Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Made that high school varsity squad LA Lakers's Avatar

Default Rockets/Bulls Finals 94 and 95

Too me, my biggest regret for basketball in the 90s right behind Magic retiring early because of HIV, was Hakeem and Jordan not meeting in the Finals. Hakeem The Dream, in my humble opinion, is the greatest center of the last 25 years. He was waiting for Jordan(twice) while MJ was off playing minor league baseball(not well). So my question, if MJs Bulls and Hakeems Rockets met in 94 and 95, who you got and why?

Samurai Swoosh

Default Re: Rockets/Bulls Finals 94 and 95

Was just going to make this thread. Good looking out.

Why did the other Kobe instead of MJ on Bulls thread get deleted? I made a post responding to you there.

Either way, it would've been a very fun series ... both years.

I think the Bulls win in '94. If the Knicks almost won in '94 with Starks playing terrible, I don't see MJ having a bad finals in his prime. Plus Vernon Maxwell would be guarding him, and Vernon always tried to start stuff with Jordan cause he was crazy ... and MJ is a beast when mad.

The Rockets win in '95. The addition of Drexler not far from his prime to the Rockets and subtraction of Horace Grant is too much to overcome. Otis Thorpe and Robert Horry would have FIELD days at the PF position, what with all the attention being placed on Hakeem and no legit power or swing 4 to guard Thorpe or Horry.

Another great regret is the Bulls being broken up early. I would've loved to have seen Jordan's Bulls v.s. Robinson / Duncan's Spurs in 1999. If the Bulls would've paid Scottie and Phil, added some younger athletes around MJ / Pip / and Rodman ... I think it would be a great series with SA front court dominance, and Chicago's perimeter dominance.

I also think the Bulls could've competed or won in 2000 v.s. the Lakers. And would've loved to see the re-match in 2001, where given Kobe's ridiculous improvement ... LA would've dethroned the Bulls. The torch would be passed from one dynasty to another, and from MJ to Kobe.

Part of the reason the 90's Bulls retain such mystique is because we never saw them dethroned or defeated. Crumbs and Reinsjew beat themselves.

Still can't blame them for '94 and '95. MJ and his damn depression / sabbatical.

=/

Quote Originally Posted by Money 23
    Was just going to make this thread. Good looking out.

Why did the other Kobe instead of MJ on Bulls thread get deleted? I made a post responding to you there.

Either way, it would've been a very fun series ... both years.

I think the Bulls win in '94. If the Knicks almost won in '94 with Starks playing terrible, I don't see MJ having a bad finals in his prime. Plus Vernon Maxwell would be guarding him, and Vernon always tried to start stuff with Jordan cause he was crazy ... and MJ is a beast when mad.

The Rockets win in '95. The addition of Drexler not far from his prime to the Rockets and subtraction of Horace Grant is too much to overcome. Otis Thorpe and Robert Horry would have FIELD days at the PF position, what with all the attention being placed on Hakeem and no legit power or swing 4 to guard Thorpe or Horry.

Another great regret is the Bulls being broken up early. I would've loved to have seen Jordan's Bulls v.s. Robinson / Duncan's Spurs in 1999. If the Bulls would've paid Scottie and Phil, added some younger athletes around MJ / Pip / and Rodman ... I think it would be a great series with SA front court dominance, and Chicago's perimeter dominance.

I also think the Bulls could've competed or won in 2000 v.s. the Lakers. And would've loved to see the re-match in 2001, where given Kobe's ridiculous improvement ... LA would've dethroned the Bulls. The torch would be passed from one dynasty to another, and from MJ to Kobe.

Part of the reason the 90's Bulls retain such mystique is because we never saw them dethroned or defeated. Crumbs and Reinsjew beat themselves.

Still can't blame them for '94 and '95. MJ and his damn depression / sabbatical.

=/
    Word. Im still saying its a tough to call this "what if". But I feel you on 95. Acquistion of Clyde plus you guys aint stopping(assuming youre a Bull/Chicago native) Hakeem or OT with Longley and Perdue. Now, if yall had acquired Rodman... Different story. But great response. You took the words outta my mouth... This would change the whole legacy of 90s basketball. And maybe Hakeem gets a little more love...

I can see The Bulls having some tired legs in 1995

other than that...

..you know

Bulls win in 94, Rockets weren't going to be stopped in 95

I agree with Money. The Bulls win handedly in 94. And we honestly already know how they'd fair in 95. Even if Jordan wasn't rusty, I don't see them even getting past Orlando.

I do feel theybeat San Antonio in 99. Its also too bad the Bulls couldn't have kept Brian Williams. His 17/9 ability would've really helped them going forward even after Jordan and Pippen. The Bulls never had a guy, a big that good. That's why I feel the 97 Bulls was the Bulls dynasties best single season team.and best team ever

Quote Originally Posted by fsvr54
    Bulls win in 94, Rockets weren't going to be stopped in 95
    thats what i was thinking

The Bulls with Kokoc would be even better than they were in 93.

The Rockets in 1995 were truly amazing.

but whatever. I was was living in Texas when to Rockets were winning those titles in 94 and 95 i would be satisfied either way somehow.

Thorpe was traded for Drexler, so the Rockets would not have had both in 95.

Samurai Swoosh

Also ...

The Chicago Bulls of 1994 would've been not only the best Bulls team ever, but one of the top five teams of all-time.

BJ was coming into his own, had his beast season ever. The addition of Kukoc. Horace Grant in a major contract year. Pippen at his absolute peak of abilities (physical + skill), and one of the last few years of MJ's prime (not far from peak) ... and of course, assuming we still sign the BEAST that was Pete Myers to relive MJ off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    Thorpe was traded for Drexler, so the Rockets would not have had both in 95.
    Oops, my fault. I forgot. Either way we still don't have a stretch 4 to cover Robert Horry.

Forget Horry. Pip/MJ/Harper can rotate and switch multiple coverage. Also, a lot to ask with Glyde moving the ball and Horry open on the perimeter. Who is guarding Dream? Can you risk man to man with Longley on Hakeem? I think this might be an interesting outcome... And OT in 94 gives yall problems as well.

Also ...

The Chicago Bulls of 1994 would've been not only the best Bulls team ever, but one of the top five teams of all-time.

BJ was coming into his own, had his beast season ever. The addition of Kukoc. Horace Grant in a major contract year. Pippen at his absolute peak of abilities (physical + skill), and one of the last few years of MJ's prime (not far from peak) ... and of course, assuming we still sign the BEAST that was Pete Myers to relive MJ off the bench.

Oops, my fault. I forgot. Either way we still don't have a stretch 4 to cover Robert Horry.
    right

Grant was playing with Shaq in Orlando in 1995 and Rodman was still in San Antonio.

Hakeem would have averaged like 37ppg if the Bulls and Rockets would have met in the Finals in 1995

Samurai Swoosh

Quote Originally Posted by LA Lakers
    Forget Horry. Pip/MJ/Harper can rotate and switch multiple coverage. Also, a lot to ask with Glyde moving the ball and Horry open on the perimeter. Who is guarding Dream? Can you risk man to man with Longley on Hakeem? I think this might be an interesting outcome... And OT in 94 gives yall problems as well.
    Ugh. They create such a scary matchup problem for us.

Rodman given his defensive versatility and quickness would actually probably do a better job on Hakeem, than he even did on Shaq in '96. Which he did a great job.

But yea you're right. We wouldn't have Rodman in '94. Dream would absolutely go ape shit on Luc Longely.

I still think the Bulls win in '94. The Rockets would have such a difficult time getting the ball into Hakeem. MJ and Pip ... one in his prime, the other at his peak is a very difficult thing to handle.

It's an interesting hypothetical. God, I wish this series would've happened.

What are your thoughts on the Bulls v.s. Spurs in 1999?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsmoke
    Hakeem would have averaged like 37ppg if the Bulls and Rockets would have met in the Finals in 1995
    I'm talking about '94 Bulls. Either way Hakeem is going BONKERS on Luc Longely.

But in '94 you have Grant w/ help defense. He played extremely well that year, and as I said was in a contract season and he clearly wanted out of Chicago ... so he was going to ball.

MJ in his prime, two years removed from peak. No more need be said.

Pippen at his absolute peak. Peak athleticism, durability, and peaking from a skills perspective. Wreak defensive havoc.

What are Kenny Smith, and Vernon Maxwell going to do when the DOBERMANS are hounding them up the court. I mean once Hakeem gets the ball he's going to sodomize Will Perdue, but he has to GET the ball from a guard first.

And like I also mentioned, BJ was no slouch that year either.

I'm talking about '94. Either way Hakeem is going BONKERS on Luc Longely.

But in '94 you have Grant w/ help defense. He played extremely well that year, and as I said was in a contract season and he clearly wanted out of Chicago ... so he was going to ball.

MJ in his prime, two years removed from peak. No more need be said.

Pippen at his absolute peak. Peak athleticism, durability, and peaking from a skills perspective. Wreak defensive havoc.

What are Kenny Smith, and Vernon Maxwell going to do when the DOBERMANS are hounding them up the court. I mean once Hakeem gets the ball he's going to sodomize Will Perdue, but he has to GET the ball from a guard first.

And like I also mentioned, BJ was no slouch that year either.

well yeah i wasn't being sarcastic when i said "right". i said early that the Bulls would be even better with Jordan in 1994 they were they in 1993

no doubt about that

Honestly not to simplify 99 Spurs/Bulls what if, it is a TEAM game, but in my opinion it depends on how healthy and ready to go Scottie is... Seemed like 98 it was pretty much all Jordan and Jordan alone against the entire Utah Jazz...

Samurai Swoosh

Quote Originally Posted by LA Lakers
    Honestly not to simplify 99 Spurs/Bulls what if, it is a TEAM game, but in my opinion it depends on how healthy and ready to go Scottie is... Seemed like 98 it was pretty much all Jordan and Jordan alone against the entire Utah Jazz...
    Basically, yea

To be honest it was like that the entire season and playoffs.

Pippen's biggest stamp came in his defense of Mark Jackson the first couple games of the ECF. Besides that, 1998 was all old man MJ's will beating teams.

Oh, and Kukoc's hot shooting in game 7 v.s. Indiana. But I agree.

Pippen had some nice performances in the playoffs of 1999 for the Rockets, so I'm going to assume he'd be healthy enough to make a difference. Really though, Pippen was a beast in the '96 regular season but he was never as impactful as people make him out to be. He had a rash of injuries from the '96 post season until the end of the '98 season.