Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    AK47DR91
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: Higher on the all-time SG list: Allen Iverson or Ray Allen?

Quote Originally Posted by AK47DR91
    As much as people have forgotten how good Iverson was during his first stint in Philly, people have also forgotten how great Allen was in Milwaukee. He wasn't just a long-range 3-point shooter like Reggie Miller was, who always get compared to Allen.

Allen was more than that. He was a great all-around player. He was kinda like early 2000's McGrady and Kobe but with much much less hype.

But Iverson will stand out more because he changed the way the point guard was supposed to play. He's also the greatest "little man" ever to play the game. A.I. was just one of a kind player.

Allen can easily but compared to McGrady, Mullin, Miller, Pierce, Melo, etc.
    Oh, forgot say which player I rank higher or prefer.

Based on accomplishments, Iverson is obviously higher on the ranking. But I'd rather have Allen on my team. I'd also say Allen is the better all-around basketball player. His longevity proves that.

Iverson has the accolades, awards and stats but that doesn't automatically make him the better player.

TL; DR version:
    Iverson is higher on the ranking because of his awards and accolades
    Allen is the better overall player(imo) and team player.
    More legendary? Iverson easily, because he was one of a kind player.
    Better career? better player? I don't know.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    This is such a dumb argument. Replace Durant with LeBron on the 2011 Heat and they would win a title opposed to flaming out in the finals. Too bad everyone knows LeBron was better than Durant then and by the way, Durant is my favorite player too.
    Who knows if Durant leads the Heat to the finals in 2011.. It's certainly not a given, especially during the Bulls series where LeBron essentially carried the Heat. Does Durant abuse Deng like the way LeBron did? I doubt it.

Back on topic.. I'm talking about his entire stint.. I'm not nitpicking 1 particular season.

NBA rookie of the year

I would put Ray higher. He wins in terms of longevity and shooting ability.

Decent college freshman

Iverson , people are quick to forget who he was.Back in the days he was the face of the NBA at one point and considered the best in business.Ray allen never reached those heights.

NBA sixth man of the year

How come the Bucks weren't better with Ray at the helm? They certainly had at least comparable talent. Some seasons they had more talent.

That weighs heavily with me. What each player did in their prime and when they were the top option on their respective teams.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy11
    For those clamoring for Ray Allen - state your case. You can't just say his name and not back it up.

i think ray was able to have a positive effect on a team more consistenly then ai. literally every team franchise ai ever played for got sick of him and dumped him. if he was so great to helpin them win they woulda still put up with him rite? the boy was very talented but i dont think that makes u great. ray allen is all time 3 point shooter and been coveted as a player byteams his whole career. thats great.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by martycrane
    i think ray was able to have a positive effect on a team more consistenly then ai. literally every team franchise ai ever played for got sick of him and dumped him. if he was so great to helpin them win they woulda still put up with him rite? the boy was very talented but i dont think that makes u great. ray allen is all time 3 point shooter and been coveted as a player byteams his whole career. thats great.
    Really?

You need to come a little stronger than that.

How come the Bucks never really did anything with Ray Allen? If he had such a positive effect....and did Milwaukee not trade Ray Allen for an aging Gary Payton?

I'm sorry, but I'm just not seeing a compelling enough argument for Ray Allen. Being a better teammate doesn't make you a better individual player, and Allen Iverson was a dominant player. Just never had the requisite help to win a championship, and his Sixer squad peaked at a bad time (against a very, very powerful Laker squad with two of the all-time greats).

I would rather Ray Allen strictly because he's a better SG. Iverson is hands down the better basketball player though. Then the other thing. Once is Jesus Shuttlesworth and the other in The Canswer.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy11
    Really?

You need to come a little stronger than that.

How come the Bucks never really did anything with Ray Allen? If he had such a positive effect....and did Milwaukee not trade Ray Allen for an aging Gary Payton?

I'm sorry, but I'm just not seeing a compelling enough argument for Ray Allen. Being a better teammate doesn't make you a better individual player, and Allen Iverson was a dominant player. Just never had the requisite help to win a championship, and his Sixer squad peaked at a bad time (against a very, very powerful Laker squad with two of the all-time greats).
    When u resort to comparing team achievements to compare players u have a bad argument. i could just say 'ray has a ring! he wins!' ur makin excuses bout who iversons teams played against etc, i could look for excuses for the bucks. ur not comparing the two players.

ray is the alltime three shooter. thats a fact. he had a longer career of being effective and actually helpin teams. fact. u have ur reasons for ai im sure, were prob just different. i value ways of making teams run better however possible, u may value crossovers and high ppg on low % shooting. thats ok, its just diff strokes.

but like i said, i think mostteams would draft ray rite now over ai, what does that tell u

Quote Originally Posted by Punpun
    Oh wait. No. He doesn't even have a Yuroleague MVP.

you don't even have a brain.

I'd take Iverson. Mvp, Took a shitty team to the finals

Quote Originally Posted by Punpun
    Bynum + Gasol > Shaq. There I said it.
    Shaq+any 4 > Bynum+ Gasol

how can you compare 2 players to 1?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el

I'd take Iverson. Mvp, Took a shitty team to the finals
    ok so his team sucked and he dragged them to the finals?

lebron and kobe had bad teams and combined to make 1 finals with crappy rosters.

u have ai = lebron and ai>kobe?

thats directly what ur 'team achievement' argument says. its just a false argument to help u make the case u alrdy decided to make. its weak.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    I need no brain to state facts.

I am your soldier!

Iverson, come on you guys. It's pretty easy.

I'd rather have Ray on my team, but AI was a transcendent player for a few years.

Allen Iverson.

Better prime, better career. He was very much the better player during their primes, so there would be your answer as to who's higher on the all-time SG list.