Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Very good NBA starter

Default Re: 66% of NBA GMs call Kobe the best shooting guard in the league

Quote Originally Posted by Horde of Temujin
    The other 34% are the gm's if the Bobcats, Magic, Pistons, Houston, Golden State, Tor, Sac, Clev., Wizards, and Phx.
    ROFL I was thinking this today. Which GM's would actually vote against Kobe? You're probably just guessing at the teams, but I wouldn't be surprised if even Pat Riley voted for Kobe.

National High School Star Nevaeh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    This is the only players I see with Kobe if he's considered Top 5 (and this is a big IF, taking into account how he played all-year and next year too):

Jordan
    Russell
    Wilt
    Kareem

^With those guys above him, so Kobe being exactly @ #5. Nev, I know you will disagree (don't mind that), but that's what I see the consensus agreeing with.
    I respect that Legends, but for me, Kobe's B-ball IQ and impact keeps him out of the top 5 , and Magic's still got him trumped in both departments. Plus Kobe had the luxury of not having the be his team's focal point for 8 years of his career, where as those other guys didn't. They were expected to come in and produce immediately, which they all did.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevaeh
    So you would have Kobe over Wilt and Bird? Just curious.
    Well, it'd still be debatable in my opinion but I'd strongly consider it. I do my top 10 with more weight on peak play. I don't completely discount longevity, accolades, etc. but I tend to value peak play when comparing players. Obviously that seems a little hypocritical since I have Russell #2 all-time, but the more I read about him, the more I understand he was very dominant at his best in facets of the game that simply can't be measured by numbers.

Basically, when it comes down to two players I ask myself "which of these two players do I feel would give me a better chance at winning a championship (or championships) if I built a team around them. Obviously I have to consider other things like accolades, stats, etc. when it's close, but that's my basis for ranking players.

Out of my top 10 (Jordan, Russell, Magic, Kareem, Wilt, Bird, Shaq, Duncan, Kobe, Hakeem) I'd choose the other nine over Kobe when answering that question but, at some point, you have to step back and look at Kobe's longevity and how impressive it is that he's been able to play at an elite level for so long. Like BlackVVaves said in another thread, at some point 17-19 years of Kobe Bryant does become more valuable than 13 years of someone like Bird. I think Bird at his peak was better than Kobe at his peak, but I'd get an extra 5+ years of Kobe at an elite level than I would Bird.

Basically, if Kobe won another ring I wouldn't laugh at people who want to argue he's a top 5 player all-time, and would even give some consideration to putting him in my top 5.
    Last edited by KG215; 10-22-2012 at 10:36 PM.

Operat.Northwoods=9/11 Horde of Temujin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    ROFL I was thinking this today. Which GM's would actually vote against Kobe? You're probably just guessing at the teams, but I wouldn't be surprised if even Pat Riley voted for Kobe.
    Ya, i just thought of the worst managed teams in the league. I forgot about Riley though, Im sure he voted for Wade.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    I'm not even a Kobe fan and I've got to say; when was this ever even a debate?
    Anytime in the last few years barring last season when Wade played injured.

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    Basically, if Kobe won another ring I wouldn't laugh at people who want to argue he's a top 5 player all-time, and would even give some consideration to putting him in my top 5.
    How does winning a ring playing on a stacked team make him a better player, given that he is winding down?

Oh, its the NBA I forgot.

How I feel in ur head maybeshewill13's Avatar

For once I'm agreeing with Kobe stans, Kobe > Wade (judging purely by last season. Guess it's no surprise considering Wade was injured most of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Lakers
    John Wooden said Kobe was the best hed ever seen play the game. While I disagree, just throwing it out there because its John Wooden. RIP. Anyway, any yall here think its plausible for Kobe Bean to get number 7 before he retires?
    A reporter said that John Wooden told him that.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    you spew our filth just becuse the majority thought Kobe was the Best SG in the NBA??

really?

NewsFlash...he is the best SG in the NBA....and has been since 00' - 01'....that's real life.
    In 2009 Wade was better, and arguably in a few other seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    How does winning a ring playing on a stacked team make him a better player, given that he is winding down?

It depends on the manner in which he wins the ring. I'm not going to knock LeBron for every championship he wins with the Heat, so I'm sure as hell not going to do it to Kobe.

At the end of the day, if Kobe wins another championship he will have six rings; three as a very good and very integral "second banana", two as "the man", and one to be decided. Factor that in with all his other accomplishments, and his longevity and, at some point, you have to start considering him in that top 5 all-time discussion. It'd just be too much to ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by G-train

I agree with this sentiment. Not sure how Kobe moves up at this point, especially since his stans are always saying "If Kobe loses with this team it doesn't matter his legacy is already set." Well, then same applies if he wins

Seems some GM's based it on last season, and didnt predict it for 12/13.
    This thread in 12 months will be 90% Wade.
    10% being, Kupchak and whatever bozos are running the Magic and Suns.

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    It depends on the manner in which he wins the ring. I'm not going to knock LeBron for every championship he wins with the Heat, so I'm sure as hell not going to do it to Kobe.

At the end of the day, if Kobe wins another championship he will have six rings; three as a very good and very integral "second banana", two as "the man", and one to be decided. Factor that in with all his other accomplishments, and his longevity and, at some point, you have to start considering him in that top 5 all-time discussion. It'd just be too much to ignore.
    I'm not really talking just about Kobe, I'm talking about the principle in general.
    Ray Allen doesnt move up my all time list for winning a ring with the Celtics.
    In fact I dont have an alltime list, they are dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    I agree with this sentiment. Not sure how Kobe moves up at this point, especially since his stans are always saying "If Kobe loses with this team it doesn't matter his legacy is already set." Well, then same applies if he wins
    Not really. His legacy is already set, but that doesn't mean he can't move up.

He definitely goes up on the list if he wins a ring this year averaging somewhere around 25-5-5. Probably to about 5 or so on my list.

66% only.. It should had been 100% easily.. Lol at some GMs voting for Wade.. They really hate Kobe that much..