Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Moving to the US in less than 2 months! Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar
    I knew this as fact about some countries, but I didn't know it was true about all countries in Europe.

Gas in Southern California is nearing $5/gallon right now, but I guess that's still cheap compared to what you guys are paying there.
    You forget that the US is an oil producing country and California, in particular, is an oil-producing state.

We produce the 3rd most oil in the world. Unfortunately, we probably are #1 in oil usage.

Russia (#1 in the world) and Norway produce oil, but no other European country produces much.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Houston's averages are 26 degrees warmer than Sweden's.
    Man, you did all that research for my sarcastic joke!

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    Thanks!

I've been in Houston before and it was nice and all, the american life style is very different compared to the swedish, obviously, but I had a blast last!

The size of the campus will be a huge difference though, the city I live in now is even considered to be a student-friendly city with alot of students, at least based on the swedish standard. Texas A&M is like a whole other world, but I think I'll enjoy it.
    What were the differences in lifestyle that you noticed?

I'm not sure what the prices are in Texas (I live in New York), but if you have a couple housemates it won't be too bad. I wouldn't stress it too much. You should just call the school and get in touch with the student service center. They're probably open throughout the summer.

5-time NBA All-Star

Just live on campus and don't try to do everything in a day. Just get your living accomodations straight and map out the vegan places. People in Vegan places talk a lot and will think you different. They will willingly tell you about other spots (usually a kabillion miles away). Eating on campus would put you in favorable social situations so sometimes you should just do it anyway as they will have fruits and veggies in the cafeteria. You're a bit older than the students there and they will seem a bit childish. They will likely greet you and smash a pie in your face and discuss Wilt Chamberlain with you for hours at a time.

Don't get caught up in buying a car right away - somebody in the Vegan place will likely know of one that runs on corn oil and solar energy. Its just better to feel yourself around and THEN make big purchases. Don't do anything in excess as you don't know people there and it can end up anywhere. The way you have come to know people in Sweden is different than the way you will come to know people in Texas. Obviously, money will disappear quicker in unknown places. Keep focused on what you came to the university for. You can never be lonely if you keep your goals in front of you: Similar people will always be around you.

Machismo is something that will take sometime to get used to. If you look too exotic, a guy from the football team might want to test you. Avoid the haters. While you might be smarter than them its not a good idea to rub it in their faces. Read the campus newspaper and internet briefings. After three weeks then go looking for the places to have a good time. Make sure your Ipod is full and take care of business.

How does my Dirk taste creepingdeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar
    I knew this as fact about some countries, but I didn't know it was true about all countries in Europe.

Gas in Southern California is nearing $5/gallon right now, but I guess that's still cheap compared to what you guys are paying there.
    Damn, I would kill for such prices. In Germany, gas is around 1.60

Adbloock<3

Quote Originally Posted by flipogb
    remember to tell people you hate the NFL and NASCAR and that you think gays should get married
    '
    This!

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
    e) Careful about the Southern Charm. It will change you.

Care to elaborate on this J$?

Quote Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
    You could stop being such a fu[color=black]cking[/color] fa[color=black]ggot[/color], for one, but that's just general life advice, not necessarily having anything to do with moving to the USA.

Banned

It's time for my year as an exchange student at Texas A&M and I'm majoring in business and marketing.

I've had so much to do so I haven't really prepared mentally yet, it's not like I'm going to war, haha, or anything but still, it's a big change in many ways.

I've been in Houston before so it's not like I've never been in the US but I have no idea really how the system is over there as a student, only ignorant prejudice thoughts after seeing crappy college-movies..

Any college students here? How much do you spend on monthly basis? Where do you live? How much is an ok price for rent? Is getting a car a must? How many hours a week do you study? [COLOR="White"]Are college girls as CHEAP as in 'em movies?[/COLOR]

Ohhhhhh, so many questions...
    From Sweden to Texas. It's like going from the Jetsons to the Flintstones.

Quote Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
    You could stop being such a fu[color=black]cking[/color] fa[color=black]ggot[/color], for one, but that's just general life advice, not necessarily having anything to do with moving to the USA.

what do you look like ? white, black, asian,arab ?......mexican ?

NBA rookie of the year

Thanks, guys, for all the good advice I've recieved in this thread!
    And also thank you to you guys who called me "ph4ggot"!

I was thinking about this, if I see a fight, should I break it up like most of us do in Sweden or should I yell "OH SHIT! OH SHIT!" before picking up my phone from my pocket and start filming it while yelling "WORLDSTAR! WORLDSTAR"?

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by tomtucker
    what do you look like ? white, black, asian,arab ?......mexican ?
    I'm white and blonde and I'm 6'6-6'7.

Adbloock<3

I'm white and blonde and I'm 6'6-6'7.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by LamarOdom
    Jonas is 6'10.. I don't know him personally but I know his sister pretty well.

I've played against him in the 2nd division in Sweden, he was crazy good. I've been searching for the boxscore but I can't find it. No one back then would ever guess that he'd be an NBA roleplayer, none.