Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: The Legendary Sabonis

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Finally (and perhaps most importantly), has anyone seen a series of moves more awkward and off-the-wall than Sabonis' argument with a referee in the video posted earlier? It seems like it'd be a fun gif: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06usV6451ik#t=0m46s. He's like a malfunctioning robot. In a span of five seconds he goes from "WHAT!?" to "Whoa! No offense, sir" to pop-and-lock to CPU override. I've never seen anything like it.
    That was a dance move. It was Sabonis style, and he had guts to pull it off.

Even more famous "the duck" dance, when his team beat the Russia.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oDLSQ-5xdo#t=1m06s

For the selection of people here who were actually able to watch Sabonis play in his prime, I respect your opinions and memories. For everyone else though, how are you guys gathering your information on his true skills? Is it just based upon what other people have said about him (such as Bill Walton, a guy never big on hyperbole)?

I don't mean this as a criticism of Sabonis. It's just, after years of his name being brought up in discussions, and the inevitable posts in response claiming he may have ended up as the best big man of all-time, I'm always left searching in vain for what the rest of us non-European posters under age 37 have apparently missed. I see short mixtapes where he makes good plays (and dunks on David Robinson) but that is about it. I watched Sabonis come stateside and put in work while hardly being able to move, but that still doesn't necessarily lead me to believe he would have been the best big man of all-time.

Finally (and perhaps most importantly), has anyone seen a series of moves more awkward and off-the-wall than Sabonis' argument with a referee in the video posted earlier? It seems like it'd be a fun gif: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06usV6451ik#t=0m46s. He's like a malfunctioning robot. In a span of five seconds he goes from "WHAT!?" to "Whoa! No offense, sir" to pop-and-lock to CPU override. I've never seen anything like it.
    I'm only 21, only seen a handful of his games before he came into the NBA as an old, banged up, and injured player. But from those games, and everything I've read personally from other NBA players/analysts, and the opinions of older posters, as well as people I play basketball with who have seen him, it backs up.
    If you're lucky enough to find a few of his games, do watch them.

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harison
    That was a dance move. It was Sabonis style, and he had guts to pull it off.

Even more famous "the duck" dance, when his team beat the Russia.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oDLSQ-5xdo#t=1m06s
    Was this mf'er #7 in that video

Quote Originally Posted by Calabis
    Was this mf'er #7 in that video
    Number 7 was sporting an epic beard, but overall it was a weak era for beards.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    Look at this amazing recovery!
    In 02-03 Sabonis averaged 6.4 ppg and 4.3 RPG in 15 MPG. He seemingly couldn't run up and down the court but that's still decent for an old grandpa. Shaq and Steve Francis used to use him for poster practice though.

BUT THEN in 03-04 he suddenly recovers and wins an MVP award of an entire continent.

What could have brought about this remarkable recovery?
    Think about this for a second...

...if not for Sabonis going over there and DOMINATING, Anthony Parker might have been a THREE TIME Euroleague MVP.

Let that simmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry
    With that said, very strong era for mustaches and mullets.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    I think Sabonis would have been a top 5, if not the best center ever had he started his career in the NBA. Guy was a beast.
    Too big, too strong, too skilled. He had everything.
    He would been on the 2nd tier of best center alongside Admiral.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkreth
    It's nothing really much to think about, think of Sabonis you've seen in the NBA and add good athleticisim and speed to him. Scary.

He will be great player nonetheless but you are spreading his myth. When he had all those, he could not dominate a college version of the Admiral. Hakeem basically dominate a grown man version of Admiral.

With that said, very strong era for mustaches and mullets.

Local High School Star

This is one of my favourite players - Sabonis is the most gifted and talanted Europe player I have ever seen with very hiqh basketball IQ, BUT he has NEVER realized his potential. To be mentioned along with the All time greats he should go to college right after USSR basketball tour in USA in 1982 when he was the leading scorer (18 ppg and 9 rpg in 27 mun- 9 games) at the age of 17. Four years in WC in Madrid he was not exactly the player, who some of the experts expect to be. He DID NOT exactly destroy David Robinson, it was about an even match up with Robinson better during the first half and Sabonis better during the second half of the game. The stats are internet available (also the entire game in youtube as I remember)and shows Sabonis with 16 points and 11 rebounds agaainst 20 points and 4 rebounds for Robinson. Both players shot around 0.50 FG.
    And some rare info - in 1986 WC Sabonis was already bothered by some injuries and did not take part in the pregames for USSR. Also I have read an article in which A. Gomelsky (soviet coach) said that in that championship Sabonis was not himself and it is his worst championship till that moment in his career.
    In my opinion and comparing him to Robinson - Sabonis was the more gifted rebounder and passer as he was also good in shot-blocking.

He's a beast.. But Joel Anthony >>> Prime Sabonis.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease TMacMagic's Avatar

Sabonis was a boss. Imagine him in the NBA during his prime with good athletic trainers.

Would have to rename the game to SabonisBall.

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Would destroy every single big man in today's NBA.

Full games with Sabonis can be found here: http://descargasbasket.blogspot.dk/search/label/Sabonis