Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Default Re: The Legendary Sabonis

Unfortunately for me I only got to watch an older Sabonis live with the Blazers. I do remember him being the only bigman even at that age/conditioning though that I've ever seen come even close to being able to handle Shaq physically in the post. He still got killed like everybody else but he didn't get bullied nearly as much.

From footage I've seen though and accounts from coaches, players and scouts... it's clear this guy is one of the greatest players of all time (whole career). I mean look at his battle with D Rob during Olympics? As somebody else said that combination of size, skill and athleticism will never be matched. 7'3, 300+ pounds with a SF skillset as well as a great post game and great defense.

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

best case for Sabonis made by Walton

he PLAYED with prime Bird....doesn't have any beef with him..and has repeatedly said that Sabonis was a 7 foot or 7'3" Larry Bird

we'll never know if he had the heart and balls that Bird had to take and make CLUTCH shots his entire career, but Walton's co-sign is a good indicator of what kind of skillset Sabonis had.

Walton tried to get him to defect before, which tells you all you need to know about American athlete mindset....hey, leave your entire family behind the iron curtain and come to the NBA

the REAL question is why does Ray Liotta(goodfellas) look EXACTLY like Sabonis now?

Portland defintely had their chance at godly players and it never works out. Mj and durant..Pass. Sabonis, Oden, Roy. Career ruined by injuries. Chris Paul ? Nah we will take martell Webster.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Sabonis was a good player even in his last couple years over here. I missed him the moment he was gone.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

The legend is better than reality.

We can talk about hypotheticals all we want, but Sabonis did make a fantastic career for himself regardless of injuries.

At 34 and barely able to run, he put up 16, 10 and 3 for a playoff team... In a way that's even more impressive than all the "ifs" we can think of. It shows what he was still capable of doing under the most adverse of circumstances.

Saw a basketball once

Did the Blazers have a chance to get Chris Paul?

Even when he was old and broken down, he still guard relatively guard peak Shaq and that passing of his

Divac and Webber were nice... I haven't watched a ton of Walton games... But to me, Sabonis tops them all in that department.

Banned

A while ago Shaqattack posted a link to some games of Sabonis in the 80s, including his olympic game vs Robinson. He actually didn't dominate him nearly as badly as people made it out to be, but in all those game Sabonis was still very impressive, and probably a top 10 (probably 5) player in the NBA during the period. His defense however, was not impressive compared to the other great centers of the late 80's and early 90s. Of course, it was a pretty small sample size so take it with a grain of salt.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    A while ago Shaqattack posted a link to some games of Sabonis in the 80s, including his olympic game vs Robinson. He actually didn't dominate him nearly as badly as people made it out to be, but in all those game Sabonis was still very impressive, and probably a top 10 (probably 5) player in the NBA during the period. His defense however, was not impressive compared to the other great centers of the late 80's and early 90s. Of course, it was a pretty small sample size so take it with a grain of salt.
    Sabas never dominated the Admiral. This myth spread like a plague because of YouTube highlights.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster
    Sabas never dominated the Admiral. This myth spread like a plague because of YouTube highlights.
    He certainly outplayed him, and he was quite a bit physically bigger considering it was college Robinson, but it wasn't some sort of embarrassment or anything.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    He certainly outplayed him, and he was quite a bit physically bigger considering it was college Robinson, but it wasn't some sort of embarrassment or anything.
    Outplayed him.

Did you even watch the game ?

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

1986 Sabonis before Injuries was the Best Center after Hakeem and Shaq in the Last 25 Years.

He Totally Destroyed Robinson and was ONLY 8 Months Older...So Don`t Give Me The "He Was in College Still" Crap.

Had He Entered the NBA in 84 or 85 He Would Have Had A Great Career and Had He Stayed Healthy...You Would Easily Consider Himself To Be in the Top 5-6 Centers Ever
    Last edited by Round Mound; 08-07-2012 at 08:30 PM.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Round Mound
    1986 Sabonis before Injuries was the Best Center after Hakeem and Shaq in the Last 25 Years.

He Totally Destroyed Robinson and was ONLY 8 Months Older...So Don`t Give Me The "He Was in College Still" Crap.

Had He Entered the NBA in 83 or 84 he would have had a Great Career and Would Consider Himself To Be in the Top 5-6 Centers Ever

Totally destroyed Robinson.

Not again

Pelican Brief

I remember watching him as a kid and thinking he'd be great if he wasn't so fat old and slow. Wasn't a student of the game then. Once I watched pre injury Sabonis I said wow. Shame we saw the old busted version.

Sadly I'll always think of Shaq saying "I own Arvydas Sabonis"