Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    College star

Default Re: Was Kobe A Top 3 Player From 2000-12

Quote Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
    Kobe wasn't (considered) top 3 in 00-01 already. Shaq was inarguably better, so was Duncan. Webber put up 27/11/4. Garnett was climbing the ranks. Iverson lead his team to the finals that year and won MVP. Vince Carter was phenomenal that year too, and so was JKidd. So there is a case for him not even being top 5. Kobe actually only finished 9th in MVP voting that year.

01-02? You again had Shaq and Duncan, also Kidd who was just barely etched out by Duncan for MVP and led his team to the finals. He was battling with TMac and KG for #4 that year IMO.

I know that in hindsight things can look different, but you just can't dismiss that guys like Kidd, Webber, TMac, and Iverson were in their primes those years while Kobe was just beginning to enter his. Also, and I know this is a dead horse, those guys lead their teams (TMac less gloriously than the others).
    I don't think it's dismissing. Kobe was clearly the best at his position that year, and produced at an enormously high level en route to a championship. He was a better defender than TMac, Iverson, and Webber in 2001, and was a vastly better scorer than Kidd in 2001. The "leading teams" sentiment is a pragmatic approach to the dynamics of that 2001 Laker team in particular, since it was the perfect example of a 1A, 1B tandem in LA. Kobe and Shaq wrecked havok on the league without much help (nor did they need it, at least in the latter part of the season/beginning of the post-season).

29, 6, 5, and 2 is nothing to scoff at. Outside of Shaq and Duncan, the only player I'd consider taking over Kobe in 2001 is Webber. And, that is a modest and debatable consideration, after watching Kobe murder the Kings in that year's Western Conference Semis, to a tune of 35 PPG, 9 RPG, AND 4 APG on 47% shooting. at 22 years old

Oh, and did you really mention Vince Carter in the same breath as Shaq, Duncan, and Webber?

Banned

Kobe was clearly top 3. Easily.

I think he was overshadowed by Shaq. Take Shaq off that team and imagine the sick numbers he would be averaging. Those are MVP numbers. To do that and have a teammate put up that much is pretty sick.

Easily top 3.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BlackVVaves
    I don't think it's dismissing. Kobe was clearly the best at his position that year, and produced at an enormously high level en route to a championship. He was a better defender than TMac, Iverson, and Webber in 2001, and was a vastly better scorer than Kidd in 2001. The "leading teams" sentiment is a pragmatic approach to the dynamics of that 2001 Laker team in particular, since it was the perfect example of a 1A, 1B tandem in LA. Kobe and Shaq wrecked havok on the league without much help (nor did they need it, at least in the latter part of the season/beginning of the post-season).

29, 6, 5, and 2 is nothing to scoff at. Outside of Shaq and Duncan, the only player I'd consider taking over Kobe in 2001 is Webber. And, that is a modest and debatable consideration, after watching Kobe murder the Kings in that year's Western Conference Semis, to a tune of 35 PPG, 9 RPG, AND 4 APG on 47% shooting. at 22 years old

Oh, and did you really mention Vince Carter in the same breath as Shaq, Duncan, and Webber?
    Good analysis.

WTF kind of thread is this?

Kobe is easily the best player of that 2000-2012 era.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    WTF kind of thread is this?

Kobe is easily the best player of that 2000-2012 era.
    Basically this.

No.

Great college starter

Kobe wouldn't even be drafted top 20 in an all time draft.