Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Cuba

Default Re: Scaled Images of Wilt/Dwight/McGee etc wingspans and height w/o shoes:

Quote Originally Posted by GucciBandana
    scaling basketball is a nice way of comparing wingspan, but still, sometimes depends on the player's posture, he might be holding the basketballs a little closer or farther away from the camera, causing source of errors

Don't even bother with Cavs, look at how dishonest he is in his approach, he's using a picture of Dwight from the Lakers in his last scaled image, why? Because Dwight was the tallest player on Team USA when he was standing right next to Chris Bosh, yet the picture he put in place has him shorter than Bosh. Even though we have a picture of them standing with each other.

He doesn't even believe Dwight could have grown an inch after the draft, despite the fact the Magic have it in writing that he did.

Saw a basketball once GucciBandana's Avatar

Default Re: Scaled Images of Wilt/Dwight/McGee etc wingspans and height w/o shoes:

Quote Originally Posted by abuC
    Don't even bother with Cavs, look at how dishonest he is in his approach, he's using a picture of Dwight from the Lakers in his last scaled image, why? Because Dwight was the tallest player on Team USA when he was standing right next to Chris Bosh, yet the picture he put in place has him shorter than Bosh. Even though we have a picture of them standing with each other.

He doesn't even believe Dwight could have grown an inch after the draft, despite the fact the Magic have it in writing that he did.
    yea I thought this was a really interesting topic, then when I saw he cut off Dwight's pic jus to put a new one to make him shorter, I LOLed.

I think Dwight is around the same height as most 6'11" NBA players listed.

Quote Originally Posted by DStebb716
    Well that looks like a contradiction if I've ever seen one
    Dwight has nothing in his head.

Quote Originally Posted by abuC

Gee I can't do anything to get by your supreme intellect abuC your so smart u got me all figured out. My intent was nothing but malicious lies and deceit

Now in an alternate explanation (abuC, you may call this a "lie" if you wish, since your so far above my levels of honesty) I used the pic of Lakers Dwight because in the team U.S.A. photo Dwight's legs are 70% missing below the shorts and most importantly his posture in the image I swapped him with I just felt was appropriate for the text. You guys are straight up hilarious, complaining I cropped the team U.S.A. version of him out because I wanted him to "look shorter" and that I'm just in denial about his size or something Do you guys not think I would have had enough IQ to line up the Laker version so that he was IDENTICAL in scale to the cropped team U.S.A. version in that image? I made this image recently:

But I'm sure abuC will find a pixel wrong with it or something and suggest it was a deliberate fabrication on my part to leave out said pixels or w/e in order to push forward a lie

P.S. Dwight is shorter than Chris Bosh in the team U.S.A. photo... P.S. the height to the top of his head is the SAME in the Lakers version as the 2008 photo.... P.S. his shoulders and posture in the image I swapped him with makes him actually appear even bigger and more imposing. In other words your an idiot for even trying to complain and bring it up
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 01-19-2013 at 12:44 PM.

NBA rookie of the year

Dwight isn't shorter than Bosh in that photo. Bosh has big hair, but it clearly looks like the top of Dwight's head is higher than where the top of Bosh's would be. Not to mention how much higher his shoulders are. Dwight is even slouching a little.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Do you have a larger version of this one?

Good work, if I haven't said so yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung
    Do you have a larger version of this one?

Good work, if I haven't said so yet.
    sure here you go, I'm glad someone likes them
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-p...%2520scale.jpg

CavsFTW, have you done anything like this with David Robinson, Ewing, and Mutombo? I've heard/read how big and imposing Robinson looked; more-so than one realized, especially in person. It'd be interesting to see how legit Mutombo's 7'2" is/was, too.

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    CavsFTW, have you done anything like this with David Robinson, Ewing, and Mutombo? I've heard/read how big and imposing Robinson looked; more-so than one realized, especially in person. It'd be interesting to see how legit Mutombo's 7'2" is/was, too.
    Sure i'll hunt for the pics that meet the correct criteria for scaling purposes and see if I can do one of those guys - also gonna find Nate Thurmond/Willis Reed/etc and see how they scale up to these other all-time centers

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Sure i'll hunt for the pics that meet the correct criteria for scaling purposes and see if I can do one of those guys - also gonna find Nate Thurmond/Willis Reed/etc and see how they scale up to these other all-time centers
    Thanks. Just thought it'd be interesting to see some of the great centers from the 90's compared size wise against some of older era guys. Mainly Wilt and Kareem (Russell too, so people can maybe see he's not quite as undersized as we thought, he'd be listed at 6'11" in today's game) but I've read Thurmond was an animal and had a lot of length.
    Last edited by KG215; 01-19-2013 at 07:49 PM.

Tyson Chandler is over 7 feet tall.

Dirk is 6'11' Or 6'11 1/2" without shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    Tyson Chandler is over 7 feet tall.

Dirk is 6'11' Or 6'11 1/2" without shoes.
    Chandler is 6-11.5 w/o shoes.

Also I've found that "media day" shots (ESPECIALLY if their shoes aren't in the frame) are typically distorted, because the camera is "too close" to the subjects. The best shots for scaling purposes are rather distant shots with a 35-50mm focal length for the least amount of distortion though up to 400mm seems to work if there's only one subject. If there are multiple subjects in a frame you need to see all of the subjects feet to see where they are standing in relation to another player - there's actually a lot of optical things that need to fall into place to be able to legitimately say player A. is taller/larger than player B. It's very difficult to find a shot framed where multiple players are standing perfectly next to each other free of image/optics distorition - though some can be found like the team U.S.A. photo which was a 35mm lens taken from far away and all the players were lined up on the same plane - basically the perfect conditions for a minimal distortion way of seeing how big those guys are in relation to each other.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 01-19-2013 at 07:38 PM.

Why do people not understand that players in Wilt and Russell's era were listed by their actual heights, not in-shoes height? Not that it would make much of a difference with the shoes they were wearing. I remember reading something about how Russell was very comparable size and length wise to Dwight Howard despite Howard being listed at 6'11" and Russell at 6'9". Not sure why people are surprised at how much bigger Wilt looks compared to him given that Wilt is 7'1" and change without shoes and Dwight is 6'9" without shoes.

As for Dirk, wasn't he measured at 6'10" without shoes? That'd easily explain why the 6'11.5" Chandler clearly looks taller than the 6'10" Dirk. And, obviously, means he's not easily over 7'0". In shoes, sure, but not without.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Cavs summarily destroys "Chamberlain Played in a Short Era Myth."