Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Decent college freshman

Default Re: Microsoft Surface Ad: Apple, You Got Served

Anyone recommend the Surface?

I'm looking for something I can surf the internet, watch videos, and do homework on (I take online and campus classes). So basically I need programs like Microsoft Word.

I just heard about this yesturday and I have been thinking of getting either the Nexus 7 or the I-Pad. My parents have both Apple and the Kindle Fire tablets and I feel Apple isn't that much better than the Nexus and the Fire is actually a pretty decent tablet.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Nexus 7 but the Surface also has my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by hoopaddict08
    Anyone recommend the Surface?

I'm looking for something I can surf the internet, watch videos, and do homework on (I take online and campus classes). So basically I need programs like Microsoft Word.

I just heard about this yesturday and I have been thinking of getting either the Nexus 7 or the I-Pad. My parents have both Apple and the Kindle Fire tablets and I feel Apple isn't that much better than the Nexus and the Fire is actually a pretty decent tablet.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Nexus 7 but the Surface also has my attention.
    You have to pick your poison. The iPad is amazing for videos, and you do have the option of downloading a Google search app if you don't want to use Safari. However, typing on it is kind of a pain in the ass, and the Pages app is decent at best. Surface comes with Word and the keyboard is much more user-friendly for doing school work, but you're stuck with Explorer and video playback is kind of "eh."

The Real Surface is coming out Feb. 9, BE READY!

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/su...medium=twitter

Guess what,Microsoft is including the Type cover with the tablet!!

64 GB for 899.00
    128 GB for 999.00

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME

64 GB for 899.00
    128 GB for 999.00
    ****ers.

They lost me, I bought the Sony Vaio Duo 11, 1 1/2 months ago because I was sick of waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by embersyc
    ****ers.

They lost me, I bought the Sony Vaio Duo 11, 1 1/2 months ago because I was sick of waiting.

That sucks. But, I've heard really good things about that as well.

That sucks. But, I've heard really good things about that as well.
    I have no complaints with it, in fact it's probably the best computer I've ever owned, and this from a guy building his own PCs the past 20 years. It looks I have more ram than the Surface anyways.

Edit: well I guess I do have one complaint, if you Skype with it in "laptop mode" the camera is pointed at the ceiling, but I'm sure the Surface probably has the same problem.
    Last edited by embersyc; 01-22-2013 at 02:15 PM.

64 GB for 899.00
    128 GB for 999.00
    Agreed with ember. Waited too long, and still costs way too ****ing much. Which is a damn shame because the windows 8 tablets I played with at best buy we're terrific. But I'm not paying 500+ for a tablet that may or may not get updated down the road, and more importantly...when I can(and did) get an ipad for 400

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    Agreed with ember. Waited too long, and still costs way too ****ing much. Which is a damn shame because the windows 8 tablets I played with at best buy we're terrific. But I'm not paying 500+ for a tablet that may or may not get updated down the road, and more importantly...when I can(and did) get an ipad for 400
    Its not really in competition with an ipad tho. For me it was this or the Macbook Air. I am still not sure though. Kinda still leaning Air.

Its not really in competition with an ipad tho. For me it was this or the Macbook Air. I am still not sure though. Kinda still leaning Air.
    Tablets aren't ready to replace pcs though. That's why I think you have to price it competitively. In 5 years? Definitely will be ready to replace. For basic stuff you can do it on a tablet. Just my opinion

With that said though I see why you think it's not designed to compete with iPads.

I don't think you did agree with me. I bought a $1200 tablet because I was sick of waiting.

Tablets aren't ready to replace pcs though. That's why I think you have to price it competitively. In 5 years? Definitely will be ready to replace. For basic stuff you can do it on a tablet. Just my opinion

With that said though I see why you think it's not designed to compete with iPads.
    No, Tablets are ready to replace PCs. That Sony Vaio Duo 11 and Microsoft Surface Pro both will beast on any desktop PC that isn't running a SSD. They run full versions of Windows that you can run any Windows 7 or XP program in.
    Last edited by embersyc; 01-22-2013 at 04:01 PM.

No, Tablets are ready to replace PCs. That Sony Vaio Duo 11 and Microsoft Surface Pro both will beast on any desktop PC that isn't running a SSD. They run full versions of Windows that you can run any Windows 7 or XP program in.
    Can you install things from disc though, like software for classes? Obviously I know you'd need to borrow a pc's disc drive to do it...but yeah.

If so.

I was referring to them waiting to long to release the version that I would want. And that made me go somewhere else. The price thing was my own.

the mba sucks, i have it and i hate it.

Can you install things from disc though, like software for classes? Obviously I know you'd need to borrow a pc's disc drive to do it...but yeah.

If so.

I was referring to them waiting to long to release the version that I would want. And that made me go somewhere else. The price thing was my own.
    Gotcha,

As far as installing from disc, obviously these things are ultrabooks so they don't have disc drives, but I'm certain somebody out there makes an external USB disc drive if you are worried about it.

Gotcha,

As far as installing from disc, obviously these things are ultrabooks so they don't have disc drives, but I'm certain somebody out there makes an external USB disc drive if you are worried about it.
    you can always mount an iso to a usb..something an ipad cant do

Quote Originally Posted by rezznor
    the mba sucks, i have it and i hate it.
    wow, never heard anyone say that about the air. what is so bad about it?