Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    rank sentamentalist

Default fact or fiction: poverty lends itself to obesity because eating healthy is expensive

i'm curious about opinions on this. my experience is that the cheapest living is on a predominantly vegetarian diet w/ the occasional meat thrown in a few times per week

just read a post in booze's thread once again propagating the idea that eating frozen shit and fast food is the cheapest way to go. it's certainly the least labour intensive and time is money or w/e, but speaking strictly about prices

thoughts?

Raz
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: fact or fiction: poverty lends itself to obesity because eating healthy is expensive

Depends on where you live. If you live in Nunavut, frozen is the way to go, fresh is very expensive. Everywhere else, I'd say fresh vegetables. I can buy more than a week's worth of food in fruits and vegetables for under $50 for 2 people, easy

O-Qua Tangin Wann

Default Re: fact or fiction: poverty lends itself to obesity because eating healthy is expensive

In America and most developed countries today, yeah. But elsewhere, the poor are usually thin and malnourished.

No, eating shit is easier, not cheaper. Pasta, water, vegetables, rice, bread, and lean cuts of meat are not expensive.

Decent college freshman

Produce can get expensive. I love green grapes for example and just buying a bag of those when they're not on sale is around $5.00 for the bag. If you want a nice salad you're not buying iceberg lettuce and even if you are you have to buy all the extra stuff to put in it. Plus it has a shorter shelf life.

Anything any the natural foods selection is expensive.

The healthiest meat is expensive (I know because I work in a meat department).

Healthy living isn't cheap, and it doesn't always fill you up which means you might be eating more of it which costs even more money.

I don't eat fast food, and rarely eat anything frozen. But I can understand someone who is low income and has to feed their family. There are dollar menus and frozen meals that are store brand that are cheap.

rank sentamentalist

lol let's say for the sake of argument that i'm talking about your standard western city, as opposed to surviving on a frozen tundra or a barren desert

No, eating shit is easier, not cheaper. Pasta, water, vegetables, rice, bread, and lean cuts of meat are not expensive.
    pretty much. i guess i wasn't expecting much debate, that's doubles as the healthiest and the most economical... if not necessarily the tastiest, tho it easily can be if you know what you're doing

it amazes me how ingrained the opposite conclusion is though, that crap is cheap and raw isn't. yet i hear it all the time, the other thread only being the latest example.

Even if you want to be lazy there are plenty of frozen meals like healthy choice and kashi that are cheap as hell, low cal, low fat, and high protein.

If you are eating cheaply, a majority of your diet is processed food.

This is bound to affect what nutrients you are getting.

But the real question is do we really know what causes obesity?

Quote Originally Posted by Riley Martin
    In America and most developed countries today, yeah. But elsewhere, the poor are usually thin and malnourished.

There's nothing in that picture that suggest those people are malnourished.

AK47DR91

Quote Originally Posted by Riley Martin

That dude in the far right.... That's levitation, Holmes!

Raz

Quote Originally Posted by hoopaddict08
    Produce can get expensive. I love green grapes for example and just buying a bag of those when they're not on sale is around $5.00 for the bag. If you want a nice salad you're not buying iceberg lettuce and even if you are you have to buy all the extra stuff to put in it. Plus it has a shorter shelf life.
    Stupid argument.

1. I love green grapes.
    2. Green grapes can be expensive.
    3. Eating healthy is expensive.

I'm glad you're just a poster on ISH and not someone making big decisions in the world.

Anyway, if you eat what's in season, and what's on special, you can make out like a bandit. A whole pumpkin goes a long way as does cauliflower or broccoli when they're on sale.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    yeah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4YZiKbklAE

It has more to do with lack of education and class culture.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    If you are eating cheaply, a majority of your diet is processed food.

This is bound to affect what nutrients you are getting.

That is definitely false.