Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Default did Lebron really have extraordinary Jordanesque finals performance this year

This is not meant to be a Lebron-bashing thread, as - while i never performance really liked him - i think Lebron is already top 15 GOAT and has been the best player in the league since at least 2009.

What I do take issue with is people saying Lebron had one of the best finals performances in history and comparing it to Jordan's. My opinion is that Lebron played very very well but he didn’t quite reach Jordan’s levels from 1991-1993 and that his performance was not THAT much better than Kobe’s 2009 performance, i.e. it is somewhere between that of Jordan and Kobe.

Here are the stats
    Jordan 1991 Finals: 31.2 PPG, 6.6 RPG, 11.4 APG, 2.8 SPG, 55.8% FG
    Jordan 1992 Finals: 35.8 PPG, 4.8 RPG, 6.5 APG, 1.7 SPG, 52.6% FG
    Jordan 1993 Finals: 41.0 PPG, 8.5 RPG, 6.3 APG, 1.7 SPG, 50.8% FG
    Kobe 2009 Finals: 32.4 PPG, 5.6 RPG, 7.4 APG, 1.4 SPG, 43 FG%
    Lebron 2012 Finals: 28.6 PPG, 10.2 RPG, 7.4 APG, 1.6 SPG, 472 FG%

Again, this is not meant to downgrade what Lebron has done but I personally think Oklahoma lost not only because Lebron played so well but also because of Westbrook’s ballhogging and dubious ref calls, i.e. Lebron did not play so out of his mind ala Jordan 1991-1993 that Oklahoma had no chance of winning.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Default Re: did Lebron really have extraordinary Jordanesque finals performance this year

Eh, it was great but not flat out legendary.

I think you may be confusing people's praise for his entire playoff run with praise for his Finals.

Many have said his playoff run is an all-time great. I'd agree.

His Finals alone was great too, but not in the top 5 ever or anything.
    Last edited by tmacattack33; 08-27-2012 at 09:46 PM.

Default Re: did Lebron really have extraordinary Jordanesque finals performance this year

His whole run was amazing. Top 3 ever easily

no, lol

It was great, but I'd take 91 and 93 over it. Might take it over 92 performance, but man, 36-5-7, that's about 7 points for 5 more rebounds and 1 more assist.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Collie
    It was great, but I'd take 91 and 93 over it. Might take it over 92 performance, but man, 36-5-7, that's about 7 points for 5 more rebounds and 1 more assist.
    On much better efficiency. In fact, given the difference in efficiency between Lebron's '12 Finals (47% FG/49% eFG/56% TS) and MJ's '92 Finals (53% FG/57% eFG/62% TS), it's more like a 9+ point difference.

LeBron's entire playoff run was absolutely great, but his finals performance was just very good. For LeBron it is a lot of praise because he finally got over the hump, and hopefully the title draught is over like MJ's was after the first.

not so much, but he won his first ring as the best player and got a Finals MVP.

I wonder if people even care how "great" their run was if they win. Nobody wants to play badly, but if you play well... who cares how well?

-Smak

It was a great run, but retards like the one under this text are what ruins it

Quote Originally Posted by TylerOO
    His whole run was amazing. Top 3 ever easily

Dont even compare him to this two GOAT, Jordan and Kobe..

His playoff and finals run were overrated, in fact its not even a top ten all time.. Only his retarded stans will tell you so..

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    On much better efficiency. In fact, given the difference in efficiency between Lebron's '12 Finals (47% FG/49% eFG/56% TS) and MJ's '92 Finals (53% FG/57% eFG/62% TS), it's more like a 9+ point difference.
    91: 31 on 56%
    92: 36 on 53%
    93: 41 on 51%

The combination of skill, creativity and athleticism he put on display was unbelievable. I just watched 93 1st Rd Game 3 vs Hawks. I think he shot 16-27 or something like that. So effortless. He could give it to guys any way he wanted to. Amazing to watch in his prime. Best perimeter scorer ever.

When you actually watch what he did on tape, yes. He was unbelievable against OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by FireDavidKahn
    When you actually watch what he did on tape, yes. He was unbelievable against OKC.
    This, also some stuff doesnt show on the statsheet (like defense and closing/clutch plays).

But overall his playoff performance was easily one of the best ever by a Finals MVP, Jordanesque but not as Jordanesque as especially 1991, that i consider the best playoff performance ever by a Finals MVP, then comes Hakeem 1994-95, Shaq 2000 and so on....
    Last edited by pauk; 08-27-2012 at 11:43 PM.

[ [ Sickplicity ] ]

Jordan and Shaq absolutely run the game as far as Finals performances are concerned. Check out the active thread that includes MJ, Shaq, Lebron, Kobe, Wade, Bird, Magic, Olajuwon, Duncan, etc.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote Originally Posted by lilgodfather1
    LeBron's entire playoff run was absolutely great, but his finals performance was just very good. For LeBron it is a lot of praise because he finally got over the hump, and hopefully the title draught is over like MJ's was after the first.
    Exactly. I think media is just creating a narrative about how Lebron finally got it and all the redemption stuff so they are overrating his performance and ignoring the fact that a big part of the reason Miami won had nothing to do with Lebron's play.