes you think i'd like? not really trying to get a soup tho, but would like to get some sort of shrimp fried rice side with the meat dish if they have something like that too.

Vietnamese coffee is better than all the other coffees.

actually, stay your ass away from a Vietnamese restuarant.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzuki
    thx for reply. what would you reccommend me order judging by my chinese food tastes? obviously i like meat, preferably crispy. can you give any names of dishes you think i'd like? not really trying to get a soup tho, but would like to get some sort of shrimp fried rice side with the meat dish if they have something like that too.
    if you dont want to try the staple of Vietnamese cuisine, which is pho...then stay your dumbass away. go order shrimp fried rice at a chinese spot.

try ordering some vietnamese spring rolls (goi cuon), or combination plate (Com Tam) of rice, grilled pork, shredded pork, veggies, fish sauce and usually have some sort of shrimp or prawn on the side.

or try some banh cuon (noodle dish with fish sauce with your choice of meat) or banh mi (vietnamese submarine sandwich)

or banh xeo (it looks like a taco but you eat it with fish sauce in a bowl with chopsticks)

ill agree vietnamese food is a lot lighter and healthier than the chinese food places. its a lot less greasier in general.
    Last edited by DuMa; 06-01-2012 at 03:25 PM.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
    if you dont want to try the staple of Vietnamese cuisine, which is pho...then stay your dumbass away. go order shrimp fried rice at a chinese spot.

lol why are you always so bitter and angry?

Banned

Get some pho, it's one of the most commonly eaten Vietnamese foods here in the States and no one doesn't like it. It's a noodle dish in a beef broth with meat.

It is honestly quite tasty, is fairly light, and even tastes better than Chinese food.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    try ordering some vietnamese spring rolls (goi cuon), or combination plate (Com Tam) of rice, grilled pork, shredded pork, veggies, fish sauce and usually have some sort of shrimp or prawn on the side.

or try some banh cuon (noodle dish with fish sauce with your choice of meat) or banh mi (vietnamese submarine sandwich)

or banh xeo (it looks like a taco but you eat it with fish sauce in a bowl with chopsticks)

ill agree vietnamese food is a lot lighter and healthier than the chinese food places. its a lot less greasier in general.

cool, i appreciate the breakdown and names. that com tam sounds good, just scared of anything that says fish sauce, not the biggest fish fan...

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop_Cat
    Get some pho, it's one of the most commonly eaten Vietnamese foods here in the States and no one doesn't like it. It's a noodle dish in a beef broth with meat.

It is honestly quite tasty, is fairly light, and even tastes better than Chinese food.

hmmm alright i guess i'll try it then if its a staple vietnamese food that everyone likes. i keep seeing these Pho's get really good food ratings all over the place so i've guess it must be good. thx for input.

Banned

hmmm alright i guess i'll try it then if its a staple vietnamese food that everyone likes. i keep seeing these Pho's get really good food ratings all over the place so i've guess it must be good. thx for input.
    Yeah, it's pretty much a very safe choice to get. I don't know what ethnicity/background you're from so it's hard to judge but I'd say Pho works for everyone's palette.

Not airballing my layups anymore LOGoods7's Avatar

cool, i appreciate the breakdown and names. that com tam sounds good, just scared of anything that says fish sauce, not the biggest fish fan...
    Almost anything Vietnamese will at least have some fish sauce in it but they won't always use enough to make the dish taste fishy.

Try bo luc lac, it's basically stir fried steak cubes