Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I rule the local playground Turkododo's Avatar

Default racist tweet: Greek triple jumper is banned from the Games after her African Joke

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...st_read_module

A Greek triple jumper has been expelled from the Olympics after she posted a racist joke on Twitter.

Voula Papachristou was kicked out of her national team for mocking African migrants and expressing support for a far-Right political party.

Her offending message – which was referring to reports of mosquitoes carrying the West Nile virus in her home country – read: 'With so many Africans in Greece, at least the West Nile mosquitoes will eat home made food!'

After initially insisting her comment had been 'a joke,' the 23-year-old yesterday issued a lengthy apology. But she was still expelled from the team by the Greek Olympic Committee, who said her statements had been 'contrary to the values and ideas of the Olympic movement'.

was this taken far too seriously or was it justified?

Default Re: racist tweet: Greek triple jumper is banned from the Games after her African Joke

Justified, imo. You let her slide then you have to let anyone and everyone with a racist mentality slide. I'm glad she was removed from the Games.

You see, here's the thing:
    With so many athletes participating from across the globe, it wouldn't be fair to allow a racist comment to slide. She'd be offending an entire region of Olympic supporters.

Plus, I think racist jokes are lame now. I'm past laughing at mocking someone's differences.

Default Re: racist tweet: Greek triple jumper is banned from the Games after her African Joke

Well it's not exactly tactful so she probably should've gotten a small reprimand instead of getting kicked out of the Olympics. But it sounds like there's more to it, as she's apparently political. I imagine spouting your political agenda all over the place could turn off your teammates.

NBA lottery pick

Off topic: But my Boy from high school Will Claye Will Win gold for mens Triple Jump

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    That's a weird name.
    Good one?

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    That's it? That's not bad at all, and surprisingly witty for a woman athlete.
    ^^^ you should tweet this, much more offensive

How is that even racist? Has nothing to do with race.

Banned

She should've said something about mosquitoes liking the dark meat. At least get the bang for your buck if it's going to cost you the Olympics.

This woman apparently is a supporter of the golden dawn party in Greece, which is an extremely right party that denies the holocaust happened and promotes aryan supremacy, among other things.

link
    Last edited by irondarts; 07-27-2012 at 05:18 PM.

I heard she's a Neo-Nazi.

Don't know if it's justified or not, but the committee did it to protect themselves. Which I can understand why, but seriously, people need to let it go and laugh at at it.

Racism is NEVER going to come to an end, but we could do a whole hellavue better if people weren't so sensitive about it.

Very good NBA starter

four years ago, the entire spanish basketball team took a pic mocking oriental eyes.

College superstar

Muh political correctness!

yeah I don't like this really...who cares if she is a Nazi, they shouldn't be throwing people out because of their tweets :/

it should be about the games only...not people's ignorance