Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Default From guy like Luther Vandross to guys like Trey Songz

How far has the genre fell off. It is truly sad. Are there really no good singers in this generation?

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Default Re: From guy like Luther Vandross to guys like Trey Songz

I like both, but give me Keith Sweat over both of those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    I like both, but give me Keith Sweat over both of those guys.
    You trollin?

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Even if you just go back to the 90's it's pathetic. Blackstreet, Boys 2 Men, Dru Hill, 112? I know those are R&B groups but take ANY singer from any of these groups and pit them against current R&B singers and the current ones get absolutely murdered. Luther Vandross, Al Green, Smokey Robinson, Marvin Gaye etc would make them look even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    Even if you just go back to the 90's it's pathetic. Blackstreet, Boys 2 Men, Dru Hill, 112? I know those are R&B groups but take ANY singer from any of these groups and pit them against current R&B singers and the current ones get absolutely murdered. Luther Vandross, Al Green, Smokey Robinson, Marvin Gaye etc would make them look even worse.
    Yeah. This generation.should ashamed.of.their.singers Just SPA(shit, pure shit)

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    You trollin?

Not a Keith Sweat fan? The guy is very underrated. I like Luther and even Trey Songz a lot, but Sweat has always been my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    Not a Keith Sweat fan? The guy is very underrated. I like Luther and even Trey Songz a lot, but Sweat has always been my favorite.
    I don't really consider Test Songs a r&b singet.

I like Keith Sweat just think he is a few levels apart from Luther.

Back then the R&B guys used to sing about real love. These days it's all about money, cars, hoes.

The problem I've found with R&B is that if you look back, the stars used to be adults. Grown people who had been through things, experienced love, had things to sing about

Now it's all people between 16-21 (at least when they start out) and they got nothing to sing about but sex because they don't know much about real love.

It's kinda like when you have threads on ISH about relationships. Most of the posters here now are 16-20 and all they'll bring up is the sex. You go to the older posters and they talk about the deeper aspects of relationships. It's more of an age thing than a "that era vs. this era" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Low
    The problem I've found with R&B is that if you look back, the stars used to be adults. Grown people who had been through things, experienced love, had things to sing about

Now it's all people between 16-21 (at least when they start out) and they got nothing to sing about but sex because they don't know much about real love.

It's kinda like when you have threads on ISH about relationships. Most of the posters here now are 16-20 and all they'll bring up is the sex. You go to the older posters and they talk about the deeper aspects of relationships. It's more of an age thing than a "that era vs. this era" thing.
    That's true. However, thir are no true vocal talents in this generation. Imo that is the biggest difference...no matter what Trey Songz experiences etc...he ain't no Luther or marvin.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    That's true. However, thir are no true vocal talents in this generation. Imo that is the biggest difference...no matter what Trey Songz experiences etc...he ain't no Luther or marvin.

Video killed the radio star, mate, and then digital music came and spit on its grave. Records don't sell. Someone who just stands there and sings aint gonna make any money, no matter how good they are.

Companies need young, attractive, and trendy in order to get eyeballs on videos. That's how they make money these days chap. It aint from shippin no bloody units, its from ad revenue on MTV, BET, Youtube. It literally don't even matter what the music sounds like. Just so long as there's a cornball guy wearing whatever's trendy, some hot lookin broads and some special affects. The days of fame requiring talent are over, mate. It's 100% about marketing, branding, and bombarding an idiotic public with nonsense. Consumers are dumb, mate. It aint no different than voters. The base of public is made up of losers. You can blame people at the top like record executives, or mitt romney, but you're just making excuses for the fact that 90% of people have no taste, no talent, no brains, no passion, no nothin, they're just flat out bums that aint never take any action for themselves. People could demand better music, sure, but that would mean turning away from what's popular, and they aint got the guts to do it. People could have higher standards and stronger principles than what politicians tell them they should have, but they never do. They pass the buck, the blame the next guy, they cry foul, they claim discrimination, it's always "the system" or "the media" or "the this, that, the other". When is it ever them? When are we ever gonna blame people for the shit they get themselves into, rather than some ambiguous external force like "the corporations" or "wall street".

Glad I aint livin permanently in the United States of America. Or should I say the Divided Cluster[COLOR="Black"]fu[/COLOR]ck of America.

A lot of R7B singers started young. The Jacksons, Prince, James Brown, Stevie wonder, Gaye, ect. All started in either late teens (or pree teen for Jacksons and Stevie) or early 20s.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    A lot of R7B singers started young. The Jacksons, Prince, James Brown, Stevie wonder, Gaye, ect. All started in either late teens (or pree teen for Jacksons and Stevie) or early 20s.

True, mate, but they were discovered because of their talents.

Chaps like Justin Bieber and Chris Brown are 'discovered' as good looking and marketable. Plain and simple.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Not just music but the quality of almost everything has fallen off. Is it just laziness or the dumbing down of society. I love 70's..especially early 70's late 60's R&B. Performers actually really sang and many even played their own instruments. These people were talented. Also songs/lyrics had substance. It was not about sex. Songs were about love, relationships, social issues..real stuff.
    Delfonics
    Stylistics
    OJay's
    Chi-lites
    many more..

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

I agree but disagree.

Singers back then were around the same age for the most part.