Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Local High School Star DirtySanchez's Avatar

Default Re: #38 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

Quote Originally Posted by mariodeathgrip
    Wut Gary payton????????? Rodman ya Gary payton!!! Wow!!!! Sorry guess I always thought he was over rated!!! Lol did love watching him and Kemp play!! They did put on a show for the crowd!!
    Tell me right now who is a better PG defender the Payton was in the last 20 years in the NBA?

Kevin McHale

Talking Re: #38 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

Quote Originally Posted by DirtySanchez
    Tell me right now who is a better PG defender the Payton was in the last 20 years in the NBA?
    The thief!!! Lol
    Last edited by mariodeathgrip; 09-19-2012 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    My problem with Bill Walton is the massive lack of longevity & productions, he accumulated only a total of 6000 points and 4000 rebounds if i remember correctly. But he got the accolades.... MVP, FMVP, 2 championships and Rookie of the Year for example, but he was a 6th man aswell... I am certain he was a great player, but when you look at the paper and see his accolades compared to his productions & longevity you wonder how the hell he got those accolades, unless he was at the right time at the right moment and on the right team against the right competition.

My vote has to be one of those, ill go with KEVIN MCHALE
    The hell are you talking about? He got his first ring and first MVP because he was at his peak and healthy and a really, REALLY good player. You want to argue that he got a second ring for being with the right team at the right time, fine, but that first one had nothing to do with that. For two seasons Bill Walton played at a level that rivals that of the other all-time great centers ranked in the top 10 all-time.

Exclamation Re: #38 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

Dam you!! With a trick question!!!

What about Dolph Schayes here?
    It's getting tougher to rank players at this point, but he has one of the best resumes left, evidently had a great impact (his team made the playoffs 15 out of his 16 years in the league), and both a very good peak, leading his team to a championship, and great longevity at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    Walton's best chance was last round, people took Cowens, a good choice as well, but it seems like we might be on the verge of a 90's and 00's stars run here. I'd be surprised if Thurmond makes it in the top 50 here. That's about where I rank him, but I don't think he'll get that kind of love here.

McHale will go about where he should because once his name gets mentioned a few times, he's popular enough that it'll snow ball.
    there's a good chance you're spot on

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    My problem with Bill Walton is the massive lack of longevity & productions, he accumulated only a total of 6000 points and 4000 rebounds if i remember correctly. But he got the accolades.... MVP, FMVP, 2 championships and Rookie of the Year for example, but he was a 6th man aswell... I am certain he was a great player, but when you look at the paper and see his accolades compared to his productions & longevity you wonder how the hell he got those accolades, unless he was at the right time at the right moment and on the right team against the right competition..... SLAM ranked his career #78 http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=212548

His career is kindof difficult and thoughtprovoking for me to evaluate correctly, unlike Kevin McHale or even Dolph Schayes, they got the better longevity, the better productions and they got the accolades themselves, it feels much more safe.

My vote has to be one of those, ill go with KEVIN MCHALE
    longevity doesn't mean all that much to me personally; I care a lot more about having a player you know can lead you to titles

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    What about Dennis Rodman? He's accomplishd more in the NBA than some top 10 players. I know this is ISH where defense isn't that big of a deal, but damn. There's four aspects of basketball. Scoring, defense, rebounding, and teamplay. Rodman is arguably the best at two of them. What did Kevin Mchale do that should trump Rodman?
    I think he's a top 5 man defender outside (Pistons years) and top 10 post defender (SA/Chicago), but he was never a defensive anchor

he's definitely top 50 and probably the best #3 player in league history, but there are guys who are more valuable defensively

probably true, but I'd counter by asking one to consider how valuable defense from a pg is

U mirin my face?

bill walton

George Gervin
    Last edited by JellyBean; 09-19-2012 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    What about Dolph Schayes here?
    It's getting tougher to rank players at this point, but he has one of the best resumes left, evidently had a great impact (his team made the playoffs 15 out of his 16 years in the league), and both a very good peak, leading his team to a championship, and great longevity at the time.

Dolph should have already been on the list.

High School Varsity 6th Man

Walton

Angry Re: #38 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

Season or play-offs!!!

Did some soul searching!! Since my first game I ever saw was magic Johnson last allstar game!! The thief!! Was my favorite defensive minded guard!! Steal the ball run down hit a three or 15 footer unguarded!! Love that guy!! Season Gary payton was the best!! But in the play-off!! That's when pt guards played d!! Gary played all year!! But play-off!! On and off!! Gary defense in play-off series was average at best!!! Yes I went there!!
    Last edited by mariodeathgrip; 09-19-2012 at 01:32 PM.

McHale

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    What about Dennis Rodman? He's accomplishd more in the NBA than some top 10 players. I know this is ISH where defense isn't that big of a deal, but damn. There's four aspects of basketball. Scoring, defense, rebounding, and teamplay. Rodman is arguably the best at two of them. What did Kevin Mchale do that should trump Rodman?
    Before we put Rodman in, we have to put the 1st option GOATs in first. There's still some on the board.

To me there's a world of difference between someone like Kevin McHale and Rodman. They shouldn't even be in the same zip code.

Jack McCallum of Sports Illustrated put it rather bluntly...
    "The Hall of Fame is not for supporting players."

Not to say that Rodman was simply a "supporting player" but how can Rodman be ahead of McHale and the Glove. It just wouldn't make any sense.

No one is ignoring his contributions as a great rebounder and defender, but we also can't ignore the fact that a player is capable of preserving himself for those facets of the game when he isn't exactly an offensive threat.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Dang, Glove got y'all again just like the last time. At this rate KJ wil get top 50 again.
    Walt Frazier, John Stockton, Steve Nash, and even Allen Iverson have been voted in. It's a travesty Payton still has not been voted. He should be at least in the Top 30 range.