Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Default Re: Can a player who can't palm the ball able to become an allstar/superstar in the NBA?

Rasheed Wallace had small hands and he could barely palm the ball. It's part of the reason he wasn't that good of a rebounder. He couldn't pull them down with one hand

Default Re: Can a player who can't palm the ball able to become an allstar/superstar in the NBA?

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    How can an nba player not palm the ball? I'm 5'11 and can palm a ball
    5'9 a can palm it for a little bit, a 6'3 friend of mine can't.

I doubt Mugsy Bogues could.

Quote Originally Posted by riseagainst
    Or would he even get in to the NBA?
    I think no because there's no way they can compete at that level without better ball handling. They might get away with small hands in high school.
    Nate Robinson can't palm a ball + he's only 5-7.75 w/o shoes... so yes you can at least "make it" to the NBA w/o being able to palm. Having hands small enough to not be able to palm the ball is going to be rare considering even the smallest NBA players are rarely less than 6-0 to 6-1...

Banned

You guys are only focusing on height and hand size. The most important thing when you are palming the ball are the strength of your fingers. Having bigger hands helps but if you have small hands you can still palm the ball. I've seen a tiny asian man do it so its definitely possible.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Darrell Griffith one of the best dunkers of his day couldn't palm it. He wasn't an all-star but put up all-star type numbers before he was benched in favor of a stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    Darrell Griffith one of the best dunkers of his day couldn't palm it. He wasn't an all-star but put up all-star type numbers before he was benched in favor of a stiff.
    Who was that stiff?

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive
    5'9 a can palm it for a little bit, a 6'3 friend of mine can't.

I doubt Mugsy Bogues could.
    I am 6'3'' and cannot palm a ball. I think some folks here are overrating the necessity to palm a rock. It is not imperative to palm a ball in order to have excellent ball handling skills.

Also, I believe hand size is the biggest factor in palming a ball. Hand strength helps, but it will only take a person so far. Further, you guys may scoff, but I actually think the makeup of a person's skin plays a role. By that I mean, those with chronically dry and stiff hands may be at a slight disadvantage. For instance, the only time I can kind of palm a ball, is when it's relatively humid outside, the one time my hands actually carry any small level of moisture.

Warriors Til I Die LT Ice Cream's Avatar

Steve Francis couldn't palm the ball. He was an all-star I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwyane Rose
    Josh Smith can't palm a ball.
    thats a lie

but yeah Nate Robinson has been quoted that he can't palm a basketball. I don't think palming a basketball has much to do with whether or not you become an NBA Superstar or not

also palming has nothing to do with ball handling, otherwise it would be a carry. It has more to do with dunking then anything else

I can palm the ball unless my hands are really sweaty

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Contrary to what one may believe, I've heard on numerous occasions that Ben Wallace could barely palm a basketball. From a personal standpoint, I tend to recall a number of instances where the ball would squirt out of his hands on a dunk attempt. I suppose it still he could palm, just not too well.
    From what I remember something happened to Ben's wrist, which may be why he couldn't palm a ball.

He had great form on his shot, but would always go everywhere when he released the ball.

Serious playground baller General's Avatar

I'm 6'3" and I can't palm a basketball My hands measure just under 8 inches from the tip of my middle finger to my wrist. Small hands I guess.

Entity of Existence Living Being's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by General
    I'm 6'3" and I can't palm a basketball My hands measure just under 8 inches from the tip of my middle finger to my wrist. Small hands I guess.
    What about hand spread? You can make up for hand length if you can stretch your hand wide + have strong fingers.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    Who was that stiff?
    Bobby Hansen who was third string before Griffith held out and broke his foot. Jazz were always one to hold a grudge and he never got his job back. They also traded Dell Curry because of the great Bobby Hansen!

I can't palm it but can handle the ball just fine. Griffith wasn't a great ball handler but did improve a lot before he retired.

big hands help you finish better