Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Demonoid hit by DDoS attack

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Hero
    When you download magnets do you need software? I used bittorrent to download torrents. Can I still use bittorrent or use something else?
    I download magnets just fine with Utorrent.

Quote Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
    only TV show site u need is EZTV.IT

(for regularly airing new'ish series)
    ya ive used that. but arent the invite sites better?

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KDTrey5
    ya ive used that. but arent the invite sites better?
    Not really.

I've always considered KAT and TBP superior to Demonoid TBH, and I've had a Demoniod account for a decade or so.

Any TV show I usually get @ eazytv, and if I cant find it I look on TBP or KAT.

Or that other site I posted: http://213.155.27.24/forums/index.php?act=idx (torrent forums there are invisible until registered and logged in but it's a fantastic forum w/ a requests area as well)

Just use common sense, look at filesize, read comments, etc.

All I can say is get what you want while you still can, cause this train ride is coming to an end soon I imagine.
    Last edited by FatComputerNerd; 08-03-2012 at 08:02 AM.

Kat.ph sucks. Their community sucks their admins suck, and their trackers suck. Don't know why you keep bringing it up. Extratorrent is even better, and atleast they host their own content.

PirateBay is king because of it's community, torrent base & trackers and wonderful staff. Now it's my #1 source for torrenting purposes.

Demonoid has the most powerful trackers of them all, and hands down a better community. Hard to find a faulty or virus filled torrent on that site. But the staff is reduced to nothing. I believe as of now only one guy runs it. Shame, a few years ago Demonoid basically ran the torrent world with it's out of world trackers, torrent variety, staff and community. I've had an account for so long on there, shame it has come to this. Hoping for the best though.

Quote Originally Posted by Batz
    Kat.ph sucks. Their community sucks their admins suck, and their trackers suck. Don't know why you keep bringing it up. Extratorrent is even better, and atleast they host their own content.

PirateBay is king because of it's community, torrent base & trackers and wonderful staff. Now it's my #1 source for torrenting purposes.

Demonoid has the most powerful trackers of them all, and hands down a better community. Hard to find a faulty or virus filled torrent on that site. But the staff is reduced to nothing. I believe as of now only one guy runs it. Shame, a few years ago Demonoid basically ran the torrent world with it's out of world trackers, torrent variety, staff and community. I've had an account for so long on there, shame it has come to this. Hoping for the best though.
    Extratorrent is far from better. You can't even sort a search by seeds unless you pay them for a premium membership!!!

They are a good release group [ettv] and many of the things I download were released by them, but I rarely download anything directly from there since the interface is not nearly as nice.

If I can't sort by seed and.or by date uploaded, im not using that site.

KAT lets you do all that, and they have almost as much content as TBP, as well as a very nice home-page showing all the latest most popular torrents. Also, their community forum is not bad. I don't actually post there but I've looked through it a bit and it seems fairly active.

Anyhow, there is maybe one time out of ten I can't find something on KAT and have to use TBP.

Then for something very obscure that I can't find anywhere, it's off to Darkside_RG forum to make a request, which someone usually helps w/. As I've said before, Darkside_RG is the best torrent FORUM on the web. You just need to register before the torrent areas become visible is all.
    Last edited by FatComputerNerd; 08-03-2012 at 09:18 AM.

I use TBP and PublicHD, it's been ages since I logged in to Demonoid.

Quote Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
    Extratorrent is far from better. You can't even sort a search by seeds unless you pay them for a premium membership!!!

They are a good release group [ettv] and many of the things I download were released by them, but I rarely download anything directly from there since the interface is not nearly as nice.

If I can't sort by seed and.or by date uploaded, im not using that site.

KAT lets you do all that, and they have almost as much content as TBP, as well as a very nice home-page showing all the lastest most pupular torrents. Also, their community forum is not bad. I don't actually post there but I've looked through it a bit and it seems fairly active.

Anyhow, there is maybe one time out of ten I can't find something on KAT and have to use TBP.

Then for something very obscure that I can't find anywhere, it's off to Darkside_RG forum to make a request, which someone usually helps w/. As I've said before, Darkside_RG is the best torrent FORUM on the web. You just need to register before the torrent areas become visible is all.
    True. Extratorrent and their premium membership is such a horrible thing. But their trackers are strong and fast. Have never let me down. Kat on the other hand has countless times. They're solid don't get me wrong, but to be mentioned as a top torrent site is not accurate. And the community sucks, and the staff is horrid.

I only use Demonoid for large and heavy files such as FLAC albums, Adobe/Editing softwares (10GB+ Files), full games and 1080P Movies. The speeds and qualities are incredible. Sucks that it's down.

True. Extratorrent and their premium membership is such a horrible thing. But their trackers are strong and fast. Have never let me down. Kat on the other hand has countless times. They're solid don't get me wrong, but to be mentioned as a top torrent site is not accurate. And the community sucks, and the staff is horrid.

I only use Demonoid for large and heavy files such as FLAC albums, Adobe/Editing softwares (10GB+ Files), full games and 1080P Movies. The speeds and qualities are incredible. Sucks that it's down.

I just prefer KAT because of the layout of their home page, and 9/10 I can find what I am looking for on there.

If not, then it's off TPB (or occasionally ET)

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    I used Demonoid a lot back in the day, but I prefer private sites now like Waffles.fm or just News Groups.

I think I downloaded 150GB of stuff from Demenoid. rightnow I'm like at 50GB worth of music on Waffles. 1.089 share ratio!
    do you have any waffle invites available?

I wouldn't be surprised if governments are behind the attack. Government will only fail at taking legal routes to shut these sites down for so long, and then they will do whatever is necessary to protect the special interests that support them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    I wouldn't be surprised if governments are behind the attack. Government will only fail at taking legal routes to shut these sites down for so long, and then they will do whatever is necessary to protect the special interests that support them.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuxnet

http://news.yahoo.com/spy-chief-asks...223700809.html

Time to start downloading as much as you can, because by the end of this year our filesharing days are over.

http://www.zdnet.com/demonoid-busted...ce-7000002208/
    News broke today that Demonoid was busted by Ukrainian authorities in the middle of last week. The massive Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack that brought the site to its knees late last month was apparently just the beginning.

Last week, the server was turned off completely and the site led to a dead end. Then it came back to life and started redirecting to random sites full of advertisements. Eventually this stopped and both demonoid.me and demonoid.ph went back to not responding. Now we know why.

Government officials reportedly arrived at ColoCall, the largest datacenter in Ukraine, to shut Demonoid down. An anonymous ColoCall source gave a statement to Kommersant (via TorrentFreak). Here is a rough translation from Russian courtesy of Google Translate, with some grammar fixes:

Shortly after this hacker break-in occurred, and even a few days later, came the investigators. Investigators copied all the information from Demonoid's servers, and sealed them. Some equipment was not seized, but now that [the connection] does not work, we were forced to terminate the agreement with the site.
    Demonoid's servers may have been closed off, but the site's administrator appears to still be at large. The source noted that the site's management is located in Mexico. In fact, the admin declared late last week that Demonoid would be back, eventually.

The general consensus is that Demonoid did not break Ukranian law. In fact, the site went to extreme measures to avoid the wrath of local authorities: it blocked all Ukranian IP addresses. Nevertheless, it is believed that the U.S. got involved, and suddenly Ukraine started looking into the torrent site.

On Friday, Ukraine's Interior Ministry announced that the site was taken down the night before its First Deputy Prime Minister Valeriy Khoroshkovsky arrived in the U.S. to discuss matters with United States Trade Representative Ron Kirk. One of the issues on the docket was, unsurprisingly, intellectual property rights. In fact, this was the first matter mentioned in their joint statement, which was released by the Office of the United States Trade Representative:

We discussed the importance to each country of greater progress on the 2010 IPR Action Plan for protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights (IPR). The United States supported Ukraine's commitment to redouble efforts, especially those identified in the Action Plan, to implement protections that benefit both Ukrainian and American inventors and creators. The United States also hailed Ukraine's planned increase in intellectual property inspectors, as called for in the 2010 IPR Action Plan, as well as its adoption of a new Customs Code intended to improve customs valuation procedures.
    If the site administrator manages to bring back Demonoid, he'll have to find a new country for the site's servers. That's happened before, so there's a chance it will happen again.

Summary:
    Demonoid, one of the biggest torrent sites, was taken down on July 25 by a massive Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack. Ukrainian officials then made sure the servers remained inaccessible, apparently to show the U.S. it is taking intellectual property rights seriously.

I'm trying to get as much as possible on to my 2TB HDD, because i don't doubt that next year it will be extremely difficult to find reliable and fast sites to download things from.

Anyone have a torrentday invite?

Quote Originally Posted by Loneshot
    Anyone have a torrentday invite?
    wait in line