Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Default Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars 7 in 2015

Quote Originally Posted by rezznor
    dude..the prequels were terrible, especially the first one. and this is coming from someone who caught the midnight showing.
    First two were turrible but the 3rd was good

Quote Originally Posted by red1
    First two were turrible but the 3rd was good
    Man, that's like saying one loaf of shit is better than two others because the third one has some corn in it.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

I understand people not liking them. They weren't as good as the originals. Nowhere near them. The prequels had sooooo much hype. You had grown men forcing their kids to the theatre just to see the movie. Star Wars is an old film that kids from the current generation grew up on. I had a little cousin who's like 5 years younger than me(I'm born in '91) and those originals were his childhood movie, which is pretty nuts.

They were NEVER going to live up to that. Still thought they were decent. Ewan McGregor, Liam Neeson, Natalie Portman etc. were all really solid. Samuel Jackson played his part good, you had Yoda. Anakin's actors were the worst for me personally, and fully understanding people thinking they were bad movies.

Only reason they are considered worse than just you're run of the mill bad movie is because it's Star Wars and people's expectations were far too high. Besides that it's just you're regular box office movie that's hit or miss, miss for the majority.

Disney can't do worse than the prequels, and Disney has done alright with Marvel.

At least we'll always have the originals.

Star wars has been over saturated for the past 15 years but if you take Lucas's first three films THX 1138, American Graffiti, and the first Star Wars , you can see he was a talented film maker. It would have been interesting to see what kind of films he would have made if star wars didn't get as successful as it became.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    When was the last time you watched the prequels? They were objectively terrible movies.
    About a week and a half ago I watched episode 1 again... The part with Jar-jar and the jedi travelling thru the core to save Amidala was actually a very funny scene.. Once I got over how much jar-jar was annoying me? I really enjoyed the scene.... The end of the flick is one of the best duels in Starwars period...

Episode 2 was cool too.. I like Obi Wan's journey to figure out what was going on with the clone army... I thought Anakin's story was done poorly though, he kept raging out and there wasnt enough context to explain why in a logical manner.

I can typically understand why people like some movies that I don't (I get why people love Transformers even though I can't stand it), but everything about the prequels is bad. Boring to look at, bad acting, horrendous story, and retroactively make the original trilogy worse with all that "midoclorian" bullshit or however it's spelled. Really, if you like the prequels, I want to know why, other than just "because it's Star Wars!"
    The story was great... If you watch the emperor's story unfold, it is very good IMO... Obi Wan was great in his role... I dont personally have a problem with the midichorian explanation. It was a nice explanation for what is going on and we can move forward with the more important aspects of the plot...

I like Star Wars because it was built on a powerful myth that some kid was birthed to a virgin woman and became the chosen one... Star Wars always had alot of action in it, but to me, the best parts of Starwars dont involve fighting.. They revolve around things like Luke's training under Yoda, and then compare that to Anakin and Obi-Wan's training in the Temple during the Republic. I like the story, and I know Lucas knows how to keep that thread running through all his stories because he has done it for many years..

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Maybe we can get a film surrounding Darth Plagueis

I still can't believe how sh*t episode 1 and 2 were.

Remember this? It's like they got a room full of virgins and asked them to write a romance story

Funny thing is that you'll get more of this from disney

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    I love it. I'm in the 1% who actually liked the prequels Besides the actors who played Anakin(Llyod, that Hayden dude) who were beyond awful I really enjoyed them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasheed1
    I think Im wit you.... I didnt love the prequels, but go back and watch them sometimes, and the worst part (Worse than Jar-jar or anything else) was how Anakin seemed like an empty character. The story progressed in a way that mad him out to be just some arrogant little whiny kid. The book was much better... I even check out the Cg series and that gives a much better view of Anakin and makes it easier to see how he became Vader..

Palpatine & the story behind his ascension was brillant though.
    +1 The casting director is to blame, hayden as anakin came across as selfish emo punk and was impossible to root for.

Notice how the only decent movie in the trilogy came when they minimized character development and said fukk this we're gonna start blowing shit up

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by goldenryan
    Star wars has been over saturated for the past 15 years but if you take Lucas's first three films THX 1138, American Graffiti, and the first Star Wars , you can see he was a talented film maker. It would have been interesting to see what kind of films he would have made if star wars didn't get as successful as it became.
    I agree, and he had a hand in the Indiana Jones movies too. The man lost his way in his quest for gold. But the best of the series, Empire Strikes Back, was neither written nor directed by him. RIP Irwin Kershner.

Question for you guys- who would you have in your dream lineup to helm the new trilogy?

Banned

If their making eps 7,8,9 (why no numerals?) they had better be making the thrawn trilogy. If not it's going to suck. Why not pick another time period and set it in the star wars universe with new characters so you don't ruin the existing chronology? Make an old republic or a legacy era film.
    This also probably means dark horse will give up the comics licence to Marvel I guess? Dark Horse have made some great star wars comic series which will suck to not see any more. Knowing Marvel though maybe we'll see x-men vs jedi or something as that's how they drum up interest these days.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    Can't fvcking believe some people here are bitching about this. Yeah, this is going to ruin the franchise, as if the prequels didn't already stomp the life out of it and piss on its corpse. Also, are we forgetting who owns Marvel? Pixar? Yeah, those two have sure been pumping out nothing but trash ever since Disney bought them...

Also, as one article stated, Lucas is going to be the creative consultant for the films, but has said that it's time for a new generation of film makers to do the series. THIS IS A GOOD THING.
    This is the same man who completely ruined Indiana Jones as well. Dont understimate his power.

+1 The casting director is to blame, hayden as anakin came across as selfish emo punk and was impossible to root for.
    Yeah Anakin was difficult to like and his conversion seemed forced.

Notice how the only decent movie in the trilogy came when they minimized character development and said fukk this we're gonna start blowing shit up

This is true, and it is partially Lucas own fault. He is the one who set the bar soo high for graphics and action sequences in movies. They sorta just lived off the duel scenes & the action because he bungled the story telling part of it in the prequels

Some one mentioned Empire Strikes Back and Kershner.. I agree he made the best film of them all... Mostly because he was able to blend all the same stuff into that film perfectly (romance, storytelling, action, surprise ending).

Quote Originally Posted by Rasheed1
    Funny thing is that you'll get more of this from disney
    Oh god no. Will convert to star trek on the spot if they pull that shit again.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    I agree, and he had a hand in the Indiana Jones movies too. The man lost his way in his quest for gold. But the best of the series, Empire Strikes Back, was neither written nor directed by him. RIP Irwin Kershner.

Question for you guys- who would you have in your dream lineup to helm the new trilogy?
    Good question. All I ask for is someone who would give the trilogy a dark tone, none of that goofy jar-jar virgin romance shit