Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: HBO's The Newsroom: "America Isn't the Greatest Country in the World"

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWhiteGreen
    Think it says a lot more about the people than it does anything else. A higher %age of Americans are rotting away in jail than anywhere else, but America is the best country in the world? OK, kid. I love how in the US it's considered OK to fatally shoot a guy because he looks suspicious, but you keep crime off the street! I didnt actually argue that the UK was any better, anyway, but I'd much rather live here, thanks... And if I remember right, didn't you choose to come to uni here? Why wouldn't you stay in the greatest country in the world?
    I had to spread the doctrine of American greatness to the dark outreaches of the third world.

College superstar BlackWhiteGreen's Avatar

Default Re: HBO's The Newsroom: "America Isn't the Greatest Country in the World"

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    I had to spread the doctrine of American greatness to the dark outreaches of the third world.
    Even though it's obvious you're trolling, I think I'll take this as proof of my point.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

One thing he's right about, our current generation is pretty goddamn pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
    One thing he's right about, our current generation is pretty goddamn pathetic.
    Boomers got to you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWhiteGreen
    Think it says a lot more about the people than it does anything else. A higher %age of Americans are rotting away in jail than anywhere else, but America is the best country in the world? OK, kid. I love how in the US it's considered OK to fatally shoot a guy because he looks suspicious, but you keep crime off the street! I didnt actually argue that the UK was any better, anyway, but I'd much rather live here, thanks... And if I remember right, didn't you choose to come to uni here? Why wouldn't you stay in the greatest country in the world?
    Until they hang everyone in in the royal family I'll put the UK in the top 10

Banned

[LIST][*]We are the undisputed winner when it comes to technological invention and scientific/medical breakthroughs and discoveries. American innovation is unrivaled.[*]We have among the highest standards of living throughout all developed nations.[*]Our currency is the world currency and has been for quite some time.[*]Our language is the world language and has been for quite some time.[*]American culture is followed, copied and embraced everywhere; including sports.[*]The U.S. military is one of the best in the world. We saved countries' asses in numerous wars; World Wars included.[*]We're the financial capital of the world. The biggest and most successful companies on Earth list on our stock exchanges. Shit, most of them happen to be American companies.[*]Several of the most renowned and distinguished universities are American ones.[*]Our median income levels and GDP per capita are among the highest in the world.[*]We're a free-market democracy with a balance of government that is pretty damn near perfect. Freedom of speech, right to bear arms, etc. Did you know that the UK just made it illegal to troll online?[/LIST]

We might not still hold the #1 spot on all rankings, considering the fact that subjectivity plays such a big role in those. But to imply that we are anywhere outside of the top 5 is entirely incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by DFish
    [LIST][*]We have among the highest standards of living throughout all developed nations.[*]Our language is the world language and has been for quite some time.[*]We're the financial capital of the world. The biggest and most successful companies on Earth list on our stock exchanges. Shit, most of them happen to be American companies.[*]Our median income levels and GDP per capita are among the highest in the world.[*]We're a free-market democracy with a balance of government that is pretty damn near perfect. Freedom of speech, right to bear arms, etc. Did you know that the UK just made it illegal to troll online?
    * Is that why more than half your country can't get proper health care, affordable housing and decent wages?

* You do realize you didn't invent English right?

* Your median income levels are so high because you have the most overpaid CEO's and financial criminals in the known world which causes a great imbalance in the figures

* FYI, if you think you live in a democracy and have a damn near perfect balance of government you're even more deluded than everyone thought you were

** Thanks for allowing me to troll your post, enjoy

America is indeed n

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Dogg
    * Is that why more than half your country can't get proper health care, affordable housing and decent wages?

* Your median income levels are so high because you have the most overpaid CEO's and financial criminals in the known world which causes a great imbalance in the figures

* FYI, if you think you live in a democracy and have a damn near perfect balance of government you're even more deluded than everyone thought you were

I make a good salary so therefor U.S #1

MERICA! MERICA!

NBA Superstar

Saying any country is the greatest in the world is useless, it is all about perspective, and people are going to crave the food, culture, people and ideals of their home country.

Only blowhardy self-indulged people (Colin Cowherd types) like to think one place is better than another, everywhere has their own pros and cons, it depends what you want.

Speaking of blowhardy, I really wanted this show to be good, but so far it is almost painful at times with its preachiness and self-indulgent tripe.

Pity.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Dogg

It's a capitalist system where the government doesnt baby you and pander to your every need. I know so many swedes and and english people freeloading off the state, not even looking for work, happy to recieve their benefits check for the rest of their lives.

In Sweden or UK if you want to be lazy, it's ok the government will still baby and protect you and give you free money to get drunk 3 times a week as well as free money to buy a decent enough flat.

In America, the government doesn't baby you, if you want to be lazy and do nothing, well you're going to live a shitty life.

What's wrong with obesity? Back in the day, obesity was seen as high class, it meant you could afford to not work+get fat.

If some peasant from Europe 200 years ago came to America today he'd say we were the richest country ever.

Let people be fatasses if they want to.

LAWL. It's a more balanced democracy than a nation like England for example, where the House of Lords, a house of people BORN INTO POWER WITH NO TRUE MERIT, still have political power and control.

Why do Euros even pretend to hate America? They love our music, they love our movies, they wear clothes we design, they learn english, all of them I talk to want to visit or live in New York, why do people deny it?

Hell, in London right now the #1 fashion seems to be wearing American flags. EVERYWHERE. In every UK clothes shop you walk in to, the american flag is slapped on to everything-tshirts, pants, thongs, wallets, bootyshorts, shoes, purses, everywhere you go you see dumb english kids covered by the american flag. It was similar when I went to Latvia, but more people wore aberccrombie ripoff shirts with names of stupid places in america like North Dakota University.

Oh yeah don't forget UCLA clothing, an American university, and all those idiots in Norway and UK who wear it and brand themselves with it, thinking its a cool american brand when really it's just initials to a university.

Face reality, America is dominating. Even kids from other countries are covering themselves in our flag on a daily basis.
    Last edited by Nick Young; 07-12-2012 at 05:28 AM.

   

Quote Originally Posted by RaininTwos
    These arguments are just bullshit. I do think there are differing tiers in terms of countries, but I don't see what would put the United States ahead of Canada, the U.K. and a host of other awesome countries.
    you don't see what it is? okay, can i point you in the right direction, at least?----

economic leverage. the dollar. a past history of being in the top position of military manipulation, the confidence of knowing that the world accepts you as the #1 superpower whether they actually despise you or whether they count on your regular support, regardless of how paper-thin the margin of difference might be. and on and on and on....

College superstar

Americans seem really insecure about this issue (Not all). I think they're the only country who ram their "greatness" down other peoples throats. U.S wake the **** up no one cares.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by step_back
    Americans seem really insecure about this issue (Not all). I think they're the only country who ram their "greatness" down other peoples throats. U.S wake the **** up no one cares.
    If people didn't care they wouldn't bitch and moan about America so much and always try to discredit it's greatness

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    If people didn't care they wouldn't bitch and moan about America so much and always try to discredit it's greatness
    Who bitches and moans? The people I see here complaining about America seems to always be Americans. Which is an obvious statement. The majority of people don't care about a pointless argument such as this. It seems certain people like you want others to validate your argument by saying how great your country is. Why do you even care?