Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    National High School Star NewYorkNoPicks's Avatar

Default In Retrospect Should The Knicks Have Agreed to the Shaq Trade?

In the 90's several months before Shaq's first free agency period, the Magic were in a panic that they would lose their superstar. Multiple reports around the time had Orlando calling the Knicks front office numerous times prior to the summer about a Shaq for Ewing deal.... the Knicks however, turned them down.

In retrospect, assuming the Knicks agreed to the trade and gave Shaq the same mammoth contract he ended up receiving from L.A., would it have brought New York a title? Assume that NY made the same follow up moves aside from signing Allan Houston, as re-upping Shaq would have them strapped for cash.

so you'd have

1996-97

Ward
    Starks
    Larry Johnson
    Oakley
    Shaq

1997-98

same roster

1998-99

Ward
    Sprewell
    L. Johnson
    Camby/Kurt Thomas
    Shaq

1999-00

same roster

after 01 it went downhill...so lets just consider the above mentioned seasons.

Good High School Starter

Default Re: In Retrospect Should The Knicks Have Agreed to the Shaq Trade?

I thought Shaq was set on going to LA. He thought he was movie material, though sadly Muresan ended up having the better film career.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Gamble
    I thought Shaq was set on going to LA. He thought he was movie material, though sadly Muresan ended up having the better film career.
    L.A. was his first choice, but the deal was on the table for NY to make. I don't think he would have refused to re-sign with NY considering he grew up just across the pond in New Jersey, and NY also has large marketing opportunities just like L.A..

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkNoPicks
    L.A. was his first choice, but the deal was on the table for NY to make. I don't think he would have refused to re-sign with NY considering he grew up just across the pond in New Jersey, and NY also has large marketing opportunities just like L.A..
    wow i thought i was a die hard knicks fan, and this is the FIRST i'm hearing of this rumor.

Quote Originally Posted by Knicksfever2010
    wow i thought i was a die hard knicks fan, and this is the FIRST i'm hearing of this rumor.
    Yeah I was a young kid at the time but I believe it was Pete Vescey who wrote the article that I remember reading...and that was when Pete was actually an authority in the NBA world.

But like most rumors, nobody remembers them. Do you remember when the Sixers wanted to trade Iverson for Sprewell and Houston? See what I mean...

Yeah I was a young kid at the time but I believe it was Pete Vescey who wrote the article that I remember reading...and that was when Pete was actually an authority in the NBA world.

But like most rumors, nobody remembers them. Do you remember when the Sixers wanted to trade Iverson for Sprewell and Houston? See what I mean...
    i gotta be honest with you, i dont think vescey was ever accurate. theres a reason why he has been canned more times than george costanza ;)

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I heard Don Nelson wanted to push hard for Shaq and that pissed Ewing off. I never heard that the magic called about it first.

7-time NBA All-Star

I remember something about the Shaq for Ewing rumor, but there's always speculation surrounding big stars. Don't remember that Iverson rumor, but I remember the Iverson to Detroit and Clippers rumors in 2000, but I can't remember what the proposals were.

Regarding the questions, well, there are too many variables. Do we assume that Shaq plays at the same level he did in LA in NY? If so, then I'd say they win in 2000, but none of the other seasons mentioned, but I do think 2001 would be a possibility as well.

But, things could've changed a lot anyway. For example, Phil Jackson said he went to LA initially to coach Shaq, and Phil also met with the Knicks in '99, iirc, so there's a very good chance that he ends up coaching in NY, though I'm assuming in your scenario that Jeff Van Gundy is still the coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    I heard Don Nelson wanted to push hard for Shaq and that pissed Ewing off. I never heard that the magic called about it first.
    Nelson and Ewing never got along. I believe that Nelson didn't want Ewing to be the first option anymore, didn't think they should have so much invested in a declining superstar and I'm pretty sure that he was critical of Ewing's passing as well, and Ewing was pissed off by these criticisms.
    Last edited by ShaqAttack3234; 07-26-2011 at 01:04 AM.

the knicks would have won it all in 97 if the brawl with miami didnt happen. that was the best knick team of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    I remember something about the Shaq for Ewing rumor, but there's always speculation surrounding big stars. Don't remember that Iverson rumor, but I remember the Iverson to Detroit and Clippers rumors in 2000, but I can't remember what the proposals were.

Regarding the questions, well, there are too many variables. Do we assume that Shaq plays at the same level he did in LA in NY? If so, then I'd say they win in 2000, but none of the other seasons mentioned, but I do think 2001 would be a possibility as well.

But, things could've changed a lot anyway. For example, Phil Jackson said he went to LA initially to coach Shaq, and Phil also met with the Knicks in '99, iirc, so there's a very good chance that he ends up coaching in NY, though I'm assuming in your scenario that Jeff Van Gundy is still the coach.

Nelson and Ewing never got along. I believe that Nelson didn't want Ewing to be the first option anymore, didn't think they should have so much invested in a declining superstar and I'm pretty sure that he was critical of Ewing's passing as well, and Ewing was pissed off by these criticisms.
    remember, nelson wanted mason to be the focal point, and almost be the point guard of the team, and have mason at the top of the key running the offense (smh)

Decent college freshman

well yeah, Shaq is a lot better than Ewing and Ewing was starting to break down at that point.

No.

Shaq at that age with his immaturity would've been a disaster in New York. Espescially when you're considering he'd be replacing Ewing in Ewing's prime.

Ewing still gave us a memorable run later on and although in retrospect it would make sense trading away an aging star for a young star, but I just dont think it would've turned out in a positive way for us.

The Knicks turned down 24 year old Shaq for an aging Ewing...right

That would have been like the Celtics refusing to trade Pierce for LeBron.

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    The Knicks turned down 24 year old Shaq for an aging Ewing...right

That would have been like the Celtics refusing to trade Pierce for LeBron.
    You're probably 16 years old and weren't around for this...so don't comment.

Anyway, Ewing may have had a no trade clause, I remember in 2000 he was able to veto trades. There's probably a bunch of reasons why it didn't happen.

Fact of the matter is though, what do you think is better for the Magic...losing Shaq for NOTHING to you guys, or getting a still Top 10 player for him.

Rumors to do not equate to truth.