Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213
    7-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Matrix Director Changes Gender

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    the analogy isn't the situations themselves but the paradigm shift between what "normal" people once accepted and what they accept now. as time goes on and new treatments become available and people are better educated on these issues you will see an increase in acceptance towards transsexuals.

the point is that just because you might be talking for the normal person doesn't mean you are on the side of right.
    Except we're not in the 1800's or the 1920's, even the 1960's.

My point is that there's a reason it was finally figured out that slavery was terrible, and that women should vote.

I get that you're saying the conventional line of thinking isn't always right, and in some cases, I agree, but there's just such a huge difference in these issues. I don't think it should be that hard to understand why people have a problem with this surgery.

And really, how do you think these people go about living their lives after the surgery? You can't possibly believe it's a normal life, can you? You don't think they get harassed regularly? How many can have sexual relationships? Especially without deceiving people, and I believe they have a moral obligation to be honest. If they're not willing to, and many aren't, that's just another reason why this surgery is unacceptable.

I doubt transsexuals will be generally accepted in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    As I implied in my earlier post I linked a Wikipedia article so it would not be heavy on your mind because it seems like it has not been used other than fortification of false assumptions and prejudice. It's only natural though that you still refuse to face the reality of your ignorance. What is a person who is born an XXY gonna do about it?
    Anyway I will paste this part to bring things into perspective:

Finally the whole concept of Gender is a social construct made up through years of patriarchy so your whole point is moot.
    I caught the shots you took at me, but I'm not really interested in going about things that way. You can insult my intelligence and pretend you have any idea about how intelligent I am, it really doesn't bother me. I'm not particularly impressed by you either, and don't think you're capable of teaching me anything.

I can read anything about the subject and still have the opinions I have.

I will always think their minds are the problems, not their bodies. That's their problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Except we're not in the 1800's or the 1920's, even the 1960's.

My point is that there's a reason it was finally figured out that slavery was terrible, and that women should vote.

I get that you're saying the conventional line of thinking isn't always right, and in some cases, I agree, but there's just such a huge difference in these issues. I don't think it should be that hard to understand why people have a problem with this surgery.

And really, how do you think these people go about living their lives after the surgery? You can't possibly believe it's a normal life, can you? You don't think they get harassed regularly? How many can have sexual relationships? Especially without deceiving people, and I believe they have a moral obligation to be honest. If they're not willing to, and many aren't, that's just another reason why this surgery is unacceptable.

I caught the shots you took at me, but I'm not really interested in going about things that way. You can insult my intelligence and pretend you have any idea about how intelligent I am, it really doesn't bother me. I'm not particularly impressed by you either, and don't think you're capable of teaching me anything.

I can read anything about the subject and still have the opinions I have.

I will always think their minds are the problems, not their bodies. That's their problem.
    It's not your intelligence I'm insulting, it's your narrow vision and close mindedness. I thought you would be smart to get it and start educating yourself on the issue but it seems like I overestimated your intelligence and underestimated your resolve to remain uninformed on the matter.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    It's not your intelligence I'm insulting, it's your narrow vision and close mindedness. I thought you would be smart to get it and start educating yourself on the issue but it seems like I overestimated your intelligence and underestimated your resolve to remain uninformed on the matter.
    You're assuming I'm uneducated and uninformed on this issue because I don't agree with you. Now who is close-minded? It really is laughable that the ones who think they're so open-minded criticize anyone who doesn't agree with them, and pretend they're the only ones who are informed which has happened throughout this thread.

You're assuming I'm uneducated and uninformed on this issue because I don't agree with you. Now who is close-minded? It really is laughable that the ones who think they're so open-minded criticize anyone who doesn't agree with them, and pretend they're the only ones who are informed which has happened throughout this thread.

Ths

Freedom of speech baby!!!

Well if somebody comes to me and starts talking about how Gays are wrong in the head and should all go under shock therapy I would safely assume that person is uneducated and uninformed on the issue. Your initial post that I quoted is full of statements close to what homophobes spew everyday I don't see anything that points out to your knowledge on the issue.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

How do you know they're happy? They may be at first, but how about after they get their ass kicked a few times? Or spending their life alone, with the exception of the few who can trick people, which will lead to the inevitable beating when it's discovered.

I doubt that many can be happy walking around as some strange cross between both sexes. They will be in for a rude awakening if they think they'll be accepted and generally thought of as the sex they want to be.

And aside from whether they are happy or not. The man who finally got his leg amputated was happy afterwards, why is that not ok, and this is?
    studies show they are happy. the psychological or medical community wouldn't approve of the treatment if the majority of recipients ended up being depressed or suicidal - the point is to alleviate those kinds of emotions, they aren't doing it to freak you out. the individuals themselves also don't start dressing and acting as the opposite gender only after they have the surgery. they are probably already on hormonal treatments too so they've already experienced the consequences of living as a transsexual. and as i also said there are people out there who do embrace them physically. sure you and i are not up for it, but those people do exist.

i don't know anything about the man whose leg was amputated. i don't know what the doctors said, i don't know what the procedure was, i never said it was ok or not.
    Last edited by miller-time; 08-02-2012 at 05:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    studies show they are happy. the psychological or medical community wouldn't approve of the treatment if the majority of recipients ended up being depressed or suicidal - the point is to alleviate those kinds of emotions, they aren't doing it to freak you out. the individuals themselves also don't start dressing and acting as the opposite gender before they have the surgery. they are probably already on hormonal treatments too so they've already experienced the consequences of living as a transsexual. and as i also said there are people out there who do embrace them physically. sure you and i are not up for it, but those people do exist.

i don't know anything about the man whose leg was amputated. i don't know what the doctors said, i don't know what the procedure was, i never said it was ok or not.
    I cannot believe people are not over this simple issue still, while in Japan this happens
    [QUOTE]Mao Sugiyama Cooks, Serves Own Genitals At Banquet In Tokyo
    His tweet:
    "[Please retweet] I am offering my male genitals (full *****, testes, scrotum) as a meal for 100,000 yen

NBA rookie of the year

I don't really have a grasp on this point. I'd liken it to drug use or extreme piercings or extensive cosmetic surgery (which is basically what this is). What someone else does to his or her own body is mostly a curiosity. At worst I'm weirded out a bit, but I don't see how this is radically or fundamentally less acceptable than a full body tattoo or something.

Do you then make the concession that you think they will eventually be generally accepted?

Quote Originally Posted by Scoooter
    I don't really have a grasp on this point. I'd liken it to drug use or extreme piercings or extensive cosmetic surgery (which is basically what this is). What someone else does to his or her own body is mostly a curiosity. At worst I'm weirded out a bit, but I don't see how this is radically or fundamentally less acceptable than a full body tattoo or something.

Do you then make the concession that you think they will eventually be generally accepted?
    That's just an ignorant claim, transsexuals are accepted by people in Asia, I lived for three years in East Asia and I saw a lot of transsexuals working everyday jobs with no problem. Thailand and Iran have the most number of sex change surgeries in the world. Iran even pays for their surgery

NBA rookie of the year

I'm surprised about the Iran news. Fascinating in light of their religious conservatism.