Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

Default Was Mike Brown really a good coach?

Many say that the Cleveland Cavaliers are struggling because of LeBron James's departure. If so, should Mike Brown have earned Coach of the Year honors for their victories? Because what if Mike Brown coached the Cavaliers right now instead of Byron Scott? Would that have made a difference? Would the Cavaliers still be failing? So, was Mike Brown really a good coach or did the Cavaliers just win because of LeBron James?

College star

Default Re: Was Mike Brown really a good coach?

Quote Originally Posted by no pun intended
    Many say that the Cleveland Cavaliers are struggling because of LeBron James's departure. If so, should Mike Brown have earned Coach of the Year honors for their victories? Because what if Mike Brown coached the Cavaliers right now instead of Byron Scott? Would that have made a difference? Would the Cavaliers still be failing? So, was Mike Brown really a good coach or did the Cavaliers just win because of LeBron James?
    plz tell me u are joking? mike browns playbook was give lebron the ball and get the hell out of the way.

Banned

No. He had good defensive schemes but he was so stubborn that if even the schemes were failing like in 09 against Orlando and 10 against Celtics, he wont adjust at all. Lets not even get started on his offense

Quote Originally Posted by no pun intended

Byron Scott also won the NBA Coach of the year, and he also led the Nets in the 2002 and 2003 NBA Finals.

Scott is a better coach than Brown.

caillou swag

he was okay Bryon Scott is better

Quote Originally Posted by asdf1990
    plz tell me u are joking? mike browns playbook was give lebron the ball and get the hell out of the way.

This

http://insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207724

Straight from Coach Brown's mouth. "you don't need to draw up plays for Bron. And sometimes the best thing is to just let him go do his thing."

College superstar

LeBron fans discount the Cavs' loss of Mike Brown and various players like Shaq, Big Z and Delonte, along with them being riddled with injuries this year all you want, but can you please explain why last year's Cavs managed to have a better record than this year's Heat after the first 52 games?

2011 Heat after 52 games- 38-14
    2010 Cavs after 52 games- 41-11

Please don't use any excuses about a "period of adjustment", either. Supposedly, LeBron can join any team in the league and turn them into a 60+ win team all by himself with no regard to who is in the lineup according to his disciples. There should be no reason for the 2011 Heat to have a similar record as last year's Cavs if LeBron's previous team was truly that awful.

And if you still think the Cavs' success was solely because of LeBron, why couldn't he even make the playoffs without Mike Brown as coach?

2005: Cavs go 42-40, miss playoffs
    2006: Cavs hire Mike Brown, go 50-32 and take Detroit to 7 games in the second round

Also, Cleveland managed to win 50 games and make the Finals in 2007 with LeBron posting inferior overall stats compared to his last season without Mike Brown coaching.

Lebron James in '05: 27.2 points per game, 47.2% field goal percentage, 75% free throw percentage, 35.1% three-point percentage, 7.4 rebounds, 7.2 assists and 2.2 steals per game.

Lebron James in '07: 27.3 points per game, 47.6% field goal percentage,. 69.8% free throw percentage, 31.9% 3-point percentage 6.7 rebounds per game, 6 assists per game, 1.6 steals per game.

For all the times I've heard people disparage Mike Brown, it's hard to ignore the turnaround Cleveland had when he took over. They went from missing the playoffs for consecutive seasons with LeBron, and then nearly making it to the Eastern Conference Finals the very next season with no major additions other than Larry Hughes who only played in 36 games.

I don't think the Cavs were a particularly loaded team by any stretch of the imagination, but the amount of abuse hurled towards Cleveland over the past year by LeBron supporters (who were all cheering for Cleveland last year) has been ridiculous. Cleveland's turn for the worse was a result of losing most of their front court with no legitimate replacements and the loss of their best asset and coach. They also had one of the biggest front courts last year and now they are undersized at practically every position. I'm sorry, but 6'3'' Sessions and Antawn Jamison hardly make up for the giant hole in the middle that Cleveland now has. I'll admit that some fans have gone overboard with their hate for LeBron and have been unreasonable with some of the things they've said. I don't think Cleveland was guaranteed to win it all and they didn't have the best supporting cast in the league, either. I won't deny these things, but how anyone can say that they had no shot at winning the championship is beyond me. They had the best record in the league, swept the eventual champions in their regular season series and were heavily favored to beat Boston in the second round with home court advantage. How does a team like that have no shot whatsoever at winning it all?

Local High School Star

Good Coach but he was too scared of Lebron. Unfortunately Spoelstra is the same but is little bit better

He Was The Right Coach

Mike Brown had excellent defense, taught to him by Gregg Popovich. He just didn't know what to do with the offense, he pretty much left it up to LeBron to run it. The season or 2 we had John Kuester as an assistant, he ran a lot of offense for us. People talk about how bad we are losing LeBron, Shaq, Z, Delonte. We also lost our coach and our defensive system. Byron Scott runs Princeton offense, not LeBron offense. People like Andy V and Boobie Gibson have never played in any other defensive or offensive system besides Brown's and LeBron's up until now. I guess you can compare it a lot to the 99 Bulls.

Learning to shoot layups Aye Dee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ne 1
    LeBron fans discount the Cavs' loss of Mike Brown and various players like Shaq, Big Z and Delonte, along with them being riddled with injuries this year all you want, but can you please explain why last year's Cavs managed to have a better record than this year's Heat after the first 52 games?

Please don't use any excuses about a "period of adjustment", either. Supposedly, LeBron can join any team in the league and turn them into a 60+ win team all by himself with no regard to who is in the lineup according to his disciples. There should be no reason for the 2011 Heat to have a similar record as last year's Cavs if LeBron's previous team was truly that awful.

And if you still think the Cavs' success was solely because of LeBron, why couldn't he even make the playoffs without Mike Brown as coach?

2006: Cavs hire Mike Brown, go 50-32 and take Detroit to 7 games in the second round

Also, Cleveland managed to win 50 games and make the Finals in 2007 with LeBron posting inferior overall stats compared to his last season without Mike Brown coaching.

Lebron James in '05: 27.2 points per game, 47.2% field goal percentage, 75% free throw percentage, 35.1% three-point percentage, 7.4 rebounds, 7.2 assists and 2.2 steals per game.

Lebron James in '07: 27.3 points per game, 47.6% field goal percentage,. 69.8% free throw percentage, 31.9% 3-point percentage 6.7 rebounds per game, 6 assists per game, 1.6 steals per game.

For all the times I've heard people disparage Mike Brown, it's hard to ignore the turnaround Cleveland had when he took over. They went from missing the playoffs for consecutive seasons with LeBron, and then nearly making it to the Eastern Conference Finals the very next season with no major additions other than Larry Hughes who only played in 36 games.

I don't think the Cavs were a particularly loaded team by any stretch of the imagination, but the amount of abuse hurled towards Cleveland over the past year by LeBron supporters (who were all cheering for Cleveland last year) has been ridiculous. Cleveland's turn for the worse was a result of losing most of their front court with no legitimate replacements and the loss of their best asset and coach. They also had one of the biggest front courts last year and now they are undersized at practically every position. I'm sorry, but 6'3'' Sessions and Antawn Jamison hardly make up for the giant hole in the middle that Cleveland now has. I'll admit that some fans have gone overboard with their hate for LeBron and have been unreasonable with some of the things they've said. I don't think Cleveland was guaranteed to win it all and they didn't have the best supporting cast in the league, either. I won't deny these things, but how anyone can say that they had no shot at winning the championship is beyond me. They had the best record in the league, swept the eventual champions in their regular season series and were heavily favored to beat Boston in the second round with home court advantage. How does a team like that have no shot whatsoever at winning it all?

NBA rookie of the year ginobli2311's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ne 1

mike brown brought a defensive mentality which obviously helped lebron and the cavs grow. but you seriously under estimate the importance of hughes...sad that hughes was such a key piece of the cavs, but he brought a ton to the table....especially in brown's schemes.

people always forget that the cavs lost hughes for pretty much the entire finals in 07 and it was a big reason why they looked like a different team. his all around defense was so key for that team. on the stat sheet hughes would look terrible i'm sure, but he actually was probably their 2nd most valuable player if you ask me.

but back to brown. he's a good defensive guy. but he's terrible in series playoff adjuster and his offensive sets were a joke. although he really didn't have much to work with offensively outside of lebron. but he struggled in lineup rotations and adjustments in the playoffs big time.

7-time NBA All-Star

They'd probably be noticeably better because they'd be a better defensive team. I think that with Mike Brown and a healthy team, they'd be a 35-40 win team if they were giving the same effort they gave when Lebron was there.

great regular season coach.

Quote Originally Posted by asdf1990
    Thats the best way to play with a superstar like Bron though. You saw how much the Heat struggled when Spoelstra tried to micromanage everything and operate everything off plays, right? And you remember how uninterested Bron used to look on D? If it wasn't for Brown I don't see LeBron developing into half the defender he currently is (although he might be better on offense without the ball in his hands).

I think in today's NBA a coach should be more concerned about teaching players sets and ensuring that they talk on the court so they can make plays on their own instead of trying to dictate the game from the sidelines.