Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default I lost respect for wilt's 100 point game

I always took wilt's 100 point game for what it was. I knew his weight and height was a factor and he was like a man amongst boys but I never discredited him for it. IMO a man is a man and he just made the most of his physical abilities.

What I didn't know was the manor that he scored those points. When the team and crowd seen him get 50 they felt that it was a game where he could break his previous record of 78. What they did next is what makes me discredit it.

They did everything within the rule book to pad his numbers. They all passed up open shots and layups to get his score up. They even fouled the other team on purpose do they could get the ball back quicker. If that was done in today's game we would all scream bloody murder. I can't get with that and that is not respecting the game IMO

Local High School Star

Default Re: I lost respect for wilt's 100 point game

I'm not making it up either, google the report on the game. There was no reporters or footage of the game and the nba was not as popular the sport that it is today. To me it was more a gimmick to get the nation to take notice

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by INDI
    I always took wilt's 100 point game for what it was. I knew his weight and height was a factor and he was like a man amongst boys but I never discredited him for it. IMO a man is a man and he just made the most of his physical abilities.

What I didn't know was the manor that he scored those points. When the team and crowd seen him get 50 they felt that it was a game where he could break his previous record of 78. What they did next is what makes me discredit it.

They did everything within the rule book to pad his numbers. They all passed up open shots and layups to get his score up. They even fouled the other team on purpose do they could get the ball back quicker. If that was done in today's game we would all scream bloody murder. I can't get with that and that is not respecting the game IMO
    Well, did you reseach Bird's 60 point game? Or Shaq's 61 point game? Or Robinson's 71 point game?

How about this, then? Chamberlain had a 73 point game, on 29-48 shooting, AND with 36 rebounds, against 6-11 HOFer Walt Bellamy. Which was one of FOUR 60+ point games that he had against him.

Wilt also had a 73 point game on 29-43 shooting, a 68 point game on 30-40 shooting, and his LAST 60+ point game, as late as his '69 season, was a 66 point game, on 29-35 shooting.

Just to be fair the other team started doing everything they could to stop him from scoring that much, they were freezing the ball and fouling his teammates so he couldn't score either....He was averaging 50 PPG so it was beyond 50 that they started doing this...Wilt Himself said that he didn't like how the game was being played on both sides. It was a dash at the end but not a dash from 50...I could say a lot more but I think jlauber will say plenty lmao (not dissing him I love the depth he goes into to be honest)

Crazy stats he told me

Chamberlain also had a 73 point game on 29-43 shooting, a 68 point game on 30-40 shooting, and a 66 point game on 29-35 (yes ... .829 shooting!) He also had a 43 point game on 18-18 shooting....Idk if its the same 73 point game but he scored 73 points and got 36 rebounds against a HOF player Walt bellamy

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    Well, did you reseach Bird's 60 point game? Or Shaq's 61 point game? Or Robinson's 71 point game?

How about this, then? Chamberlain had a 73 point game, on 29-48 shooting, AND with 36 rebounds, against 6-11 HOFer Walt Bellamy. Which was one of FOUR 60+ point games that he had against him.

Wilt also had a 73 point game on 29-43 shooting, a 68 point game on 30-40 shooting, and his LAST 60+ point game, as late as his '69 season, was a 66 point game, on 29-35 shooting.
    haha I knew you would reply, but not before I did! when I started writing you hadn't said anything yet X)

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    Just to be fair the other team started doing everything they could to stop him from scoring that much, they were freezing the ball and fouling his teammates so he couldn't score either....He was averaging 50 PPG so it was beyond 50 that they started doing this...Wilt Himself said that he didn't like how the game was being played on both sides. It was a dash at the end but not a dash from 50...I could say a lot more but I think jlauber will say plenty lmao (not dissing him I love the depth he goes into to be honest)

Crazy stats he told me

Chamberlain also had a 73 point game on 29-43 shooting, a 68 point game on 30-40 shooting, and a 66 point game on 29-35 (yes ... .829 shooting!) He also had a 43 point game on 18-18 shooting....Idk if its the same 73 point game but he scored 73 points and got 36 rebounds against a HOF player Walt bellamy

Will you look at that! Walt Bellamy was Black! And rumor had it that he was 6-11 too (or around 7 feet in shoes)!

Impossible! Wilt only faced 6-6 nerdy WHITE centers. Obviously that pic was photo-shopped.

The REAL Bellamy was the white guy with glasses standing behind him in that photo. In fact, that was the entire Bellamy team behind Wilt.

Local High School Star

I think wilt was a beast but I don't dig that kind of play. Some years back there was a player who was 1 assist away from a triple double, his team was up and clearly won the game but called a timeout to try and get him another assist. The opposing team ended up sitting on the scorers table and laying on the floor while the player passed it to a teammate to score with no one guarding them.

It was the stupidest thing I ever saw and the losing team walked straight to the locker room. Their coach was so angry he pushed the player when he tried to hug him. People don't respect stuff like that

Will you look at that! Walt Bellamy was Black! And rumor had it that he was 6-11 too (or around 7 feet in shoes)!

Impossible! Wilt only faced 6-6 nerdy WHITE centers. Obviously that pic was photo-shopped.

The REAL Bellamy was the white guy with glasses standing behind him in that photo.

haha, do you happen to know what the highest Wilt scored on thurmond vs Kareems highest against thurmond

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by INDI
    I think wilt was a beast but I don't dig that kind of play. Some years back there was a player who was 1 assist away from a triple double, his team was up and clearly won the game but called a timeout to try and get him another assist. The opposing team ended up sitting on the scorers table and laying on the floor while the player passed it to a teammate to score with no one guarding them.

It was the stupidest thing I ever saw and the losing team walked straight to the locker room. Their coach was so angry he pushed the player when he tried to hug him. People don't respect stuff like that
    While Wilt was obviously proud of that game, he too, was more embarrassed by the fact that he took 63 shots. And I don't believe that he ever ranked it as his greatest game, either (of which he had COUNTLESS ones.)

I think jlauber gets notified when anybody makes a post about wilt anywhere on the net..

Banned

every time this discussion comes up i mention that wilt was allowed to jump over the free throw line and basically do layups for all his free throws during that game

just look it up for yourself on google...

nobody seems to care that he had a BS 90% ft shooting night..

he wouldnt have scored more than 85 if he had to shoot them legitly

Local High School Star

While Wilt was obviously proud of that game, he too, was more embarrassed by the fact that he took 63 shots. And I don't believe that he ever ranked it as his greatest game, either (of which he had COUNTLESS ones.)
    dont get me wrong, I think wilt was amazing and I got him ranked top 4 all-time. I havent lost respect for him as a player, just this game. I was unaware of all this and it just kinda taints it for me. Like when people meet their idol only to find out that he's a jerk in real life

3-time NBA All-Star

haha, do you happen to know what the highest Wilt scored on thurmond vs Kareems highest against thurmond
    You can look them up at basketball reference.com. They now have EVERY single boxscore dating back to 1946. The boxscores are limited, though, but they do contain the scoring totals. Incidently, here is a great link that Fpliii gave me...

http://nbastats.prv.pl/

Scroll about halfway down, and you will see "Wilt Chamberlain Game Logs," It is a spreadsheet that contains EVERY game that Chamberlain played. Here again, some of the info is not available, but there is a TON there.

And, if you want the most comprehensive take EVER on the 143 Russell-Wilt H2H's...here you go...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...5TkFDY3c#gid=0

Kareem vs. Nate?

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=193410

And my updated version...

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=263453
    Last edited by jlauber; 08-26-2012 at 01:16 AM.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    every time this discussion comes up i mention that wilt was allowed to jump over the free throw line and basically do layups for all his free throws during that game

just look it up for yourself on google...

nobody seems to care that he had a BS 90% ft shooting night..

he wouldnt have scored more than 85 if he had to shoot them legitly
    While Wilt (and other's, most notably TEX WINTER) have claimed that he could indeed dunk FTs, he NEVER did it in an NBA game. That was BANNED by Tex Winter's rules committee in the mid-50's.

3-time NBA All-Star

I'm sorry, I misread your post (I am 57 after all)...

A prime Kareem played against Nate in 43 career H2H starts (even into Nate's last season as a starter.) He had SEVEN games of 30+ against Thurmond, with a high game of 34 points.

A Prime "scoring" Wilt only faced Nate in around a dozen games. However, in a span of 11 straight games, beginning with their last H2H in the 64-65 season, thru NINE H2H games in the 65-66 season, and into their first game of the 66-67 season, Chamberlain had SIX games of 30+ against Nate...including games in which he outscored Thurmond by margins of 33-17, 33-10, 38-15, and get this... 45-13!