Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Off The Glass
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default WTF happend in "No Country for Old Men"

Please someone, anyone, explain to me what happend in "No Country for Old Men".

I mean i watched it... i know what happend but the ending left me confused. The ending made me think maybe the movie is crap!

Ive been searching the net and read that tommy lee jones is that killer guy the whole time (like a fight club type thing)... is that right? couldnt be.

NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: WTF happend in "No Country for Old Men"

Quote Originally Posted by Off The Glass
    Please someone, anyone, explain to me what happend in "No Country for Old Men".

I mean i watched it... i know what happend but the ending left me confused. The ending made me think maybe the movie is crap!

Ive been searching the net and read that tommy lee jones is that killer guy the whole time (like a fight club type thing)... is that right? couldnt be.
    Nope.

It is what it is. What you saw is exactly what happened. The movie just ended.

Awesome movie.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Like I said, it's a hour and forty-five minutes of brilliant filmmaking followed by ten minutes of the Coen brothers getting bored making it and deciding to just abruptly end it.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
    Like I said, it's a hour and forty-five minutes of brilliant filmmaking followed by ten minutes of the Coen brothers getting bored making it and deciding to just abruptly end it.
    Wrong. It's based on a novel. The Coen brothers did not "get bored", are you kidding me?

The ending rocked, there was no big relief. There was no lame payoff with Tommy Lee shooting Anton in the head and saying "Welcome to Odessa, mother****er!".

Everyone walked out of the theater quiet because no one is able to relax: Anton is still out there.

Future D1 Dad

i gotta see this.

I hated the ending. Still a good movie, but I felt cheated. What's the point of following the story when there is no ending?? I have a feeling that after the Sopranos thing, there will be a new movement of movies, and shows with no ending because like most things, it's a copycat genre.

Made that high school varsity squad Frank Foley's Avatar

Does Anton kill the wife? I know it's left open-ended, but it seems as if his outlook has changed after their meeting (paying the kid for his shirt, not acting pissed at the dude who T-bones his car, not killing the kids). Her response to the coin flip clearly got through to him on some level.
    Last edited by Frank Foley; 01-02-2008 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gencbiba
    It was based on a book that was released around 2005... They did not copy the Sopranos...

That last part really wasn't a comment on this movie, just something that came to mind when I was posting. I haven't read the book, but I heard about it before I watched the movie. Still think there will be some copycats out there who will try to replicate the Sopranos, and now with this movie having a big following we'll probably see some more no-ending movies/tv going around. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Wrong. It's based on a novel. The Coen brothers did not "get bored", are you kidding me?
    I haven't read the book, but unless it's 300 pages of great stuff with a five page climax and resolve, then the Coen brothers did just decide "yeahhhh, we pumped an hour and a half of fantastic filmmaking into this, let's just wrap this up in about ten minutes or so, get it over with."

The ending rocked, there was no big relief. There was no lame payoff with Tommy Lee shooting Anton in the head and saying "Welcome to Odessa, mother****er!".
    Didn't need to be that at all. The premise of the ending is fine. But the way it was annotated was terrible.

Decent playground baller ElKuKuy's Avatar

A couple weeks ago someone posted a link so we can watch I Am Legend on line.

Does anyone know a link to watch No Country.....???

I am Chris Wilcox

Quote Originally Posted by ElKuKuy
    A couple weeks ago someone posted a link so we can watch I Am Legend on line.

Does anyone know a link to watch No Country.....???
    Go to watch-movies.net, that's where I watched it.

Krust Kingz

I never read the book. To me its 2 stories in one. The last criminal investigation either gave Sheriff Bell an epiphany or helped him realize he was out dated it was time to retire. I didnt have a problem with the ending.

Of course he killed Carla. He didnt kill the boys because they possibly just saw him leave that house where he killed her and then he gets in an accident in broad daylight in a residential area with the same kids as witnesses.

What bothered me was why didnt Carson take the money and go? Why go back to the hotel where Anton was especially when you know he's crazy?

Good Movie

Very good NBA starter ConanRulesNBC's Avatar

I liked the way it ended. Great movie, easily my favorite movie of 2007.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I went to see it a second time and a lot of stuff cleared for me. Knowing the story, and not feeling obliged to follow it, I was able to hone in more on the minutea of the dialogue. Especially since the movie has NO music. It doesn't really give you any pace. So as it was wrapping up, everytime they cut to something, it felt like more was going to happen. Especially the closing speach. Being able to see that, knowing that was it, really helped wrap it up in my head.

Loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by gencbiba
    We assume that he killed her. After all, when he came out, he checked his shoes if they had anything on them (maybe he was checking for blood?). Plus, he's not one to go back on his word. He said that he'd kill her, and he made a long journey to her house... Why wouldn't he?

If you're a killer on the run, the last thing on your mind is killing the guy that hit your car. It was a bad wreck and the other driver seemed to be unconscious and possibly dead too. He also had no beef with the kids...
    Yeah, I think when he checked his shoes, which would have been for blood (we learn this is a pet peeve of his in the movie), that pretty much confirmed he killed his wife.

Great film. The Coen's brothers finest work since "Fargo". Javier Bardem deserves an oscar for his performance. One of the best villains in recent memory.