Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    Decent college freshman Vragrant's Avatar

Default Re: Is Bruce Lee the greatest fighter who ever lived?

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    That would be Alexander Karelin.

He was a monster, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfDDXpjFtP0
    Damn this guy is a beast. He almost doesn't look human, like he could have been in the Avengers. Some these guys can't even move him.

Banned

Man, the stories this guy tellls... almost as hilarious as his real life escapades.

Steven Seagal vs The Mob

And as mentioned earlier...

Steven Seagal shits where he sleeps

The man is the gift that keeps on giving.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vragrant
    Damn this guy is a beast. He almost doesn't look human, like he could have been in the Avengers. Some these guys can't even move him.
    He was undefeated at the absolute highest levels of Greco Roman wrestling for 13 years... That included three gold medals at the Olympics (1988, 92 and 96). That move that you see him do in the video where he picks guys up and throws them across his body onto their heads/backs is something that he invented... called the Karelin Lift. You probably will never see it performed on that level of competition again.

Largely considered the greatest Greco-Roman wrestler to ever live.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 08-03-2012 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackass18
    Who cares? That would be basically finding out who the most well known fighter is.
    It's not that anyone cares or not... it's more as if that's all we really have to go on without our minds wandering and being highly speculative. You can claim X fighters is the greatest ever, and I can claim X fighter, then someone else chime in a vise versa; then round-n-round we go.

I'm not trying to claim as FACT BL was the greatest ever... just saying it's a possibility (yet unlikely, just as I've claimed before in here). However, you, and others who share your opinion, are making claims there's no doubt whatsoever BL was not one of the greatest, much less the greatest. I have to ask you, how do you know this FOR FACT exactly? You don't.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59

Man, the stories this guy tellls... almost as hilarious as his real life escapades.

Steven Seagal vs The Mob

And as mentioned earlier...

Steven Seagal shits where he sleeps

The man is the gift that keeps on giving.

I had never heard the story about Seagal being subbed and sh!tting himself. That is priceless.

A few weeks ago on Howard Stern, someone from Saturday Night Live was on... I don't remember exactly who... Maybe David Spade.

He said that when Seagal hosted, he had an encounter with him that went something like this...

Seagal: "I just read the most amazing movie script that... I have ever read."

Spade: "Oh, yeah? Who wrote it."

Seagal: "I did."

Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 08-04-2012 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
    It's not that anyone cares or not... it's more as if that's all we really have to go on without our minds wandering and being highly speculative. You can claim X fighters is the greatest ever, and I can claim X fighter, then someone else chime in a vise versa; then round-n-round we go.

I'm not trying to claim as FACT BL was the greatest ever... just saying it's a possibility (yet unlikely, just as I've claimed before in here). However, you, and others who share your opinion, are making claims there's no doubt whatsoever BL was not one of the greatest, much less the greatest. I have to ask you, how do you know this FOR FACT exactly? You don't.
    We don't... because he's never proven it.

Why should I just assume that he is the best fighter?

How do you know that Steven Hawking isn't the best fighter ever?

How do we know that Jonah Hill isn't the greatest basketball player to ever live?

We don't know. Steven Hawking might be the best fighter ever and Jonah Hill might be better than MJ in basketball. We don't know.

So how in the world can somebody make those claims if they have literally ZERO proof of these things?

Just look at this video of Bruce Lee hitting a punching bag. Does this look like the greatest fighter to ever live in your opinion?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aObGLTfJa1w

Here he is kicking a pad and then kicking a bag:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfSJF5FDz1k

Now, after watching that, do you think he could kick a 300 pound bag to the ceiling. Note: the bag in that video is nowhere near 300 pounds.

Now watch Mike Tyson hit the heavy bag:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2rpf...eature=related

See the difference?
    Last edited by bmd; 08-03-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmd
    We don't... because he's never proven it.

Why should I just assume that he is the best fighter?

How do you know that Steven Hawking isn't the best fighter ever?

How do we know that Jonah Hill isn't the greatest basketball player to ever live?

We don't know. Steven Hawking might be the best fighter ever and Jonah Hill might be better than MJ in basketball. We don't know.

So how in the world can somebody make those claims if they have literally ZERO proof of these things?
    I'm just simply trying to keep things realistic and using logical thinking and sound judgment. I'm not trying to equate apples and oranges in the mix tossing names around such as Stephen Hawking mentioned within the realm of "greatest fighters ever" ... I don't mean to disrespect, but really guy?

I get your point, but let's not get carried away and make outrageous claims to prove something. I get it, OK? No need to paint a picture of SMH comparisons and fruitless "get the point?!" mock-ups.

Banned

I had never heard the story about Seagal being subbed and sh!tting himself. That is priceless.

A few weeks ago on Howard Stern, someone from Saturday Night Live was on... I don't remember exactly who... Maybe David Spade.

He said that when Seagal hosted, he had an encounter with him that went something like this...

Seagal: "I just read the most amazing movie script that... I have ever read."

Spade: "Oh, yeah? Who wrote it."

Seagal: "Me."

Truly a God amongst men

From the blog 'The ridiculousness of Steven Seagal':

7- His pathological lies/delusions

It would take a month to extensively list all of Seagal

I'm just simply trying to keep things realistic and using logical thinking and sound judgment. I'm not trying to equate apples and oranges in the mix tossing names around such as Stephen Hawking mentioned within the realm of "greatest fighters ever" ... I don't mean to disrespect, but really guy?

I get your point, but let's not get carried away and make outrageous claims to prove something. I get it, OK? No need to paint a picture of SMH comparisons and fruitless "get the point?!" mock-ups.
    I was showing that you are not using logical thinking and sound judgement.

We've never seen Bruce Lee spar, much less fight.

Isaac Frost

Quote Originally Posted by bmd
    I was showing that you are not using logical thinking and sound judgement.

We've never seen Bruce Lee spar, much less fight.
    ... and I never said he was the greatest ever, either. I was basing things off of what public common perception is around the globe. It doesn't make it right or wrong. You make it seem like as if anyone who even remotely thinks of BL as a world class fighter is a straight up moron and needs to step up their shit (knowledge wise).

I understand you're a MMA dude, or you practice or are involved in that type of shit, but respectfully, it honestly doesn't exactly position you on some "elite" pedestal where everyone should bow down and say "whatever this guy says, believe it!"

I can't say if BL was one of the greatest ever, and you can't say he wasn't.

This thread sucks, OP you are probably bored out of your mind. I mean why did you open this thread anyway? Cause of some argument you had with a moron in the dojo or something? I don't even see anybody here claiming Lee is the greatest ever yet you keep dragging this tired argument keep posting and trying to discredit them while they insist that they don't think BL is the greatest fighter ever.

... and I never said he was the greatest ever, either. I was basing things off of what public common perception is around the globe. It doesn't make it right or wrong. You make it seem like as if anyone who even remotely thinks of BL as a world class fighter is a straight up moron and needs to step up their shit (knowledge wise).

I understand you're a MMA dude, or you practice or are involved in that type of shit, but respectfully, it honestly doesn't exactly position you on some "elite" pedestal where everyone should bow down and say "whatever this guy says, believe it!"

I can't say if BL was one of the greatest ever, and you can't say he wasn't.
    Yes I can say that, because he never proved it. Can I say I'm the greatest basketball player ever if I've never proven it? No.

And I'm not an MMA guy. I like MMA, because I like martial arts in general. In fact, my uncle is a Sifu under Dan Inosanto (one of Bruce Lee's original students). He's written books on Jeet Kune Do and used to write for Bruce Lee Magazine.

I don't hate Bruce Lee at all. I don't like fairy tales when it comes to martial arts. People talk about Bruce Lee like some kind of god and it completely overshadows all of the other great martial artists and fighters out there.

People have huge misconceptions about martial arts. They watch kung-fu movies and listen to all of the Bruce Lee "feats" and think if somebody isn't kicking ass like Bruce Lee did in MOVIES then they aren't really all that good. They don't realize that real fights don't work that way.

Anyway, enough of my rant. My point is simply that there have been martial artists for a hundred years proving themselves in actual combat. Bruce Lee has done nothing to be worthy of the title of greatest fighter ever.
    Last edited by bmd; 08-04-2012 at 12:52 AM.

Well in that case, I could claim myself as the greatest fighter ever. There's a difference between being an actor, writing books, sparring, kicking a bag, training, etc. and actually competing against other well trained fighters. I'm just limiting the speculation and ruling out those who don't have documented proof of their fighting prowess. For all we know, there's some crazy guy out there who lives in a cave that's the greatest fighter ever, but without any kind of proof, then there's no reason to give such consideration.
    Last edited by Jackass18; 08-04-2012 at 12:33 AM.