Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    I rule the local playground Linspired's Avatar

Default Re: Sofoklis Schortsanitis - 442 Pound Bench Press

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    @ posting pics of 6-0 dudes who have skeletal measurements not even in the same ballpark as pro basketball centers who are 6-9+ with large wingspans. And my logic sailed way over your head, like, you didn't even begin to address it. At least stick to the comparable athletes i don't give a flippidy **** about power lifters who walk around with stocky neanderthal skeletons and t-rex wingspans and live to increase their bench. They aren't skeletally similar to any of the players in question.

and all else equal, being leaner in fat while having similar total mass does = more functional muscle and therefore strength.... how did you not make that connection?

Shaq's 450lb bench-press claim dates as far back as ~2001, when he was roughly 325lbs which is when my example pic comes from. I don't care whether he's flexing or not, clearly he has more body fat than Wilt - yet he DOESN'T weigh more, meaning he has less muscle mass. (and @ you posting a pic of him flaunting spray-painted abs from the weight contest with Barkley). Your going to tell me that Shaq weighing 325 (15+%> minimum of body fat) vs Wilt weighing 327 (<10% equaling body fat) and Shaq isn't at a disadvantage due to their differences in body fat? They both weigh the same and one's weight is comprised more of fat? You don't think that matters at all? Fo Real!? And no, Shaq's weight is exactly the polar opposite of what you tried to say - relative to Wilt his weight is NOT concentrated in his upper body it is in fact more concentrated in his legs (and belly) and anyone who has seen a pic of Wilt's exposed leg's would know this. Wilt had pencil legs, no matter how much mass he added too his upper body his legs were always like stilts. So where are you suggesting Wilt's muscle mass lies since it clearly can't be his skinny ass legs? Wilt's upper body strength @ 327lbs > Shaq's at 325lbs >>>>>> Sefolofatass @ 350lbs

If you disagree good for you, but so far you've done a terrible job trying to find holes in the point I made.

you are crazy if you think wilt weighed as much as prime laker shaq. i mean seriously?

if Wilt was 327lb on the pictures i've posted, then shaq would easily be 350lb. sorry dude, prime shaq had easily 20+lb on heaviest wilt. and no i don't need any proof for that. it's called an eye test.

6ft 8 brian shaw.

every damn powerlifters in this planet usually carry sh!!tload of fat. i wonder why is that? lol
    Last edited by Linspired; 07-06-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by inclinerator
    wilt probably has denser bones than shaq
    i heard Wilt's bone weighed 3.5 x more than a typical bone.

Quote Originally Posted by Linspired
    wilt was a great physical specimen for sure.

but IMO, shaq was even better physical specimen because shaq he carried so much more weight and still ran like a deer.
    Shaq got timed on the show Shaq-Vs, he ran a 5.8 40 in shoes (~350lbs mind you, yes, it's impressive).

Wilt also got timed in the 40, he was about 290lbs at the time, and he was timed barefoot. He clocked 4.6...Shaq weighs more but he hardly "runs like a deer" in comparison. Wilt pushes 20.5% reduced body mass 26% faster than Shaq. Meaning he's not only ultimately quicker, but also relatively quicker pound for pound. Even in his bare feet. Seriously dude your comparing an accomplished track athlete to a guy who was well known for letting his physical fitness slide.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 07-06-2012 at 01:49 PM.

oh by the way, any Wilt pictures from Conan the Barbarian doesn't really count. Wilt was removed from basketball for 9 years!! who knows all he ever did was train with Arnie? if Wilt ever benched 500lb then it must be after he retired. Wilt does look like he carried more muscle in his biceps in 1984 than 1973.

regardless lakers shaq is considerably bigger than any wilt in his playing days.

you are crazy if you think wilt weighed as much as prime laker shaq. i mean seriously?

if Wilt was 327lb on the pictures i've posted, then shaq would easily be 350lb. sorry dude, prime shaq had easily 20+lb on heaviest wilt. and no i don't need any proof for that. it's called an eye test.

6ft 8 brian shaw.

every damn powerlifters in this planet usually carry sh!!tload of fat. i wonder why is that? lol
    Wilt isn't 327lb in the pics you posted, stop jumping to conclusions. He was 327lbs in the pic I posted at 40+ years old when he was working out with Arnie, which is where the 500lb bench figures started coming from. As an LA Laker in the pics you posted he is 285-305lbs depending on if they are pre or post-knee surgery. And Shaq weighed 325-350 in his prime (303lbs as a rookie) but 325 is his weight when the 450lb bench press claim surfaced for himself. Thus, I compared apples to apples. Their weights and their bench figures. From the specific time and physical condition of the players when the information began to occur. U follow?
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 07-06-2012 at 01:56 PM.

Shaq got timed on the show Shaq-Vs, he ran a 5.8 40 in shoes (~350lbs mind you, yes, it's impressive).

Wilt also got timed in the 40, he was about 290lbs at the time, and he was timed barefoot. He clocked 4.6...Shaq weighs more but he hardly "runs like a deer" in comparison. Wilt pushes 20.5% reduced body mass 26% faster than Shaq. Meaning he's not only ultimately quicker, but also relatively quicker pound for pound. Even in his bare feet. Seriously dude your comparing an accomplished track athlete to a guy who was well known for letting his physical fitness slide.

dude, we all know after shaq's prime, he was just a shell of his monster self. i can easily buy 44 year old wilt doing movies, boning 20k women was fitter, faster, and stronger than 35-36 year old shaq.

but i'm talking about 26-30 year old shaq here. that's the beast shaq i'm talking about. and that shaq ran like a deer.

Wilt isn't 327lb in the pics you posted dumbass, stop jumping to conclusions. He was 327lbs in the pic I posted at 40+ years old when he was working out with Arnie, which is where the 500lb bench figures started coming from. As an LA Laker in the pics you posted he is 285-305lbs depending on if they are pre or post-knee surgery. And Shaq weighed 325-350 in his prime (303lbs as a rookie) but 325 is his weight when the 450lb bench press claim surfaced for himself. Thus, I compared apples to apples. Their weights and their bench figures. From the specific time and physical condition of the players when the information began to occur. U follow?

you are the one who posted 44 year old wilt next to prime laker shaq. honestly i don't believe 500lb even if wilt trained like a maniac. his arm is too long and his chest muscle looks so ordinary.

this 6ft 1/2 inch dude who bench pressed all his life, a known juicer with much shorter arm and 3 times more muscle in his chest couldn't bench legit raw 500lb. many speculate arnie's max was around 490-495lb

Last edited by Linspired; 07-06-2012 at 02:03 PM.

Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Some of you believe anything you read, stories about Wilt are notoriously exaggerated, or do you think he counted 20,000 women, etc?

How gullible are some people..

dude, we all know after shaq's prime, he was just a shell of his monster self. i can easily buy 44 year old wilt doing movies, boning 20k women was fitter, faster, and stronger than 35-36 year old shaq.

but i'm talking about 26-30 year old shaq here. that's the beast shaq i'm talking about. and that shaq ran like a deer.
    He did run well, I still don't think he ran like Wilt though, I feel that's what seperates them is the running and leaping. Running (especially endurance) would be where I feel Shaq doesn't compare to Wilt in, but physical brute strength and even agility is where I feel they are comparable. I have both of their detailed measurements and they are freakishly similar - Wilt always being leaner and having about an inch of wingspan, 2 inches of reach, and a smidge of height over Shaq - while Shaq always has about 50lbs on Wilt and as I said, it's concentrated lower, meaning he might have more effective strength (it's harder to move a lower center of gravity) in the low-post.

Quote Originally Posted by 824
    Some of you believe anything you read, stories about Wilt are notoriously exaggerated, or do you think he counted 20,000 women, etc?

How gullible are some people..
    Spoken like a true Wilt Chamberlain historian

How about you let the people who have actually done research do the talking please. My BS meter works just fine, we're not talking about killing a mountain lion here and Wilt himself never talked about his bench press figures, they came from other people.

oh by the way, any Wilt pictures from Conan the Barbarian doesn't really count. Wilt was removed from basketball for 9 years!! who knows all he ever did was train with Arnie? if Wilt ever benched 500lb then it must be after he retired. Wilt does look like he carried more muscle in his biceps in 1984 than 1973.

regardless lakers shaq is considerably bigger than any wilt in his playing days.

Doesn't count? Your lost man, totally lost in the discussion. All I did was point when such feats of Wilt's strength were occuring and demonstrating with the same cheap eyeball test tactic, that it is indeed plausible that a man of that mass (327lbs at the time) was able to bench those figures.. And I posted it because Eurotroll thought posting pics of a 258lb skinny ass Harlem Globetrotter Wilt was a comical indiciation of Wilt's maximum physical prowess and "proof" that Wilt never benched the figures often cited.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 07-06-2012 at 02:16 PM.

He did run well, I still don't think he ran like Wilt though, I feel that's what seperates them is the running and leaping. Running (especially endurance) would be where I feel Shaq doesn't compare to Wilt in, but physical brute strength and even agility is where I feel they are comparable. I have both of their detailed measurements and they are freakishly similar - Wilt always being leaner and having about an inch of wingspan, 2 inches of reach, and a smidge of height over Shaq - while Shaq always has about 50lbs on Wilt and as I said, it's concentrated lower, meaning he might have more effective strength (it's harder to move a lower center of gravity) in the low-post.
    young wilt clearly had better vertical than shaq for sure. wilt also had straight line speed advantage, but they are centers, so it's rarely utilized in the game. endurance too. shaq never had a great endurance because he just carried so much weight.

regardless, shaq to me was a physical phenomenon. a guy that big who carries so much weight shouldn't be so agile and fast. his nba strength is not matched by any other players in the history of NBA IMO. and you are right his bun buns are probably twice more meaty than wilt's. strong dudes always had that beef buns. charles for ex.

i laugh at those who think bron is the #1 freak of nature of all time.

Doesn't count? Your lost man, totally lost in the discussion. All I did was point when such feats of Wilt's strength were occuring and demonstrating with the same cheap eyeball test tactic, that it is indeed plausible that a man of that mass (327lbs at the time) was able to bench those figures.. And I posted it because Eurotroll thought posting pics of a 258lb skinny ass Harlem Globetrotter Wilt was a comical indiciation of Wilt's maximum physical prowess and "proof" that Wilt never benched the figures often cited.

no i wasn't. i read your post and your ridiculous shaq/wilt side by side picture which is a weak argument. i still don't buy 500lb for 44 year old 327lb wilt. his arm is too long, chest is kinda ordinary.

no i wasn't. i read your post and your ridiculous shaq/wilt side by side picture which is a weak argument. i still don't buy 500lb for 44 year old 327lb wilt. his arm is too long, chest is kinda ordinary.
    Regardless of how fit he appears that pic of Shaq is when he was allegedly benching 450, and that fatass sefolfatty is doing 442. If you think Wilt, one of the greatest physical marvels in sports history particularly noted for strength, is not capable of putting up that kind of weight in his condition in the picture I posted despite the insistance of other eyewitnesses (note, his bench press figures never came from Wilt's own mouth) than I don't know what to tell you. You'll believe 325lb Shaq (not even in perfect fitness) benched 450 despite carrying more body fat and relatively more weight in his lower body, and you'll believe 350lb fat Europlayer benched 442, but a lean 327lb Wilt (note. Same total mass as Shaq when Shaq benched 450, and the weight isn't comprised of fat, or shifted to his lower body) can't. Got it.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 07-06-2012 at 02:50 PM.