Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Re: Rockets have reached agreement with Omer Asik on a three-year, $25.1 million contract

Quote Originally Posted by I.Malcolm
    Erm, seriously?

Asik is an elite defender. Rotates quickly, can shut down the lane on drivers, and is alright man on man. He's a huge presence and alters offensive strategies. He has brick for hands and is borderline useless on O, though.
    Eh, I'm sure they could find a D-League big man who can do the same thing.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Default Re: Rockets have reached agreement with Omer Asik on a three-year, $25.1 million contract

Quote Originally Posted by blacknapalm
    he'll have to learn how to cut back on fouls even though he's improved leaps and bounds there. his third year, he gets paid $15 million. yikes - i would not want asik being a big reason why my team went into the luxury tax.

i can understand a bit. that's what these small market teams have to do. houston went after dwight to no avail, then they tried to move up in the draft with both sacramento and portland. this was very much option C or less
    you do realize houston is the 5th? biggest city in the country (with no state income tax and great weather - during the bball season)? It has nothing to do with being a small market team and everything to do with him being an RFA.

Those acting like he could be replaced by a d leaguer obviously only watch espn highlights. he was arguably a top 5 defensive big man last year and is incredibly active. sure, he fouls too much, but he is a very good defensive center in the nba. hell, how many games did he play most of the 4th over noah?

Quote Originally Posted by BallsOut
    Interesting..

Gasol's contract is up in 2 years right when Asik's big deal kicks in. Wonder if Morey is thinking about Gasol now.

How about Lowry, Martin and Royce White to the Lakers for Gasol?
    highway robbery for LA

Quote Originally Posted by Locked_Up_Tonight
    Supposedly it is backloaded.... It would be a 5/5/15 deal.
    That's just brilliant!

Da Mavs

highway robbery for LA
    Actually sounds like a decent deal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    you do realize houston is the 5th? biggest city in the country (with no state income tax and great weather - during the bball season)? It has nothing to do with being a small market team and everything to do with him being an RFA.

Those acting like he could be replaced by a d leaguer obviously only watch espn highlights. he was arguably a top 5 defensive big man last year and is incredibly active. sure, he fouls too much, but he is a very good defensive center in the nba. hell, how many games did he play most of the 4th over noah?
    oh, i like him a lot. he's one of the best defensive centers in the league and he's a tenacious offensive rebounder. i'm just not sure he's worth that contract when he's still so raw on offense, turns the ball over too much compared to how often he gets it and is a terrible FT shooter. we're gonna have to see how he handles a full time gig.

Quote Originally Posted by midatlantic09
    Eh, I'm sure they could find a D-League big man who can do the same thing.
    yep, tons of top tier defensive big men playing in the d-league who could easily be one of the best team defenders in the league. its just that no other team values defense. the celtics and heat could've had all sorts of great defensive 5s out of the D, but decided that they like tufiaf and steismas (btw, a top d league defender who was mediocre in the league) hairdos better.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Rose
    Actually sounds like a decent deal to me.
    as an LA fan, i'd take it all day. martin is an expiring contract. last i heard, houston is just going to keep him though. i guess there isn't much interest out there

Original ISH CLTHornet CLTHornets4eva's Avatar

HOuston included that poison pill in year 3, just so Chicago couldn't pay. The first 2 years are extremely reasonable. But man 12+ mil for Osik even in 1 year is crazy.

oh, i like him a lot. he's one of the best defensive centers in the league and he's a tenacious offensive rebounder. i'm just not sure he's worth that contract when he's still so raw on offense, turns the ball over too much compared to how often he gets it and is a terrible FT shooter. we're gonna have to see how he handles a full time gig.
    yeah, its definitely over value, but thats what happens with an RFA. more importantly, what other center could they get, their biggest need? mcgee is going to command much more and is a knucklehead and poor defender. who else?

NBA rookie of the year

as an LA fan, i'd take it all day. martin is an expiring contract. last i heard, houston is just going to keep him though. i guess there isn't much interest out there
    It doesn't make much sense to keep Martin when they already have 2 good young SG prospects in Jeremy Lamb and Courtney Lee (free agent). Unless they let Lee walk, I don't get why they'd keep all 3 SGs and especially Martin when the 12 mill they shed from his contract could be used on other much needed positions to fill out their roster.

Banned

This deals actually not the crazy if it's back loaded. It will stop Bulls from matching it, still allows them to play him behind Howard or any other big name for at least 2 years, final year he will either have earnt more minutes or will become a 12mil expiring contract that becomes a valuable trade piece.

Quote Originally Posted by BallsOut
    It doesn't make much sense to keep Martin when they already have 2 good young SG prospects in Jeremy Lamb and Courtney Lee (free agent). Unless they let Lee walk, I don't get why they'd keep all 3 SGs and especially Martin when the 12 mill they shed from his contract could be used on other much needed positions to fill out their roster.
    agree it doesn't make much sense. just going off a report i read. houston is transparently trying to make deals but no one is biting. you always need a second party to join or your intentions are futile. blame mchale for putting martin in the doghouse last year and driving his value even lower. he could have at least tried to showcase him a bit. here's what ken berger said:

Rockets have had some talks about Kevin Martin, but are planning to keep him, league source says. Martin has $12.4M expiring contract.
    Last edited by blacknapalm; 07-01-2012 at 09:39 PM.

Rivalries Never Die Faptastrophe's Avatar

Could someone post Hollingers' (Insider) take on this when it's up?