Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 68
  1. #31
    College superstar Dragonyeuw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,738

    Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Ultimate Defender

    Quote Originally Posted by Pushxx
    Lol @ kids who say he deserved an MVP.
    In 1994 Pip averaged 22 points, 8.7 rebounds, 5.6 assists,2.9 steals,shot 49% from the floor while leading the Bulls to 55 wins.....without Michael Jordan. Hakeem deserved it that year but that was definitely an MVP-level season from Pip.
    Last edited by Dragonyeuw; 01-11-2013 at 04:44 PM.

  2. #32
    NBA Superstar 97 bulls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    14,243

    Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Ultimate Defender

    Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    MJ is better than Pip, always has always will be.

    Not significantly better, but still better nonetheless.

    And this is while MJ had the bulk of the pressure on him, while being double teamed. Teams prepared for MJ on their offensive side of the end as a defensive ploy all the time. All Pip had to do is give the ball to MJ on offense and then focus on mainly helping out.

    He wasn't the lock down defender ya'll make him out to be. He got killed too many times, specially by stronger players in the post, or quicker players in the perimeter. MJ was better on the perimeter and post, because Mj was quicker on the perimeter and MJ was more strong willed in the post.

    To be fair, MJ got away with more calls, but even without those calls MJ was still better all around defender. Slight edge may go to Pip on the 'help' side due to his length (he could cover 2 spots at the same time, almost unheard of). But MJ was smarter, better athlete, timing, reflexes.
    I shouldnt get into this with you because I know how you feel about Michael Jordan. If he slapped youre mom you'd say it was her fault.

    Saying that, Pippen evolved into being a better defender than Jordan. And as Phil Jacksonn said, he was the Bulls anchor and catalyst on defense. I do agree Jordan was an amazing defender, but Pippen trumps him due to his versatility.

    I also dont think its fair to say Pippen is overrated as a defender because a guy occasionally had a great night againt him. It happens. Just like Jordan, who in my opinion is the greatest scorer ever, has had very bad games on offense. But then again I must look at the source.

  3. #33
    soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    19,115

    Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Ultimate Defender

    Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    I shouldnt get into this with you because I know how you feel about Michael Jordan. If he slapped youre mom you'd say it was her fault.

    Saying that, Pippen evolved into being a better defender than Jordan. And as Phil Jacksonn said, he was the Bulls anchor and catalyst on defense. I do agree Jordan was an amazing defender, but Pippen trumps him due to his versatility.

    I also dont think its fair to say Pippen is overrated as a defender because a guy occasionally had a great night againt him. It happens. Just like Jordan, who in my opinion is the greatest scorer ever, has had very bad games on offense. But then again I must look at the source.
    Whatever you say about me, can be said about you.

    You're a pitiful Pip apologist.

    I and others have love for him and give him props, but you make it a mission to overrate him and place him in categories which he doesn't belong in.

    Aint you the same dope that said he was better than Magic?

    Aint you that same dude that elevates Pip's rankings based on ONE season?

    Aint you the same cat that dispels every and all comments made by Pip (himself), coaches, teammates, opponents when they say MJ basically molded Pip into the player that he is? these are on record by multiple people, both directly and indirectly.


    Aint you the same buffoon that insinuated that he was better than Bird?

    Yet I'm the one that shouldn't be taken serious here?


  4. #34
    Kropotkin stan RRR3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anarchocommunism is the answer
    Posts
    33,909

    Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Ultimate Defender

    Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    Kobe and Wade were (and ARE) infinitely better scorers, but Pip was THE best perimeter defender in '94 and a superior playmaker / rebounder. Took his team deeper into the postseason vs. BETTER competition too.
    T-Mac wasn't an infinitely better scorer?

  5. #35
    Samurai Swoosh
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago's Finest
    Posts
    2,396

    Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Ultimate Defender

    Pippen is a more versatile defender due to his size and length. So I get why some prefer him given that advantage. But it doesn't make him a better defender.

    Jordan was absolutely the better defender in terms of skill, man defense, help defense, instincts etc. The coaching staff for the Bulls has commented on this before. MJ guided Pip to be the defender he eventually became. He followed Jordan's lead.

  6. #36
    NBA Superstar 97 bulls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    14,243

    Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Ultimate Defender

    Quote Originally Posted by Money 23
    Pippen is a more versatile defender due to his size and length. So I get why some prefer him given that advantage. But it doesn't make him a better defender.

    Jordan was absolutely the better defender in terms of skill, man defense, help defense, instincts etc. The coaching staff for the Bulls has commented on this before. MJ guided Pip to be the defender he eventually became. He followed Jordan's lead.
    Thats funny, be cause Phil Jackson, the Bulls coach, called Pippen the Bulls defensive leader. I remember in an interview John Bach saying Jordan was better during the first threepeat only because he talked more trash. And I believe Tex Winter said Pippen was better. Which coaches are you talking about? Doug Collins?

    And what makes Jordan a better defender skill-wise? Or instincts, or man? And Pippen was head ans shoulders betted than Jordan on help. But then again, look at the source, another Jordan fan

  7. #37
    soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    19,115

    Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Ultimate Defender

    Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    Thats funny, be cause Phil Jackson, the Bulls coach, called Pippen the Bulls defensive leader. I remember in an interview John Bach saying Jordan was better during the first threepeat only because he talked more trash. And I believe Tex Winter said Pippen was better. Which coaches are you talking about? Doug Collins?

    And what makes Jordan a better defender skill-wise? Or instincts, or man? And Pippen was head ans shoulders betted than Jordan on help. But then again, look at the source, another Jordan fan
    As clearly shown with his steals and block numbers correct?

  8. #38
    NBA Superstar 97 bulls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    14,243

    Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Ultimate Defender

    Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    As clearly shown with his steals and block numbers correct?
    Im talking about double teams, trapping, etc.

  9. #39
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    29,855

    Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Ultimate Defender

    Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    Thats funny, be cause Phil Jackson, the Bulls coach, called Pippen the Bulls defensive leader. I remember in an interview John Bach saying Jordan was better during the first threepeat only because he talked more trash. And I believe Tex Winter said Pippen was better. Which coaches are you talking about? Doug Collins?

    And what makes Jordan a better defender skill-wise? Or instincts, or man? And Pippen was head ans shoulders betted than Jordan on help. But then again, look at the source, another Jordan fan
    The bulls went from d-ratings of 19, 11, 7, 4, 7 under MJs reign as the top defender to..

    6, 2, 1, 4, 3 after 1994 when Pippen took over the defensive reigns.

    I don't get how Jordan stans can even argue that Jordan was a better defensive anchor. It's not even close.

  10. #40
    soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    19,115

    Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Ultimate Defender

    Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    Im talking about double teams, trapping, etc.
    Even at that, you sound ridiculous and obviously grasping at straws there.

    Not sure who's better at double teaming ( ) but it sure as hell closer than what you keep suggesting.

    Again, you keep overrating Pip, making him appear Godlier than what he is. You'd have a legit argument if you simply said "He's slightly better" or "he might be a better helper" but "HEAD AND SHOULDERS"?

  11. #41
    NBA Superstar 97 bulls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    14,243

    Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Ultimate Defender

    Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Even at that, you sound ridiculous and obviously grasping at straws there.

    Not sure who's better at double teaming ( ) but it sure as hell closer than what you keep suggesting.

    Again, you keep overrating Pip, making him appear Godlier than what he is. You'd have a legit argument if you simply said "He's slightly better" or "he might be a better helper" but "HEAD AND SHOULDERS"?
    As an all-around defender? Yes I feel Pippen is head shoulders above Jordan as a defender. The only part of defense id give to Jordan is man defense. And thats slight. Pippens defensive impact is on level with that of a center. Check out the Bulls in 95.

    Tpols brought up a great point. In the mid 80s, Jordan was never able to muster a team to the level of defense Pippen was. Jordan was an amazing man defender. He was outstanding at playing passing lanes, and blocking shots from the weak side. Pippen was just about equally as good, and he was better at trapping, full court pressing, chase down blocks, drawing charges, help, low post, and being able to cover more positions.

  12. #42
    soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    19,115

    Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Ultimate Defender

    Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    As an all-around defender? Yes I feel Pippen is head shoulders above Jordan as a defender.

  13. #43
    NBA Superstar 97 bulls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    14,243

    Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Ultimate Defender

    Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    If thats the best response you have then this debate is over.

  14. #44
    NBA Legend kuniva_dAMiGhTy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    17,003

    Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Ultimate Defender

    Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    T-Mac wasn't an infinitely better scorer?


    TMac as well

  15. #45
    It is what it is TheMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    15,796

    Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Ultimate Defender

    Pippen was the Bulls best defender in the second threepeat.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •