Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Moving to the US in less than 2 months! Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    Then I guess your mother lives there.
    Then youll do well in texas. because like you, they also say rendundant yo mama jokes and think its funny... FAKKIT!

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Houston's averages are 26 degrees warmer than Sweden's.
    I think you missed the joke. Also Milwad is probably used to degrees Celsius.

as for what you should do, during your time in Houston, you should save up some money and visit Austin, TX and New Orleans, LA both of which are drivable from Houston and more fun.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    I think you missed the joke. Also Milwad is probably used to degrees Celsius.

as for what you should do, during your time in Houston, you should save up some money and visit Austin, TX and New Orleans, LA both of which are drivable from Houston and more fun.
    Yeah, haha.

I've been in Houston before, I plan to go there again to watch some Rockets-games, I'm a huge fan..

LA is also a must, will be a cool experience.

I guess the food and gas is way cheapers than Sweden, but I also need a place to stay, does anyone know how much a room at or close to the campus costs?

Remember to tip whenever you eat out at places where you are served. It is very rude to not do so. I hate it but it's U.S. Culture.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by stallionaire
    Remember to tip whenever you eat out at places where you are served. It is very rude to not do so. I hate it but it's U.S. Culture.
    That's a great one, haha, thanks..

I guess it's going to be easy to forget, we don't have a tip culture like that in Sweden or anywhere in Europe I've been to.

By the way, I don't eat meat.. Haven't had any meat for like 5 years, stopped eating meat when I started to work out for real along with playing basketball and it fit me better, less junkfood and stuff and more energy..

I know that the US is the mecca of junkfood but do you have any veggie-food alt. at restaurants or at them markets? I guess that I can start eating meat again since I'm not going to play basketball on a decent or any level at all now, but eating vegetarian food fits me better to be honest even though it sounds geeky.
    Last edited by millwad; 06-05-2012 at 07:39 PM.

5-time NBA All-Star

That's a great one, haha, thanks..

I guess it's going to be easy to forget, we don't have a tip culture like that in Sweden or anywhere in Europe I've been to.

By the way, I don't eat meat.. Haven't had any meat for like 5 years, stopped eating meat when I started to work out for real along with playing basketball and it fit me better, less junkfood and stuff and more energy..

I know that the US is the mecca of junkfood but do you have any veggie-food alt. at restaurants or at them markets? I guess that I can start eating meat again since I'm not going to play basketball on a decent or any level at all now, but eating vegetarian food fits me better to be honest even though it sounds geeky.
    Vegan options are abundant everywhere. If you're in TX in a college situated area or near a metropolis, you bet your bottom dollar there's gonna be some alternatives be it soya or vegan or tempeh. And of course, pasta is everywhere. DO you eat fish? Swedish fish?

You can also just purchase stuff at local farmer's markets, get yourself quinoa, and eat whatever you please.. American food prices are the best in the world. As soon as you head over, why not stock your fridge up with hemp protein, berries, asparagus, squash, bell pepers, tomatoes, olive oil, rice, flaxseeds, and all that stuff.

As for preparation
    a) It's not that Americans are ignorant, it's that they are accustomed to acting a certain way.. If you're assertive enough people are open to discuss anything (intellectual included) but of course emphasize casual talk on the basics.. sports, film, dumbass clean jokes people use to try to break the ice, whining and b!tching about how unfair the world is, silly banter, current affairs etc. etc.

b) As a swede you're a bit more valuable and a bit more groomed and exotic than the average American guy. HOWEVER, u r also more effeminate. Find shyer/sweeter girls as they like prettyboys.

c) Gotta find your niche. Do not get a steady GF. Do not get too attached to friends. Let them know you're here only temporarily, they'll treat you more privileged and its the truth. Talk with Hawker. Have something to offer. Be prepared to share lots and lots of stories on the fly.

d) People are flat out friendlier here than anywhere else in the world. You f*ckers can argue me about this, but I've had this discussion literaly a thousand times with dozens of types of foreigners who are well-travelled. However, you have to be willing to be fiercely independent on your off time and dont telegraph weakness or neediness.

e) Careful about the Southern Charm. It will change you.

f) If you stop by a hotel or use your net you can find a million attractions. What's important is you KEEP YOURSELF ACTIVELY FREAKIN ENGAGED with your new home, you do not want culture shock or depression creeping up on you and it comes to you when you ponder around like an emo kid. Just keep on doing something.

Relax and enjoy. Welcome to Red White Blue Greatest country in the world.

- From.. a dude who's never been to Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by creepingdeath
    Gas prices in Europe are more than twice as expensive as in the US.
    I knew this as fact about some countries, but I didn't know it was true about all countries in Europe.

Gas in Southern California is nearing $5/gallon right now, but I guess that's still cheap compared to what you guys are paying there.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

You could stop being such a fu[color=black]cking[/color] fa[color=black]ggot[/color], for one, but that's just general life advice, not necessarily having anything to do with moving to the USA.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
    You could stop being such a fu[color=black]cking[/color] fa[color=black]ggot[/color], for one, but that's just general life advice, not necessarily having anything to do with moving to the USA.
    Why are you so mad, mr random?
    Last edited by millwad; 06-05-2012 at 11:42 PM.

High School Starter

$8.40 per gallon is pretty normal in Sweden, what about the US?
    It's about $3.67 a gallon here in Houston.

Welcome to Texas though. Although A&M might be a huge culture shock (Austin would probably be a better fit), I'm sure you'll get used to it.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Why are you mad, mr random?
    I have no idea who you are, you little ph4ggot, my dick got stuck in your mother's pussaaayyyy, right?
    Not angry. You're just a useless ****.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by soadrules
    It's about $3.67 a gallon here in Houston.

Welcome to Texas though. Although A&M might be a huge culture shock (Austin would probably be a better fit), I'm sure you'll get used to it.
    Thanks!

I've been in Houston before and it was nice and all, the american life style is very different compared to the swedish, obviously, but I had a blast last!

The size of the campus will be a huge difference though, the city I live in now is even considered to be a student-friendly city with alot of students, at least based on the swedish standard. Texas A&M is like a whole other world, but I think I'll enjoy it.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
    Not angry. You're just a useless ****.
    You're obviously angry, and stop taking ISH so serious..

It's the internet for god sake..

Banned

remember to tell people you hate the NFL and NASCAR and that you think gays should get married

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by flipogb
    remember to tell people you hate the NFL and NASCAR and that you think gays should get married
    Mind reading de luxe!