Anthony Davis
    6-9.25"

Andre Drummond
    6-9.75"

Pau Gasol
    7-0"

For more:
    www.draftexpress.com/measurements

So are there people out there that still believe that the 60's/70's was an undersized era and that Russ/Wilt etc wouldn't last today due to their size because "the modern era is full of legit 7 footers"? List heights today appear to greatly inflate modern player heights. And I'm actually starting to believe the opposite was true of past player list heights (note: Russell, Hayes, Unseld all listed equal too or more than 1/2 inch shorter than their actual barefoot height - something that no players in the modern NBA draft have done)
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 06-26-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Default Re: Anthropomorphic Measurement of NBA bigmen 60s/70s vs Modern NBA era

Today's era isn't filled with capable 7 footers. But what it is filled with is insanely athletic players from 6ft to 6-9 or so.

The ISH'ers Champion!

Kwame Brown....

Season high 23pts/13 rebounds against the Heat in 11.

Quote Originally Posted by PickernRoller
    Kwame Brown....

Season high 23pts/13 rebounds against the Heat in 11.
    Kwame Brown - Center
    Height w/o shoes: 6-10"
    Wingspan: 7-1"
    Standing reach w/o shoes: 8-10.5"
    Hand length: extremely small
    Hand width: extremely small
    Career weight range: 243lbs-270lbs

Good High School Starter

One thing that is true is we have those tall Eastern Europeans in the league today.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Gamble
    One thing that is true is we have those tall Eastern Europeans in the league today.
    Sure, it makes up for the now virtually extinct (yet genetically identical) numerous Caucasian American's of the 60's/70's. Such as Swede Halbrook ~7-3 / Phil Jackson ~ 6-8 etc. Seriously, when looking at true anthropomorphic measurements (not B.S. list heights) I see no pattern of players getting taller today vs then.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 06-21-2012 at 05:04 PM.

At their heaviest, Bellamy, Thurmond, Reed, Unseld and probably Hayes must have been heavier than these reported numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    At their heaviest, Bellamy, Thurmond, Reed, Unseld and probably Hayes must have been heavier than these reported numbers.
    Those are the heaviest numbers I could find printed in the newspapers of all of them, they actually seem quite reasonable too me, players today are just heavier than players back than that's the one real difference and I think that's due to the pressure of trainers insisting players play heavier today (which I think kills players health but w/e). Javale McGee was 228lbs, Anthony Davis 222, Kevin Garnett under 220, and David Robinson 226 in their early 20's/rookie seasons. Kareem was a 225lb rookie and only 235 all throughout the 70's (though at one point I think he peaked at 240). In an era where running up and down the floor is favorable 240-260lbs players are huge. Had they played today they'd be heavier sure but unless there's seasons where they got overweight that I don't know about those numbers don't look too off base IMO relative to their competition.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 06-21-2012 at 05:15 PM.

What you don take in considerations here, is that not only are you only taking an handful of C from back then (11 over a span of 30 years) but that you aren't considering that players nowadays are stronger, faster and are way more athletic than back then. On average of course but also at the very top. D12 and Shaq are on a whole another level physic wise than anyone. Bar maybe Wilt "I was born 40 years too soon" Chamberlain.

Not hating or anything on the oldschool era, but I refuse to believe Basketball's level of the contemporany era doesn't outclass the oldschool era. That's the evolution of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Punpun
    What you don take in considerations here, is that not only are you only taking an handful of C from back then (11 over a span of 30 years) but that you aren't considering that players nowadays are stronger, faster and are way more athletic than back then. On average of course but also at the very top. D12 and Shaq are on a whole another level physic wise than anyone. Bar maybe Wilt "I was born 40 years too soon".
    11 random centers... Including Unseld who is well known as the shortest one of that entire era and excluding the tallest ones like Swede Halbrook. And are you absolutely clueless about who these guys are I listed? D12 and Shaq are no greater athletes by any definition of the word than Russell, Wilt, or Gilmore. And Thurmond/Bellamy/Kareem wouldn't take an athletic backseat to anybody Dwight faces

Russell

Thurmond

Bellamy

fastbreak dunk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ee2Ag5GeMQ&t=12m56s
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 06-21-2012 at 05:34 PM.

Damn, Nate was on something back then... or really just ate his greens.

Oh god are you trying to imply those guys are only 11 eanoms center ? Do you really wanna go down that road ?

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    Damn, Nate was on something back then... or really just ate his greens.

I think it's genetics, some people are just naturally ripped, David Robinson was like that. Than you have the antithesis of them like Duncan/Pierce/Melo

Quote Originally Posted by Punpun
    Oh god are you trying to imply those guys are only 11 eanoms center ? Do you really wanna go down that road ?

?

Not sure what road you speak of. Anthropomorphic measurements look very much the same today as they did back then. How can you dispute it? The numbers are right there in front of you, and I conclude the more I find the more it's only going to support that genetically, nothing has changed among athletes then vs now - sry if it kills your modern NBA hero's. Humans haven't evolved in 40 years. The game of basketball has changed in a lot of ways yes, but those athletes back then? Pretty sure those are still the same kinds of people in the same shapes and sizes and varieties as the ones that are playing today.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 06-21-2012 at 05:48 PM.

No way. And for a good reason. Just look at track and field. Athlete now are way better than back then. And the 11 centers you listed were freaks of nature. 11 freaks in 30 years. Most of them would have normal size nowadays. And be less strong, less athletic etc.