Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Default Re: Melo is looking like an MVP candidate folks..

Quote Originally Posted by Suckafree
    This is so wrong
    This post isn't even an argument.

Local High School Star The Ownage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    We may have seen that with Rose depending on how each person's PG ranking was the year that he won it.

But yeah Melo would have to elevate his game and show consistency to be put in with the Lebron/Durant MVP discussions.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Ownage
    We may have seen that with Rose depending on how each person's PG ranking was the year that he won it.

But yeah Melo would have to elevate his game and show consistency to be put in with the Lebron/Durant MVP discussions.
    Different people may not have thought he was the best but as a first-team All-NBA Guard with no other PG on the first team he was the consensus top pg.

Banned

Melo doesn't have enough media on his side.

MVP my ass.

Dunking on everybody in the park Suckafree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    95 MVP race. D-Rob won, Shaq 2nd, Ewing 4th, Hakeem 5th.
    Now I'm not saying all these guys were better than D-rob at the time. But going into the start of the 94-95 season, it definitely would not be unreasonable to say D-rob was the third best C.

1998-1999 (Malones MVP year). C-Webb, Duncan, maybe even KG could have all been argued above Malone.

Again, going into the 07-08 year (Kobes MVP season). Although a little more of a stretch than the previous examples, but there are people that would have argued T-Mac and D-Wade > Kobe before the season began.

Edit: not a melo fan btw
    Last edited by Suckafree; 10-17-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Maeru Perinawa Achali TaLvsCuaL's Avatar

It's hard to envision anyone other than Lebron or Durant winning it, and even if they both were to die in a plane crash, I don't see Melo sniffing an MVP award. IF Blake Griffin were to make some huge strides on his defense, jump shot, and free throw shooting, I could see him making some noise since he's such an exciting player and his team should be elite.

Again, going into the 07-08 year (Kobes MVP season). Although a little more of a stretch than the previous examples, but there are people that would have argued T-Mac and D-Wade > Kobe before the season began.

nobody thought that t-mac was better than kobe heading into that season

95 MVP race. D-Rob won, Shaq 2nd, Ewing 4th, Hakeem 5th.
    Now I'm not saying all these guys were better than D-rob at the time. But going into the start of the 94-95 season, it definitely would not be unreasonable to say D-rob was the third best C.

1998-1999 (Malones MVP year). C-Webb, Duncan, maybe even KG could have all been argued above Malone.

Edit: not a melo fan btw

I hear what you're saying, but you must use better examples. #1, T-Mac was not the same T-Mac, Wade came off an injury, and Kobe was already considered the best player on the planet.

95...you could not argue Patrick over Robinson going into the season. And you could not argue Shaq over Robinson going into the season, unless someone attempted to project. Shaq had been in the league 2 years and while his numbers were gaudy in 94, so were Robinson's, who was clearly the better player.

Rose is a good argument, because he simply was not top 4 going into the season. He wasn't yet ahead of Tony Parker either. The only argument he could have over Paul was that Paul was injured that year. Still, no real argument.

The best argument tho is Steve Nash. Nash was not better than Jason Kidd. With Billups winning Finals MVP, you could argue he was behind him. But for sure, you couldn't argue that he was as good as Kidd. And Nash, like Melo, had already been in the league a long time (Nash 8 years, Melo 9).

Edit: Mourning was almost that argument.. In his case, Ewing and Hakeem were both coming off injuries. But he was still behind both, as well as Shaq and Robinson.

Quote Originally Posted by chips93

nobody thought that t-mac was better than kobe heading into that season

Quote Originally Posted by lilgodfather1
    LOL I agree with you. 9/10 seasons Rose wasn't winning the MVP with the season he put up (which was very good, but not great), but the league had a down year in terms of MVP candidates.

Firstly Kobe's team just wasn't good enough, and his stats were kind of "regular" by his standards.

Secondly Dwight Howard who would have won MVP if he had been on a better team simply was just on a bad team.

Durant wasn't ready, and the Thunder weren't good enough.

Lastly the media was not giving the MVP award to any member of the Miami Heat after their 2010 stunt. Fans were angry, and it wasn't a good story to sell.

The media voting is more about story than deserving. It was a great story for LeBron to go from hated to hero, immature to humble, etc just like it was a great story for DRose to lead the underdog Bulls to the best record in the league, and become the heir to Jordan's throne.

Not hating on Rose with this post at all, but it's pretty clear that while he was the most deserving of the MVP in 2011, in just about any other year he wouldn't have won it. Doesn't change that he is the youngest MVP in history, and it doesn't change that he is a very good HOF caliber player.
    Excellent post.

Michael Jordan of ISH

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    I know you're not serious

McGrady
    06: 24.4/6.5/4.8 49.4 TS%
    07: 24.6/5.3/6.4 51.5 TS%

Kobe
    06: 35.4/5.3/4.5 55.9 TS%
    07: 31.6/5.7/5.4 58.0 TS%

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

As in years past, he's a top 15 caliber player, but definitely outside of the 6-7 names who will be discussed most frequently for the mvp award. My prediction:

Lebron
    Durant
    Dwight

I feel like Durant will have a down year and GOATbrook will win it.....
    But that said, I can see melo being a top 10 player but not an MVP candidate.