Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Phil Jackson would not coach "clumsy" Knicks

  1. #1
    Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Home of BullyBall!!!!
    Posts
    7,937

    Default Phil Jackson would not coach "clumsy" Knicks

    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...rk-knicks-team

    Phil Jackson says he wouldn't have wanted to coach the New York Knicks -- even if the team asked.

    "I wasn't gonna take that job; that's for sure," he told HBO's "Real Sports" in an interview scheduled to air Tuesday night.

    Jackson -- who won 11 championships as coach of the Bulls and Lakers -- said Knicks owner James Dolan never called him about the job.

    Jackson, 66, was a member of two Knicks championship teams and said he has thought about coaching in New York, but wouldn't want to lead the current team because it's "clumsy."

    "They don't fit together well. (Amare) Stoudemire doesn't fit well with Carmelo (Anthony)," said Jackson, when asked to expand on "clumsy." "Stoudemire's a really good player. But he's gotta play in a certain system and a way.

    "Carmelo has to be a better passer. And the ball can't stop every time it hits his hands. They need to have someone come in that can kinda blend that group together."

    Jackson, who retired after the 2010-11 season, was heavily rumored to be a candidate for the position before the Knicks eventually removed Mike Woodson's interim tag and give him a multiyear contract in late May.

    Jackson said the Knicks and Orlando Magic openings this offseason were not the positions to bring him back to the bench.

    He says he wasn't interested in Orlando because it's too far from his Montana home.

    Mike Mazzeo is a regular contributor for ESPNNewYork.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

  2. #2
    Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Home of BullyBall!!!!
    Posts
    7,937

    Default Re: Phil Jackson would not coach "clumsy" Knicks

    Now we can officially lay this puppy to bed.

    Too much would have had to happen for Phil to come, and fully admits he isn't up for the task.

  3. #3
    Krust Kingz
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Tokyo from Brooklyn
    Posts
    5,881

    Default Re: Phil Jackson would not coach "clumsy" Knicks

    [COLOR="Red"]I have no issues with what he said. I think its a legit concern.[/COLOR]

  4. #4
    "The Residential Pit" franchize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,429

    Default Re: Phil Jackson would not coach "clumsy" Knicks

    Sounds like he's saying "I'm glad you didnt ask because I would have said no anyway" because he was surprised he didnt get a chance to turn everyone down and have ppl beg him. Im have no problems with us not calling him. The fact that he said a team isnt close to his Montana home says it all. He doesnt have it in him. Nothing is near his Montana home. Probably not even Walmart or 7-11, and them bitches are everywhere lol

  5. #5
    Krust Kingz
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Tokyo from Brooklyn
    Posts
    5,881

    Default Re: Phil Jackson would not coach "clumsy" Knicks

    Quote Originally Posted by franchize
    Sounds like he's saying "I'm glad you didnt ask because I would have said no anyway" because he was surprised he didnt get a chance to turn everyone down and have ppl beg him. Im have no problems with us not calling him. The fact that he said a team isnt close to his Montana home says it all. He doesnt have it in him. Nothing is near his Montana home. Probably not even Walmart or 7-11, and them bitches are everywhere lol
    [COLOR="Red"]I heard this all day on sports radio... I do believe he's an attention whore but this is an 11 time NBA championship coach. Do you really think he's that petty or sensitive? That would mean the Knicks position is something that he really did consider and was offended...

    Its possible but I cant fathom a guy that has coached MJ Pippen, Kobe Shaq for 11 championships could be so childish or even think the Knick job is anything significant in the grand scheme of things.

    Did I mention that we are assuming he got emotional over not being asked to coach Melo Stat Chandler at MSG after coaching HALL OF FAMERS Air Jordan, Pippen, Black Mamba, Shaq to 11 NBA CHAMPIONSHIPS!

    [/COLOR]

  6. #6
    "The Residential Pit" franchize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,429

    Default Re: Phil Jackson would not coach "clumsy" Knicks

    Quote Originally Posted by Rameek
    [COLOR="Red"]I heard this all day on sports radio... I do believe he's an attention whore but this is an 11 time NBA championship coach. Do you really think he's that petty or sensitive? That would mean the Knicks position is something that he really did consider and was offended...

    Its possible but I cant fathom a guy that has coached MJ Pippen, Kobe Shaq for 11 championships could be so childish or even think the Knick job is anything significant in the grand scheme of things.

    Did I mention that we are assuming he got emotional over not being asked to coach Melo Stat Chandler at MSG after coaching HALL OF FAMERS Air Jordan, Pippen, Black Mamba, Shaq to 11 NBA CHAMPIONSHIPS!

    [/COLOR]
    Actually, I think its all of those accolades that allow him to be so cocky. Either way, as Knickscity said, Im glad this has been put to bed. Dantoni got Dolans endorsement even in our roughest of times. If Woodys our guy, he should at least get a year without havong to look over his shoulder. Its only fair.

  7. #7
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    24,902

    Default Re: Phil Jackson would not coach "clumsy" Knicks

    Bill Simmons:

    "I know for a fact that Phil Jackson wants to coach again. (How do you know that?) Because I talk to people who know things. I know for a fact that he wanted that Knicks job. I know for a fact that Jim Dolan didn't want any part of Phil Jackson, because Jim Dolan doesn't like people who think they're smarter than him. Jim Dolan has a whole weird inferiority complex. Phil Jackson is way too smart and there was no way he [Dolan] was ever going to deal with that guy, so he hired Mike Woodson"

  8. #8
    The People's Choice Draz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Strong Men Island
    Posts
    20,847

    Default Re: Phil Jackson would not coach "clumsy" Knicks

    "so he hired mike Woodson" lol

  9. #9
    #knickstape bluechox2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    11,883

    Default Re: Phil Jackson would not coach "clumsy" Knicks

    our team is ****ed

  10. #10
    Quality? Jasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Where the Rooster first crowed
    Posts
    5,994

    Default Re: Phil Jackson would not coach "clumsy" Knicks

    Quote Originally Posted by knickscity


    "Carmelo has to be a better passer. And the ball can't stop every time it hits his hands."
    Said the guy who coached Kobe to multiple championships

  11. #11
    College star el gringos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,967

    Default Re: Phil Jackson would not coach "clumsy" Knicks

    Quote Originally Posted by knickscity

    "They don't fit together well. (Amare) Stoudemire doesn't fit well with Carmelo (Anthony)," said Jackson, when asked to expand on "clumsy."

    So Phil suggested to Dolan that they get a big that can shoot and play outside/in. Then Dolan gets bargnani. Then Phil takes a job w Knicks.


    You don't have to believe it until Carmelo, bargnani, and jr have career years after amare and chandler are traded for pieces that fit.

  12. #12
    Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Home of BullyBall!!!!
    Posts
    7,937

    Default Re: Phil Jackson would not coach "clumsy" Knicks

    Quote Originally Posted by el gringos
    So Phil suggested to Dolan that they get a big that can shoot and play outside/in. Then Dolan gets bargnani. Then Phil takes a job w Knicks.


    You don't have to believe it until Carmelo, bargnani, and jr have career years after amare and chandler are traded for pieces that fit.
    Phil actually wasnt in the mix until around december iirc. The Bargnani deal was all Grunwald and he rightfully got fired for it.

    Think about it....Phil wants a 2nd round pick in this draft and hopefully a first.

    Why on earth would he authorize the pick we got from OKC which was a 2014 2nd and the right to swap for Denver to be used in the deal?

    Because he wasnt in the process. bargnani would be the first one traded if there was a taker....dude is the opposite of the triangle.

  13. #13
    College star el gringos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,967

    Default Re: Phil Jackson would not coach "clumsy" Knicks

    Quote Originally Posted by knickscity
    bargnani would be the first one traded if there was a taker....dude is the opposite of the triangle.
    Opposite of the triangle is amare or chandler. Bargnani's skills fit the triangle perfectly. Be patient.



    --------


    I am hoping that Phil's desire to get picks are because he sees a big group of guards and capable bigs into the second round. Hopefully he is always looking to get picks. I hope he has the mindset on the draft that you go get players your team needs and not just take picks when they tell you to.



    You really don't think Dolan and Phil were talking long before he was officially hired?

  14. #14
    Krust Kingz
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Tokyo from Brooklyn
    Posts
    5,881

    Default Re: Phil Jackson would not coach "clumsy" Knicks

    Quote Originally Posted by el gringos
    So Phil suggested to Dolan that they get a big that can shoot and play outside/in. Then Dolan gets bargnani. Then Phil takes a job w Knicks.
    If serious this would have to be the 2nd dumbest things ever.... Followed closely by Al Gore





    Knickscity already dropped the education in regards to the rest

  15. #15
    Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Home of BullyBall!!!!
    Posts
    7,937

    Default Re: Phil Jackson would not coach "clumsy" Knicks

    Quote Originally Posted by el gringos
    Opposite of the triangle is amare or chandler. Bargnani's skills fit the triangle perfectly. Be patient.
    What skills are these? the triangle is a reaction offense, bargnani hasnt even showed competence, let alone ability to read defenses.

    And he isnt a good shooter, nor does he pass, rebound or defend.

    What skills are these again?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •