Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default When People say "We" when referring to their favorite sports team

When do you consider it acceptable?

A high school team you are currently playing for?
    A high school/local team you once played for?
    A college team of a school you are attending/attended?
    A Pro team from your home state?
    A team you just like a player from?
    A team you just like the color scheme of?

Default Re: When People say "We" when referring to their favorite sports team

i rarely say "we," but who cares if people say we or not. they're not actually saying they're a part of the organization

OK:

Not OK:

Imagine someone saying "We (the Heat) will go after Player A next year." Then I think.. oh really? you have some say in it?

I never do this unless I'm actually on the team.

Local High School Star west_tip's Avatar

As long as you are a legit fan I don't have a problem with people saying "we".

Its bandwagoners/frontrunners who sound ridiculous saying "we".

Quote Originally Posted by goldenryan
    When do you consider it acceptable?

I have a problem with the bolded.

Formally, it should never be said unless you are actually on the team.

I say it on ISH sometimes though since it is faster to type

The only time I get on a fan saying we is to be a d!ck. Pretty much sums up this thread and people who get on folks for using we.

Quote Originally Posted by ripthekik
    Imagine someone saying "We (the Heat) will go after Player A next year." Then I think.. oh really? you have some say in it?
    Actgually yes they do. Imagine if "we" the casual fan didn't go to any of their games to pay for them. In the end, all of us has a say on it...together.

End the end, I don't give a f*ck to be honest. I have better things to worry about then something so petty. as this shit.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by DStebb716
    i rarely say "we," but who cares if people say we or not. they're not actually saying they're a part of the organization
    I am the same way, and I agree. I have a friend whose pet peeve is folks who say "we" when referring to a team they follow. I suppose I understand his issue from a technical standpoint, but I just differ in terms of allowing it to bother me. When people say "we", I get the point, and I think that's what counts.

I don't think I've ever known someone who said "we" in lieu of "the team for which I am a fan" because he actually thought he was somehow an active member of their organization. I've just taken it as a shorter, easier way of referring to the team at hand, even slightly simpler than saying "they're", and perhaps leaving less room for confusion. If a person is a Raptors fan and during a game they say, "Man, they're going to have to start turning up the defensive intensity", there's potential to wonder, "Who needs to turn up the defensive intensity?" Sure, he could say, "The Raptors need to turn up the intensity" and that'd work, but it's also clear who he's talking about (and most concise) when he says "we".

All that said, I understand there's douchey fans that exist out there where a lot of things I'd allow from other people, would suddenly sound objectionable from the douche guys. "We" has the potential to sound ridiculous depending on how certain folks say it, but I have a high tolerance, so I don't object very often.

National High School Star

Never understood why people got so **** about this. Yeah if you're some bandwagon fan that switches every few years saying "we" might be a bit much. But if you're a lifelong fan of a team and you support them then why can't you say we? Considering you might be rooting for the team longer than many of the actual players, why can't you say we?

Earned not given

I think if you're a season ticket holder or regularly go to games to support your team, then it's perfectly acceptable. Without the fans, there is no team.

Banned

I say we because I actually believe I'm part of the team in some mysterious ways.

Quote Originally Posted by chosen_one6
    Without the fans, there is no team.
    Very much agreed...

Who cares? I say we when talking about teams I support.

For example, if I'm watching football I think it sounds better to say
    "We need to run the ball more"
    rather than saying
    "The bears need to run the ball more"

I just think it sounds unnatural to have to say "the Bears" before I say anything about them