Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Default Re: How many fans here actually live in their team's market?

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    I think it's funny that fans believe living where their team is something to be proud of. More than anything, it proves you have been sucked into a hype machine without making your own decision.

I think college teams are good to follow if you went there or live where it is, but NBA teams? It's accepting the bare minimum. Obviously, it's cool to go to the games, and it would be odd to dislike the team that you were near, but to force yourself and like them and their players because you live there and everyone else does it? Doesn't seem like something to be proud of to me...

-Smak
    That is a very odd position to me and one that I think can only come from someone who didn't grow up near professional sports teams. I'm not a fan of the teams solely "because they're close" or "because I want to be like everyone else."

I'm a fan because my father began taking me to Cavs, Browns and Indians games when I was a very young child... And his dad took him to Browns and Indians games (there were no Cavs back then) when he was young. When you grow up in a city where sports are an important aspect of the culture, it is a generational thing that is passed down from father/mother to son/daughter.

There is no point where you consciously make the decision, "I'll just go with this team, I guess." I mean, I guess I could have switched allegiances at some point, but why? These teams are engrained in the culture and they are one of the last things that truly brings the community together... Be it father/son, young/old, rich/poor, etc.

I guess I should apologize for accepting the "bare minimum," eh? There is much more to be proud of with picking a random team that you have no association with just because they win or you like the colors or there is a guy on the team you have a crush on or whatever... That's the way to go.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 08-05-2012 at 03:49 PM.

I think it's funny that fans believe living where their team is something to be proud of. More than anything, it proves you have been sucked into a hype machine without making your own decision.

I think college teams are good to follow if you went there or live where it is, but NBA teams? It's accepting the bare minimum. Obviously, it's cool to go to the games, and it would be odd to dislike the team that you were near, but to force yourself and like them and their players because you live there and everyone else does it? Doesn't seem like something to be proud of to me...

-Smak
    One of the dumbest post I've read all year. Future negged for the first time.

-Sunny

Quote Originally Posted by UtahJazzFan88
    I live 45 minutes from the arena here in Utah, aka mormonland.
    Do you live in happy valley? Thats momo land. Salt Lake City itself is very liberal and diverse, thats where I reside. 5 minute walk from my apartment to the Arena. **** suburban Utah, all it is, is milfs driving SUVS and taking kids to and from events and not knowing how to drive.

Banned

-Smak
    Rationalizations of a bandwagoner.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Skep
    Do you live in happy valley? Thats momo land. Salt Lake City itself is very liberal and diverse, thats where I reside. 5 minute walk from my apartment to the Arena. **** suburban Utah, all it is, is milfs driving SUVS and taking kids to and from events and not knowing how to drive.
    I love MILFs. Are the SLC MILFS dtf?

Where my announcement! Zackmorris's Avatar

-Smak
    ...What!?

Because it's definitely not possible to be a fan of the team thats in the same area you was born and raised in.

Serious playground baller Gabuyaux's Avatar

I live across the bridge from the Warriors, but in a few years they'll be in my city

Warriors Til I Die LT Ice Cream's Avatar

I can take the monorail straight to Oracle and see the Warriors in 35 min. If they are actually good this year, it's gonna be sick!