Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: How many assists and rebounds is the equivalent of a 20 point game?

Yeah, I replied on the first page of the thread....but still Kudos to checking the actual stats.

One thing I thought about is the difference in the positions.

For example... a PG almost always has more assists than other players, and a center almost always has more rebounds than other players.

These are simply the result of the nature of their positions. Centers are under the basket and EXPECTED to get rebounds. And point guards are handling the ball and are EXPECTED to get assists.

SG, SF, and PF are kind of stuck in the middle.

So how can you assess their performances when comparing against a PG or a C? It is unfairly skewed to those who rack up assists or rebounds. SG would be screwed the most because they are generally out of position for rebounds, and they don't rack up assists like PG's.

So should the statistics be weighted accordingly depending on the position? For example, should assists from a small forward be worth more than an assist from a point guard?

The only problem with this is that it would require a lot more work. It would require finding stats for each specific position.
    Last edited by bmd; 08-19-2012 at 11:23 PM.

Local High School Star

I think the result would not out weigh the trouble. See PER.

I think Assists, especially these days, are vastly overrated.

Yes, some assists lead directly to buckets, and the passer may as well be given credit for the bucket.

However, more often than ever, what you see these days are assists that come from jumpers, or from players making a significant move to score after receiving the pass.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason

Yes, some assists lead directly to buckets, and the passer may as well be given credit for the bucket.

However, more often than ever, what you see these days are assists that come from jumpers, or from players making a significant move to score after receiving the pass.
    This. Honestly, I'd say maybe 20 assists = 20 points. Basically giving half the credit for a point to the assist guy. I think thats about fair. And then I might even say 20 rebounds = 20 points, because about only half the time a team scores so only about half the rebounds actually lead to a basket. Sounds crazy I know, but as much as people want to understate scoring, I think its still the greatest stat. Stats are overrated anyway because they don't tell the whole story, but I think it is the greatest stat.

Local High School Star joshwake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol
    Assists is a stupid stat, players actually have to make the shot.

And there are in the flow points and points that influence the way defenses play teams, it's really all weighted differently.

Stats overall are just a pile of crap TBH.

Assists are a "stupid stat"?

only on ish......

Not airballing my layups anymore PsychoWorm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joshwake

Assists are a "stupid stat"?

only on ish......
    I agree with him mostly. Assists don't factor in good passes that lead to baskets for example say Kobe splits the double team and then fakes the big guarding Pau and hits him with the pass, the defense rotates on Pau therefore he makes the simple pass to Dwight for the easy 2.

Does Pau deserve credit? Sure he does but so does Kobe. Also you can be playing the game of your life as a point guard on the Bobcats and make 40 good passes leading to open shots but if nobody hits anything you go down with 0 assists. Not a stupid stat it still has value but nowhere near perfect.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason

Yup. Nowadays you'll watch a game and a guy will get 9-10 dimes than you can turn around and watch another and a guy who only got 6 assists will have ran the point better than guy A.

A guy like Lawson who penetrates? If Denver is shooting good from 3 he'll get more assists, if their not than he won't but he's doing the exact same thing.

Not to say assists are completely worthless but because a guy dumps the ball off to a player who does a step back jumper doesn't mean that assist is worth 2 points like so many people try and do.

Warriors Til I Die LT Ice Cream's Avatar

There's no easy way to measure that. IMO assists can be kind of subjective. I feel like an assist should only count if you make a pass that puts your teammate in an advantageous position to score.
    But I've seen shit like Rondo passing to KG in the post and then he fakes left, spins right, pump fakes, up and under, finishes a hard layup.
    Apparently that counts as an assist just the same as if you pass to Allen for an open 3.
    So yeah, there's no way to measure your question.