Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Melo is looking like an MVP candidate folks..

Melo's problem has always been consistency. It's crazy that he's never lead the league in scoring he should be a consistent 30 10 guy. Only way he gets MVP is if Knicks have a top 4 record and he puts up some insane stats, then again Amare was getting MVP consideration for leading the Knicks to a 6th seed in the East. Go figure

I think Melo can be one of the best, but he'll not win a MVP unless the Knicks go ape shit.

-Smak

He should be averaging 30 and 10? Give him the award every year.

Local High School Star kenny817's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    1: The preseason is officially too early to discuss the MVP award.

2: You are not an MVP candidate if you are only the third-best player at your position.
    Rondo?

You're an idiot

Utryin2getthepipe? SevereUpInHere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    Melo's problem has always been consistency. It's crazy that he's never lead the league in scoring he should be a consistent 30 10 guy. Only way he gets MVP is if Knicks have a top 4 record and he puts up some insane stats, then again Amare was getting MVP consideration for leading the Knicks to a 6th seed in the East. Go figure
    Come on man, unrealistic expectations. Who has ever averaged 30&10?

I expect him to score more than last season, I'd expect him to be back around 26 again.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kenny817
    Rondo?

You're an idiot
    Who said anything about Rondo, idiot?

30 PPG & 10 RPG?

Huh?

Dunking on everybody in the park

He has a shot...

lets say 30 pts... on 48% shooting... with 7 boards and 4 asists... and the Knicks win 55 games, would you complain if Carmelo Anthony was given the MVP with that stat sheet? because those are very possible numbers for him.

National High School Star NewYorkNoPicks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheFan
    He has a shot...

lets say 30 pts... on 48% shooting... with 7 boards and 4 asists... and the Knicks win 55 games, would you complain if Carmelo Anthony was given the MVP with that stat sheet? because those are very possible numbers for him.
    He CAN do that but i think those years are over for him by choice. He stated this summer he no longer wants to score 30 or 40 points to lead the team to a win, he's done with the numbers game all he wants is to win.

I predict: 24.5ppg 6.3rpg 3.0apg 1spg

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by kNIOKAS
    At this point you're making Paul Pierce look bad IMO. He has the work ethic and the character which is exactly the factor that separates him from the likes of Carmelo.
    Sorry you're quite right! PP34 is one of my favourite players.

Why I said Melo's best ceiling is PP32 is:

1. Scoring. Both excellent scorers, relying on jukes, fakes and bully ball.
    2. Both post up very well.
    3. Both rebound very well.
    4. Both can pass and play defense, but PP34 much better at both those categories. Maybe Melo can improve.
    5. Both look out of shape at times, but Paul has actually had a great career and consistency in all his seasons.

Yeah, I agree with the consistency bit.Melo has always had the game to be MVP.I've just never seen him play like that for a full season.Who knows maybe this is the year he will put it all together but he will have to lead the Knicks to the top 2-3 best records for the season.

I'm a bit worried with all this talk of him not caring about stats.

Carmelo is a scorer. That's his game. He's not going to help the Knicks without being a great scorer. If his overall stats are down, because we run some tight offense (always think of the way the Blazers have traditionally spread the wealth), that's one thing.

But he better be a scorer. Otherwise, why did we trade half our team and pay him $100Million?

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    http://knicksnow.com/videos/1776/kni...-celtics-in-ot

Wow............he and the Knicks look sharp and in shape in those highlights. Look at the ball movement. Bringing in all those vets could be working.

One of the most overrated players from the last 5-7 years.

i like the knicks pick and roll game. if anything, felton is back in shape and he wont allow rondo to dominate the knicks as he used to... with his 18-18-21 type triple double games

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by SevereUpInHere
    Come on man, unrealistic expectations. Who has ever averaged 30&10?

I expect him to score more than last season, I'd expect him to be back around 26 again.
    No its not unrealistic. Its not like Melo's an undersized SF. He's a big guy that can get minutes at the 4 and plays with Amare who's a horrible rebounder. I'm not saying that he has to be 30 and 10 to be mvp but that's the high regard that I have for Melo. He has the 2nd best scoring skillset after Kobe there's no reason he can't crack 30 points other than focus and dedication. If all Melo had to do was score and rebound I think he could do. Even if you don't agree with the 30 and 10 numbers I just used it as an example to show that he can be so much better than he's shown thus far.