Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default THE GREAT DEBATE: The #3 Greatest Player of All-Time

This thread is solely for nominations for the #3 Greatest Player of All-Time.

Any and all discussion regarding the rules and methodology of these rankings should be posted here: THE GREAT DEBATE: Ranking the Greatest Players of All-Time

Introduction:

One thing has become clear from recent 'greatest player' polls on ISH: the results are heavily influenced by modern fans acting like sheep to vote for their favourite players at the expense of more deserving - but less popular - alternatives. This skews the results in favour of popular and/or modern players.

Something else that I learned was that sometimes I find myself questioning my own judgement after reading a convincing argument written by someone else in favour of a different player.

Indeed, that is why I continue to come back to this forum. Despite the over abundance of childish posters with little knowledge, there is in fact a group of very knowledgeable members whose intelligence and common sense shines through.

All of the above helped me devise an unusual way of ranking players that I am excited about trialling here.

Rules:

- The goal is to establish an intelligently debated list of the greatest players of all-time.

- Each day, ISH members are invited to nominate a player of their choice.

- Your nomination can be as long as you like. However, I recommend keeping it relatively concise and to the point.

- You can only vote for one player per day/round.

- Each day, I will select the winning player based upon the most persuasive and convincing nomination.

- Your nominations might include statistics, quotes, descriptions, explanations and video clips (etc) to help justify your decision.

- If your player isn't selected, you can re-use your nomination the next day, if you wish.

Criteria for selecting players:

- It's completely up to you. NBA, ABA, pre-NBA, NCAA, individual awards, team success, peak, longevity, style, substance... it's up to you.

The Greatest Players of All-Time:

01 - Michael Jordan (nominated by: pauk)
    02 - Bill Russell (nominated by: DatAsh)
    03 -
    04 -
    05 -
    06 -
    07 -
    08 -
    09 -
    10 -
    11 -
    12 -
    13 -
    14 -
    15 -
    16 -
    17 -
    18 -
    19 -
    20 -
    21 -
    22 -
    23 -
    24 -
    25 -

National High School Star funnystuff's Avatar

Default Re: THE GREAT DEBATE: The #3 Greatest Player of All-Time

Kareem

Magic Johnson

- Greatest PG of all time
    - unrivaled passing skills and playmaking
    - as a rookie, he took over the most crucial game in a finals series when their best player went down
    - if russell is the anchor of great defense, magic is the anchor of great offense
    - a true leader and likeable media personality
    - can play all 5 positions effectively

This one's between Kareem, Wilt, and Magic for me

National High School Star

If I were to participate, I would say Magic. I don't get involved in these because it's usually always agenda-driven, and people just whine about why their favorite player isn't ranked by everyone else as highly as they rank them, but I may see if I feel like making a case for Magic purely because Wilt and Kareem already have advocates on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
    If I were to participate, I would say Magic. I don't get involved in these because it's usually always agenda-driven, and people just whine about why their favorite player isn't ranked by everyone else as highly as they rank them, but I may see if I feel like making a case for Magic purely because Wilt and Kareem already have advocates on this board.
    I'd actually really like to see someone make a good case for Magic...my preference is not to rank players, but I he, Russell, and Jordan are fairly inseparable at the top. I think there's an excellent argument out there, but there's some work to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    I'd actually really like to see someone make a good case for Magic...my preference is not to rank players, but I he, Russell, and Jordan are fairly inseparable at the top. I think there's an excellent argument out there, but there's some work to be done.
    I'd actually began writing a case for Magic a while ago because I've seen people say Magic had a case but no one had actually taken the time to go in depth about it, so it was something new rather than the same thing regurgitated over and over again. I find it pointless to repeat things countless others have said countless times. I hadn't intended for anyone other than myself to read it (I just enjoy writing), but I might revise it to post here once I get home.

lol how many "GOAT TOP" threads we gonna have on ISH?

shit is boring

Wilt. One man army. Stat stuffer(What ISH loves the best).

Quote Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
    I'd actually began writing a case for Magic a while ago because I've seen people say Magic had a case but no one had actually taken the time to go in depth about it, so it was something new rather than the same thing regurgitated over and over again. I find it pointless to repeat things countless others have said countless times. I hadn't intended for anyone other than myself to read it (I just enjoy writing), but I might revise it to post here once I get home.
    Ah, well I'd love to read it. In my opinion Magic is the best offensive player in league history (this characterization is purely subjective though), and while this might be an uphill battle (since I believe the majority of people place him clearly behind Wilt/Kareem for whatever reason, plus the whole played-out 'inseparability with Bird' thing), it should enlighten a lot of people. Additionally, new arguments/evidence are always great for the community.

How about Wilt simply because most would agree he was a better player than Russell (while playing at the same time), who is #2?

Or do we need a long post?

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    How about Wilt simply because most would agree he was a better player than Russell (while playing at the same time), who is #2?

I don't know that most would agree...

Personally, I don't have a dog in this race though.

Ah, well I'd love to read it. In my opinion Magic is the best offensive player in league history (this characterization is purely subjective though), and while this might be an uphill battle (since I believe the majority of people place him clearly behind Wilt/Kareem for whatever reason, plus the whole played-out 'inseparability with Bird' thing), it should enlighten a lot of people. Additionally, new arguments/evidence are always great for the community.
    I'll send you what I've written then, and then decide whether or not I wish to post it on the board.

Ah, well I'd love to read it. In my opinion Magic is the best offensive player in league history
    I also share that belief.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine

Most wouldn't agree. Especially those who were alive and watching or participating when they played. That's not opinion either. They had votes and Russell won them.